TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bill Cosby on Carroll Shelby and buying a Super Snake

09KR0058

Thanks for posting this up, my boss was just telling me last Friday that he had heard this on the XM comedy channel. I'll make sure to forward this link to him.

=-=-=---=-=-=-=-

I was a huge Cosby fan. I waited for his next album to come out. I still own all of them on vinyl. It was Cosby's 200MPH routine that I heard in 1968 that made me want a Cobra. 200MPH is not a comedy routine. It is a documentary.

There are some facts (besides the beastly nature of the twin supercharged automatic transmission car) in the story. The car was returned, and eventually sold by a dealer to a guy that drove the car into the Pacific Ocean and killed himself. That is also one of the lessons about a Cobra - they are a lot of car so treat it with respect or it will kill you. Hmmm, just like the snake.

The car was plucked from the Ocean and supposedly is in England. It was resurrected but not restored until recently. "Any day now" it is supposed to be up for sale. Conventional wisdom is the owner has seen the economic impact on these kind of toys and is awaiting a recovery. I'm guessing he wants Cosby's car to sell for more the Shelby's car.

One story goes (and it may have been posted on TS somewhere) that as a student, the poster witnessed Bill Cosby slide said Cobra onto a football field, hop out and do a 45 min. to an hour routine for the students, jump back in and broadslide it out the gate. Wouldn't you have loved to been in that audience?

There are some facts (besides the beastly nature of the twin supercharged automatic transmission car) in the story. The car was returned, and eventually sold by a dealer to a guy that drove the car into the Pacific Ocean and killed himself. That is also one of the lessons about a Cobra - they are a lot of car so treat it with respect or it will kill you. Hmmm, just like the snake.

The car was plucked from the Ocean and supposedly is in England. It was resurrected but not restored until recently. "Any day now" it is supposed to be up for sale. Conventional wisdom is the owner has seen the economic impact on these kind of toys and is awaiting a recovery. I'm guessing he wants Cosby's car to sell for more the Shelby's car.

So the car went into the Pacific Ocean, then shipped from the West Coast all of the way to England.........Crazy

Any links/sites to where the car is at now in England?

Anyone remember the "other" one? Serial number #1, Cosby's was serial #2.

Remember a few years back...serial #1 Carroll's car, was refurbished and sold at BJ for 5.5mil.

Well...........I have a story about that car...sort of. A man by the name of Harley Kluxton III was the responsible party for finding Carroll's serial #1 car and repainting it back to blue, (it had been painted black along the way). Harley is and has been a longtime Ferarri dealer in North Scottsdale, AZ. He and Carroll are longtime friends as well. Harley asked Carroll to stand up on the podium at BJ and help the sale of his old car go through the auction block. History shows what happened that day!

Interestingly, for me, I met Harley at a favorite restaraunt in Scottsdale AZ. that we both frequent, and he is the SOLE reason that I got my GT500 for MSRP, as a FORD V.I.P. He overheard at the restaraunt that I was on a list at a Scottsdale stealership to be paying $5K ADM for an early production GT500. He was introduced to me at my table by the restaraunt owner, (whom was a customer of mine at my bikestore)...see the connection? Anyway, Harley told me to go get my money back from the dealership and he would see to it that I would get to order a car ASAP , and for list price. Well, you can imagine my surprise and elation! A week or so later, I get an e-mail from Rober Parker at Ford Motor Co. asking if I was ready to order my car, as Harley Kluxton says, "you want a car, right?" WOW......I was getting the royal treatment!! Signed a two year agreement with Ford that I would not sell the car until after that time. Just to ensure that I would not sell it for the profit that the stealerships were making on ADM's. It's kind of cool. Now I have this interesting storyline to go with my car, and the papertrail from Ford and Robert Parker to back it up! :)

On another interesting note...you can't write this sh!t.......Harley uses and used the Ferarri bodyshop in my small town of Fountain Hills AZ. where my bikestore was, and had the serial#1 car repainted there. This is the same shop that has done ALL of my paintwork for my spoilers and scoops over the years. They painted the side body and window scoops for my 500, to a perfect match.

If I remember correctly, the Serial #1 car is now sitting in Ron Pratts collection in Chandler Az. I think he is the one that paid the 5.5M for it.

Thanks for posting this Cosby vid. It has conjured up all of these memories for me now! :salute:

Archived