TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil change indicator

cobra2564

Have 2010 GT500. Changed oil at 641 miles. At 3998 the indicator said " 4% oil life left, change oil soon". In the book it says you can go 7500 miles. I was and am planning to change at 3000 miles, plus or minus anyway but does anyone know how this count works? Does it just count miles or does it count crank revolutions? I have a 2001 GMC Yukon and the manual says it counts revs so if you are towing and running more rpms, the indicator will come on sooner. I also see in the Shelby OM that you can reset the miles for the reminder to come on. Has anyone messed with this more than I? How do you know what it is currently set at? Anyone? Thanks.

Have 2010 GT500. Changed oil at 641 miles. At 3998 the indicator said " 4% oil life left, change oil soon". In the book it says you can go 7500 miles. I was and am planning to change at 3000 miles, plus or minus anyway but does anyone know how this count works? Does it just count miles or does it count crank revolutions? I have a 2001 GMC Yukon and the manual says it counts revs so if you are towing and running more rpms, the indicator will come on sooner. I also see in the Shelby OM that you can reset the miles for the reminder to come on. Has anyone messed with this more than I? How do you know what it is currently set at? Anyone? Thanks.

That is just an "idiot" light so to speak. The computer has no earthly idea what the oil life is. Or how much oil life is left. The light works as a timer. It will illuminate every 6 months or so, regardless of miles. The ford warranty states the oil must be changed at a minimum of every 6 months. Hence the light. Hope this helps.

Chris

it just goes by time elapsed or mileage,whicever cames first Im pretty sure.I dont put manymiles on mine so i always note the day i changed it--i do mine once a year. I have never heard of counting revs,really??

That is just an "idiot" light so to speak. The computer has no earthly idea what the oil life is. Or how much oil life is left. The light works as a timer. It will illuminate every 6 months or so, regardless of miles.

I'm pretty sure you're right. If I remember right, my oil change reminder was on when I started the car after sitting in winter storage for about 3 mos, without ever starting the engine! And the dealer sends me a reminder ever X months (either 3 or 6, I CRS).

That's too bad. Ford really missed the boat on this one. My wife's Mercedes SUV samples the oil and gives you engine oil life based on the chemical composition of the oil, not on time or mileage.

For some reason her car eats about 1/2 quart of oil per ~1500 miles of FREEWAY driving. We can put a million miles on it around town and it doesn't eat a drop....head out to California and the low oil light will come on SOMETIME during the trip. But when I add a quart, the percentage of oil life goes UP...because of the added quart of fresh oil.

When I change the oil on her car, I don't have to reset the oil life indicator. It automatically goes to 100%.

I *do* have to reset the service interval light however, just not the "percentage of oil life" left number.

I think BMW does the same thing (both Euro cars, hmmm).

Like I said, I think Ford misssed the boat. With ALL the computers and computer technology on a car today, it would be REAL easy to just add a sensor in the oil pan!

Phill

Yes. revs. I quote 2001 Yukon owners manual, first edition, page 6-17; " Your vehicle has a computer that lets you know when to change your oil. This is not based on mileage but on engine revolutions and engine operating tempature. When the computer has calculated that the oil needs changing, the GM Oil Life System will indicate that a change is necessary. The mileage between oil and filter changes will vary depending upon how you drive your vehicle---usually between 3000 miles and 10,000 miles since your last oil and filter change. Under severe conditions the system may come on before 3000 miles. Never drive your vehicle more than 10,000 miles or 12 months. The system wont detect dust in the oil. So, if you drive in a dusty area, be sure to change your oil and filter every 3000 miles or sonner." Unquote. This is why I wondered if the system counted crank revs. I bought the Yukon 6 years ago cause it was cheap. It was my 1st GM vehicle. ( Last too cause of bailout) I am a Ford guy from birth but it is too bad my soon to be 10 year old SUV has a better computer than my 2010 Shelby!

Yes. revs. I quote 2001 Yukon owners manual, first edition, page 6-17; " Your vehicle has a computer that lets you know when to change your oil. This is not based on mileage but on engine revolutions and engine operating tempature. When the computer has calculated that the oil needs changing, the GM Oil Life System will indicate that a change is necessary. The mileage between oil and filter changes will vary depending upon how you drive your vehicle---usually between 3000 miles and 10,000 miles since your last oil and filter change. Under severe conditions the system may come on before 3000 miles. Never drive your vehicle more than 10,000 miles or 12 months. The system wont detect dust in the oil. So, if you drive in a dusty area, be sure to change your oil and filter every 3000 miles or sonner." Unquote. This is why I wondered if the system counted crank revs. I bought the Yukon 6 years ago cause it was cheap. It was my 1st GM vehicle. ( Last too cause of bailout) I am a Ford guy from birth but it is too bad my soon to be 10 year old SUV has a better computer than my 2010 Shelby!

interesting, but they say every 12months in any case,which is what i do

Mine seems to work fine. The book says to change it every 6 months or 7500 miles whichever comes first. Mine appears to be pretty accurate at every six months. I don't drive enough miles to get 7500 miles in 6 months. I'll be doing my second oil change soon, and the percent seems about right. Mine now shows less than 10 percent, and I bought the car in December of last year. Did my first oil change and reset the meter when the percent meter was less than 10 percent remaining and it was right around 6 months from when I bought it and 3550 miles. How long has it been since your first oil change at 641 miles?

Mine seems to work fine. The book says to change it every 6 months or 7500 miles whichever comes first. Mine appears to be pretty accurate at every six months. I don't drive enough miles to get 7500 miles in 6 months. I'll be doing my second oil change soon, and the percent seems about right. Mine now shows less than 10 percent, and I bought the car in December of last year. Did my first oil change and reset the meter when the percent meter was less than 10 percent remaining and it was right around 6 months from when I bought it and 3550 miles. How long has it been since your first oil change at 641 miles?

Just changed at 4000.

Mine came on saying 4% at the 2100 mile mark... I guess its gotta be time set. I'd like to know what the dealer did when it came on as it was sitting on the show room floor since they had it for almost a year. It only 11 miles on it when I pulled it off the floor, but I gotta believe that if its time set, it had to have come on during that 345 days that it was sitting on their floor. I know it was started and moved occasionally because it was put in different spots.

I wonder if they actually changed it or just rest the counter?

I wonder if they actually changed it or just rest the counter?

As easy as it is to reset the oil change indicator......I can take a pretty good guess at which one they did!

Phill

• 3 months later...

Cant honestly answer that. Probably 6 months approx. It must be time set as they say.

I just pulled my car out the garage after 3 months (snowy and ici roads). There are just 1.000 miles more from the last oil change. Now oil life is down to 4%. But what sense does it make to change oil after only 6 months without really driving???

Would it be ok to just reset the counter and drive another 2.000 miles?

I just pulled my car out the garage after 3 months (snowy and ici roads). There are just 1.000 miles more from the last oil change. Now oil life is down to 4%. But what sense does it make to change oil after only 6 months without really driving???

Would it be ok to just reset the counter and drive another 2.000 miles?

i put 2000 mies /year on it,and change it once a year--the same with my wifes vette,also synthetic oil, so i think its fine--juts keep track of the time

Archived