TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Priorities

VegasMichael

So I've decided to purchase a home NOT because Vegas homes are at twenty-year lows, NOT because mortgage rates remain near historical depths, NOT because my Veteran's loan allows no money down purchases with no PMI but because I want a two or three-car garage to house the GT500 I plan to purchase. How's that for having your priorities straight? Sheesh. I spend more time thinking about which Shelby I want than I do which house! LOL (I may need psychiatric help.)

Ah the 87' GN, a fine car. My mother had one that was her mid-life crisis car, it was her daily driver. She gave it to my at the time 19 year old son who just did not have the money or space to fix it so he gave it back to her. She just sold it last month to a friend of my brother who lives in NY sadly, I'll miss that car.

As a side note this past summer while heading to the CJ Pony Parts show in Harrisburg, a beautiful 87' GN passed us heading west on 78, damn good looking car.

Yes, go with the house, with interest rates where they are it is some of the cheapest money around right now. I settled on a house a year ago this past June and did also pick up a Shelby late this summer.

yup priorities r correct

You can look into getting "modified joists in the garage" I had a friend do this in tucson and installed a lift in one side of his garage..

also as a last compromise if you have "RV" parking on the side that is a good site for a lift

The deals in Vegas are all over take your time and do it right you will be happy!!!! IM NW vegas!!!

J&DGT500: Yeah, I miss that GN badly. Amazing the mods guys have done with that 231ci V6 to get sub 10 second quarter miles. I miss PA too. I was over in the northwest 'burbs of Philadelphia. PA is a good classic car state. Lots of people into fast cars from all eras.

07-2937: You're right about the real estate market here. It's gotten to the point where you ask: "How low can it go?" I'm in Henderson now but plan to buy either in Southern Highlands or Mountain's Edge most likely. I'll have to explore the joist possibility down the line. I noticed we have a good NV crowd on here too.

Edit: Put 213ci instead of 231ci.

So I've decided to purchase a home NOT because Vegas homes are at twenty-year lows, NOT because mortgage rates remain near historical depths, NOT because my Veteran's loan allows no money down purchases with no PMI but because I want a two or three-car garage to house the GT500 I plan to purchase. How's that for having your priorities straight? Sheesh. I spend more time thinking about which Shelby I want than I do which house! LOL (I may need psychiatric help.)

join the "crazy" club...I actually sold my old house & bought a different one, just so I could fit a 36' x 24' detached garage out back!!!!

You talk about priorities, after purchasing my 2011 Shelby GT500 recently, I felt that I had to overhaul my garage to make a fitting "stable" for my new Shelby. I insulated the garage fully, put up dry wall and installed a heater. You can just imagine how "pleased" my wife was when I dropped 7 grand to redo the garage for the Shelby :D

First priority accomplished: I received the loan approval letter. Next priority: find a house for my future child aka GT500! LOL

Congrats VM. Being a buyers (qualified) market should make finding/buying your house a breeze.

Best of luck.

Congrats VM. Being a buyers (qualified) market should make finding/buying your house a breeze.

Best of luck.

I think you're right. I threw in the towel last year because all the homes went to cash buyers. But it has slowed some here and there is more inventory on the market now. Prices have dropped even more the past year.

Wow. Home offer accepted. Who'd have thunk it. One small step for me, one GIANT step closer to a GT500! (Not that anyone is really interested in any of this! LOL)

VERY COOL :yahoo:

Congrats VM.. Home ownership :rockon: ....................It's worth all the hoops you must jump through to become one.

VERY COOL :yahoo:

Congrats VM.. Home ownership :rockon: ....................It's worth all the hoops you must jump through to become one.

Thanks, 500. Inspection is today. My Crown Vic keeps begging me to get him a garage-mate/girlfriend!

So, Mike, are you going to have a little Shelby open house when we are all there for the Bash?

Jim

It doesn't sound like I have even a chance of closing until the last week of January. The VA requires an enormous amount of paperwork to be filled out. I can't have an open house without a Shelby of mine own either. It would be so wrong! Have to wait. Patience might be a virtue but I am losing virtues left and right! lol.

You talk about priorities, after purchasing my 2011 Shelby GT500 recently, I felt that I had to overhaul my garage to make a fitting "stable" for my new Shelby. I insulated the garage fully, put up dry wall and installed a heater. You can just imagine how "pleased" my wife was when I dropped 7 grand to redo the garage for the Shelby :D

I had my 3-car garage insulated and rocked this last summer. I found a local guy new to the area and trying to make a name for himself who did the labor for $375.00 and I bought the drywall and insulation at The Home Depot myself for right around 200 bucks.

I bought a space heater from The Home Depot that looks like two sunflowers. It mounts on a propane tank and KICKS ASS.

It's gotta be the best 600 bucks I've ever spent. Now I can (and have been) go out and work on my car in my garage in the dead of winter. We haven't had any snow out here in Colorado Springs CO but it has been COLD. Now, I fire up the heater a little before I want to go play with the car, let it warm up the air a little and have at it.

I need to find a way to insulate my garage (metal roll-up) doors though. I have one double door and one single. They just SHED heat/cold through them.

Oh yeah, I ran my own electrical (romex) along one wall with outlets every 32" at 4' off the ground and added a couple of Wal-Mart special floresents that power off of my two original candesent bulb outlets so they're switched via the wall switch. Real simple to install with just a screw-in outlet that has two plug outlets in the sides so each one powers two 4' lengths of floresents.

UNFORTUNATELY...my wife seems to think her Benz should sit in the garage too. And right now, I have one stall completely full of fencing material (new home, no fence with it, building my own) and the "single" stall is full of Harley-Davidson's and a Suzuki dirt bike! (so it's cramped!).

Back on point...insulate your garage. You will NOT regret it. Hell, just the extra LIGHT (from the reflection of the white walls) makes it worth while.

Finally enjoying the Colorado winters,

Phill Pollard

joebob948 and 2010KonaBlueGT: We've got the opposite problem here in Vegas. Summer is when we hide away. From mid-May until early October the AC runs 24/7. But October through May is nice. Our winters are usually 50s and 60s, sometimes 70 during the day and usually high 30s and 40s at night. I think I can avoid having to insulate the garage. Anyway, the home I signed a purchase agreement for was inspected last Friday and except for a few minor things looks good to go. Can't wait till this house stuff is all over so I can concentrate on important things like deciding what kind of Shelby to buy. (!)

joebob948 and 2010KonaBlueGT: We've got the opposite problem here in Vegas. Summer is when we hide away. From mid-May until early October the AC runs 24/7. But October through May is nice. Our winters are usually 50s and 60s, sometimes 70 during the day and usually high 30s and 40s at night. I think I can avoid having to insulate the garage. Anyway, the home I signed a purchase agreement for was inspected last Friday and except for a few minor things looks good to go. Can't wait till this house stuff is all over so I can concentrate on important things like deciding what kind of Shelby to buy. (!)

Let's face it. In the main 48 you're going to spend some part of the year inside - it's either too hot or too cold. Given that, I much prefer the deserts of the Southwest. Dry heat works best for me, and given the choice between hot or cold, and if you're inside for 3 or 4 months of the year, all I can say is that I've never had to shove 4 feet of 105*F off my driveway. I grew up in Iowa/South Daktoa and can't stand humidity and will not be disappointed if I never set foot in the state of Florida.

Congratulations on your new digs!

• 2 weeks later...

joebob948 and 2010KonaBlueGT: We've got the opposite problem here in Vegas. Summer is when we hide away.

Just remember...insulation works BOTH ways!

It keeps the cold OR the heat out. We have hot summers here too but I just open both garage doors and run a big box fan to circulate the air.

Having said that, it's probably easier to heat a garage than to cool it. Maybe add a HVAC duct from your central air into the garage?

I also found out that those "sunflower" catalytic heaters sold at Home Improvement stores EAT propane...I went through a full tank in 2 days!

Lesson learned so I started only using one of the "flowers". It took 4 days to eat the second tank! Sheesh, at 13 bucks a tank that can get expensive.

I think a electric heater is in my future!

Phill

Just remember...insulation works BOTH ways!It keeps the cold OR the heat out. We have hot summers here too but I just open both garage doors and run a big box fan to circulate the air.Having said that, it's probably easier to heat a garage than to cool it. Maybe add a HVAC duct from your central air into the garage?I also found out that those "sunflower" catalytic heaters sold at Home Improvement stores EAT propane...I went through a full tank in 2 days!Lesson learned so I started only using one of the "flowers". It took 4 days to eat the second tank! Sheesh, at 13 bucks a tank that can get expensive.I think a electric heater is in my future!Phill

Does continuous heat in the 100-120 degree range for 5 months have any adverse effects on a parked car in a garage?

Good for you! It is warming to the heart to know that I am not the only one with the same set of priorities.

Archived