TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 GT500 vs 2012 Boss 302

Cdvision

When asked about the GT500, I was told by one of the Ford reps that was working the L.A. show that there will be no GT500's shown at any auto show this year. The featured Mustang during this year's show circuit is the Boss, and that's what they are promoting front and center.

Looks like the GT500 is evolving into a step child as it enters into it's "old age".

Well the GT500 already has it's target group and it will probably sell about the same as it did last year. It's understandable that they want to keep the Boss in the limelight but with a limited run of 4000 cars (3500 regular 302's and 500 Laguna Seca's) they shouldn't have much trouble selling them all, so I guess the only reason to show them at auto shows if for Ford to brag a little.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Really, the GT500 is the undisputed King of the drop tops? You might not have seen my SGT/SC vert on a road race course yet.

Yes, undisputed King. GT500's are not built for the road courses, just as the Boss 302 is. The 500 is the bulivard cruiser, the street brawler. I doubt there will be anymore GT500's beyound this platform. The nice thing though is there is still plenty of power on tap that is easily had and Im sure SPP will keep us going for a long time. The GT500 is a true supercar, and thats not my words.

Oh, If I only could own them all :drool:

Yes, undisputed King. GT500's are not built for the road courses, just as the Boss 302 is. The 500 is the bulivard cruiser, the street brawler. I doubt there will be anymore GT500's beyound this platform. The nice thing though is there is still plenty of power on tap that is easily had and Im sure SPP will keep us going for a long time. The GT500 is a true supercar, and thats not my words.

Oh, If I only could own them all :drool:

One big factor in my deciding to not get the Boss was that it is built for the track. I don't drive on the track, I drive on the street. To me the GT500 is the King of the Street. It's look is amazing and it's a joy to cruise around town in. My car will soon be converted into a Super Snake and I cannot wait until the spring when I can raise my garage door up and roll out my new ride! It will have heads turning where ever it goes.

Well, THESE really are the days of performance war, but its all Blue Oval right now. I cant wait to see another manufacturer step up to the plate.

In the 60s and early 70s it was the big three, but if you really look at what the 5.0 and design of the 2011 Mustang GT, Ford has been left no choice but to throw the gauntlet at European manfacturers, hence the M3 comparisons, because GM and Dodge just cant seem to jump into the fray fast enough. When and if THEY join the muscle party, I forsee a shift in Ford to take on the challenges back here in the US, and then it will get REALLY interesting. At that point, (and Im seeing it as a 2012 showdown), what we will have is the biggest and best ever offered from a manufacturer, and I cant wait to see it! Then, if history truly does repeat itself, they will all drop the cause just as the muscle wars get good.:hysterical: If not, we are in for some amazing and fun times my friends.

Step up to the plate !! what planet are you living on ? Lets see the Corvette from GM has won the 24 hrs @ le- Mans the past 4 years except this year. The current Z06 will Run circles around any stock Ford product. The Z06 is 3127 lbs of pure adult fun. So don't say that ford is the only player out there. Sure they got the Mustang , But no product to match the vette except in price. Not even Ferarri can keep pace @ the track. The boys @ GM have been doing some amazing things to keep the lbs down and the power up. Don't even even mention the ZR1. Don't take my word for it check it out for yourself. Go drive one and you will not believe the experience . I know i have and no regrets.

Step up to the plate !! what planet are you living on ? Lets see the Corvette from GM has won the 24 hrs @ le- Mans the past 4 years except this year. The current Z06 will Run circles around any stock Ford product. The Z06 is 3127 lbs of pure adult fun. So don't say that ford is the only player out there. Sure they got the Mustang , But no product to match the vette except in price. Not even Ferarri can keep pace @ the track. The boys @ GM have been doing some amazing things to keep the lbs down and the power up. Don't even even mention the ZR1. Don't take my word for it check it out for yourself. Go drive one and you will not believe the experience . I know i have and no regrets.

Has the Vette ever been a direct comparison for the Mustang? I don't think so, it's a different class of car. I'm sure their owners love them but personally the Vette does nothing for me.

This with the ad hominem from every "Wrap your ass in fiberglass" t-shirt wearer being how Corvette's a "sports" car, and specifically not just a "pony" or "muscle" car? And then there's the fact that Mustang in its most expensive form barely happens to breach the threshold of Corvette's baseline price - (but with each model's fit, finish and materials leaving the exact opposite impression).

Those willing to pay the premium to own a GT500 aren't buying for the sake of the overall value proposition which, in Mustang's case, improves all the way down to the V6 which is about as much fun a driver can have for $20K out the door. Even so, there's one hell of a lot more driving fun to be had from a GT500 than any like-priced Corvette.

Not to mention that given the opportunity to squander away every nickel of billions in assets, shaft its bondholders, develop debt amnesia before crawling (or flying) to Washington for a $60B handout it doesn't have to pay back - today's Corvette's the very best GM can do? For that kind of money, NASA put man on the moon, Boeing developed an entire generation of airliners, and Michael Jackson built Neverland Ranch - and Corvette is referred-to as some sort of achievement?

I'm sure ANY of the Le Mans teams GM defeated with Corvette would LOVE a rematch given a mere $1B of the play dough funneled into the Ren-Cen (less than 1% of the money GM either defaulted or was gifted). After all, every new Corvette that leaves the lot of any dealer anywhere from this point forward is a tax levied in perpetuity upon every legitimate car maker.

I'll proudly enjoy my GT500, hold Corvette, Camaro and the whole of GM in contempt and make no apologies for either.

Well, I suppose the BOSS 302 isn't all that bad news for GT500 Convertible owners - as GT500 remains the undisputed king of the drop tops by any measure. As much as I enjoy my coupe, I really wish I had taken the opportunity to swap with the dealer who had an identical convertible before signing on the dotted line. :(

C'est la vie, I s'pose.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Really, the GT500 is the undisputed King of the drop tops? You might not have seen my SGT/SC vert on a road race course yet.

Obviously Scotty, the poser, or poster, hasn't driven an SGT/SC. Sorry for him.

I'll proudly enjoy my GT500, hold Corvette, Camaro and the whole of GM in contempt and make no apologies for either.

Madlock,

Please note that Chrysler is equally deserving of our contempt for government bailouts. In fact more so, as this is the second handout they've received from Uncle Sam in the past 3 decades.

Really, girlfriend? For 2012, which OTHER convertible would you be holding out for in 2012 between GT500 and BOSS 302?

You may want to pay attention or sit this one out - I'm sure there'll be a topic at your speed coming along any time now. It'd be a shame for you to pull (on) something trying to keep up.

Madlock,

Please note that Chrysler is equally deserving of our contempt for government bailouts. In fact more so, as this is the second handout they've received from Uncle Sam in the past 3 decades.

No argument here.

I just have a special place in my heart reserved only for the kind of uniquely-fierce contempt I have for GM. Chrysler's failure had the decency to be a fraction of the size, and Chrysler was at least not left in control of its own destiny after being bailed-out, let alone restored to a position of enjoying the top North American marketshare. Bailing-out Chrysler was no less offensive, but I can at least rationalize it to the same extent certain parts of certain buildings have to be brought up to code before they can be off-loaded.

No argument here.

I just have a special place in my heart reserved only for the kind of uniquely-fierce contempt I have for GM. Chrysler's failure had the decency to be a fraction of the size, and Chrysler was at least not left in control of its own destiny after being bailed-out, let alone restored to a position of enjoying the top North American marketshare. Bailing-out Chrysler was no less offensive, but I can at least rationalize it to the same extent certain parts of certain buildings have to be brought up to code before they can be off-loaded.

Brand loyalist or do you mean the modern GM beacause of political concerns about the bailout?

Well, I suppose the BOSS 302 isn't all that bad news for GT500 Convertible owners - as GT500 remains the undisputed king of the drop tops by any measure. As much as I enjoy my coupe, I really wish I had taken the opportunity to swap with the dealer who had an identical convertible before signing on the dotted line. :(

C'est la vie, I s'pose.

Penis envy :hysterical3:

This with the ad hominem from every "Wrap your ass in fiberglass" t-shirt wearer being how Corvette's a "sports" car, and specifically not just a "pony" or "muscle" car? And then there's the fact that Mustang in its most expensive form barely happens to breach the threshold of Corvette's baseline price - (but with each model's fit, finish and materials leaving the exact opposite impression).

Actually the highest priced Mustang right now is a fully optioned GT350 at what 90K? :hysterical:

So the vette is 53k base and 90k is equal to a ZO6 carbon and almost a ZR1 both of which I think would spank the GT350 even with the extra hp on the GT350 S/C given a driver who could drive both well enough....

The base vette, the ZO6 and the ZR1 is a freaking amazing car, period.

I am not a new Corvette guy, but just saying. Fit and finish don't mean squat at a track.

Actually the highest priced Mustang right now is a fully optioned GT350 at what 90K? :hysterical:

So the vette is 53k base and 90k is equal to a ZO6 carbon and almost a ZR1 both of which I think would spank the GT350 even with the extra hp on the GT350 S/C given a driver who could drive both well enough....

The base vette, the ZO6 and the ZR1 is a freaking amazing car, period.

I am not a new Corvette guy, but just saying. Fit and finish don't mean squat at a track.

Ford doesn't have anything to do with the GT350 other than furnishing Shelby with a base vehicle to strip. And for as much as the GT500 bears Shelby's name and as many snakes as can fit, for all intents and purposes, it's far more an SVT product with a licensing endorsement attached.

To bring-in post-title mods into the discussion, there's no reason to exclude any of the thousands of individually-modified vehicles people have done in their own garages, without paying for logo-emblazoned headrests, floor mats, and somebody else's name. And while, on one hand, I'm sure there are those who've found ways to spend money that make a $90K GT350 seem cheap by comparison, there are far MORE who've wrought 85% of GT350's power and handling for a total cost likely to make some factory GT500's look expensive by comparison.

If fit and finish are irrelevant and track performance is all that matters, anybody considering either of these vehicles is barking up the wrong tree to begin with, especially if the discussion is going to be further generalized to include every aftermarket modification with a price premium - as they'd be far better-off buying a purpose-made track car that doesn't even have to concern itself with being street legal. There are lots of ways to go faster, cheaper than either car if that's ALL that matters.

As good as Corvette may be, for the money poured in to GM and a company's ability to design and build a car without having to concern itself with profit and loss, it ought to be one hell of a lot better - in ALL its forms. The whole of Virgin Galactic hasn't spent as much to take multiple men into space at once as GM pissed away during some operating quarters. Otherwise, to compare the two within any sort of meaningful and reasonable context, which would be the forms in which they're offered by their respective manufacturers.

I just wonder what Mustang might look like if it had the benefit of a $200 tax levied upon every man woman and child in America - whether they owned one or not.

Ford doesn't have anything to do with the GT350 other than furnishing Shelby with a base vehicle to strip. And for as much as the GT500 bears Shelby's name and as many snakes as can fit, for all intents and purposes, it's far more an SVT product with a licensing endorsement attached.

To bring-in post-title mods into the discussion, there's no reason to exclude any of the thousands of individually-modified vehicles people have done in their own garages, without paying for logo-emblazoned headrests, floor mats, and somebody else's name. And while, on one hand, I'm sure there are those who've found ways to spend money that make a $90K GT350 seem cheap by comparison, there are far MORE who've wrought 85% of GT350's power and handling for a total cost likely to make some factory GT500's look expensive by comparison.

If fit and finish are irrelevant and track performance is all that matters, anybody considering either of these vehicles is barking up the wrong tree to begin with, especially if the discussion is going to be further generalized to include every aftermarket modification with a price premium - as they'd be far better-off buying a purpose-made track car that doesn't even have to concern itself with being street legal. There are lots of ways to go faster, cheaper than either car if that's ALL that matters.

As good as Corvette may be, for the money poured in to GM and a company's ability to design and build a car without having to concern itself with profit and loss, it ought to be one hell of a lot better - in ALL its forms. The whole of Virgin Galactic hasn't spent as much to take multiple men into space at once as GM pissed away during some operating quarters. Otherwise, to compare the two within any sort of meaningful and reasonable context, which would be the forms in which they're offered by their respective manufacturers.

I just wonder what Mustang might look like if it had the benefit of a $200 tax levied upon every man woman and child in America - whether they owned one or not.

+1

I can't believe we are, once again, comparing tuners to OEM. The GT500 in stock form is, hands down, the best "ALL AROUND" OEM mustang ever built. And, there is no other car in it's price range, IMO, that is better. I doubt that even the Boss will be better in an "ALL AROUND" performance competition to include track, 1/4, daily driving and more. Comfort and performance is a combination that is hard to achieve...

+1

I can't believe we are, once again, comparing tuners to OEM. The GT500 in stock form is, hands down, the best "ALL AROUND" OEM mustang ever built. And, there is no other car in it's price range, IMO, that is better. I doubt that even the Boss will be better in an "ALL AROUND" performance competition to include track, 1/4, daily driving and more. Comfort and performance is a combination that is hard to achieve...

+2... Stock for stock, best performance and comfort. Offer 1,000 car enthusiasts who don't currently own a Mustang of any type the keys to either a GT500 SVTPP or a Boss 302 LS, and hands down, the vast majority will grab the Shelby because it's the entire package and has Carroll's name on it. :superhero:

The bottom line is its a 90k dollar Mustang, available through dealers in conjunction with Shelby, as a new car. It has a window sticker saying the price.

As a guy who has driven a dragster, a stock car, and many, many sports cars, some purpose built track cars with legal plates, of all makes, foreign and domestic, superbikes, cruisers, dirtbikes and vintage MC's, vintage and modern four wheel drive vehicles, speedboats, sailboats, runabouts, twin screw yachts, gas and diesel of all makes, and wrenched on and rebuilt at least one of each, I will even admit to driving a hybrid Prius once, I can tell you that in the grand scheme of things I still think that the Vette is a great car. This one guys opinion is mine and not to be a braggart, but I have driven a lot of vehicles...to say that the Corvette is junk or a subpar vehicle is an exceedingly unthoughtful emotional response not based in the facts. At 53k for the base Vette it is a smoking deal, the professional automotive journalists in the 20 plus car magazines I recieve every month also agree. Just sayin'.

+1

Well I m driving my vote for that car...happy%20feet.gif

Also SA is a manufcturer which is why the new speed shop exists...also I am not saying that the gt 350 is not worth the price just that the cost is more than a vette and equal to the zo6 carbon. The 350 is smoking cool IMO.

Maybe, but the average modded GT500 will get dusted by a GT/SC....now yours is extensivly modded by a race shop and maybe that would pull away due to track suspension...but I'd wager 99% of the 500's out there get dusted....

IMHO, the GT500 is not well versed for road courses. Now, I say that without having driven a 2011 SVTP car.

My car is not a GT500. It is a purpose built road car. I do own an 08 500 with plennty of power though, in fact, my road car is a look alike of my GT500. The SGT is a better road course car. Of course that depends on the track. Hoursepower on road courses isn not as important as handling and most of all, driver. Superchargers are great, for a while untll they heat soak. Ill take a NA GT350 over both cars for road courses. For street, I love my GT500. Not sure why we always come back to this conversation. Each car has its place, they are all different and serve thier owners well.

The bottom line is its a 90k dollar Mustang, available through dealers in conjunction with Shelby, as a new car. It has a window sticker saying the price.

Just to give a dead horse one good whack…

Whatever a dealer may do to the cars in its inventory after Ford builds them is up to that dealer. It has absolutely nothing to do with Ford – and no more than Roush, Saleen or Steeda do. It has as much to do with Ford as pinstripes or anything else dealers add to increase gross margins.

As far as Ford or Mustang is concerned, Shelby’s GT350 treatment is a very expensive pinstripe. The same is true of any silly ADM applied. Anybody who’s actually paid the $90,000 sticker bought a $40,000 Mustang, added $30,000 of bling and overpaid another $20,000 to the dealer – no matter what he thought. For that matter, anybody who paid a $30,000 ADM didn’t buy an $85,000 GT500. They overpaid $30,000 for a $55,000 Mustang GT500 – no matter what they think.

To further clarify the distinction, GT500 is entirely a Ford product – with Shelby’s licensed name. Ford makes it, markets it and warranties the car. GT350 is entirely a Shelby product – a disassembled Mustang GT is just one of its many component parts. Shelby makes it. Shelby markets it. It’s so "Shelby" that Shelby provides the warranty. Even Jerry Lundergaard's Truecoat was more "GM" than GT350 is Ford or Mustang - "they put it on at the factory."

The extent of Ford’s involvement is delivering strippable Mustang GTs to Shelby. If any Ford marketing material has referenced GT350, it’s been no different than Roush, Saleen, or Steeda in the vein of “look what some people are doing – and so can you”. It's never been as a Ford product - beyond being based on a Mustang GT. GT350 is a Ford Mustang like Nicole Kidman was my high school girlfriend – only by imagination. Nicole never said so and neither did Ford. (Though Ford never needed a restraining order against Shelby. Sorry, Nicole. Call if you want.)

If anybody claims a GT350 to be a $90,000 Mustang, it's certainly not Ford.

Just to give a dead horse one good whack…

Whatever a dealer may do to the cars in its inventory after Ford builds them is up to that dealer. It has absolutely nothing to do with Ford – and no more than Roush, Saleen or Steeda do. It has as much to do with Ford as pinstripes or anything else dealers add to increase gross margins.

As far as Ford or Mustang is concerned, Shelby’s GT350 treatment is a very expensive pinstripe. The same is true of any silly ADM applied. Anybody who’s actually paid the $90,000 sticker bought a $40,000 Mustang, added $30,000 of bling and overpaid another $20,000 to the dealer – no matter what he thought. For that matter, anybody who paid a $30,000 ADM didn’t buy an $85,000 GT500. They overpaid $30,000 for a $55,000 Mustang GT500 – no matter what they think.

To further clarify the distinction, GT500 is entirely a Ford product – with Shelby’s licensed name. Ford makes it, markets it and warranties the car. GT350 is entirely a Shelby product – a disassembled Mustang GT is just one of its many component parts. Shelby makes it. Shelby markets it. It’s so "Shelby" that Shelby provides the warranty. Even Jerry Lundergaard's Truecoat was more "GM" than GT350 is Ford or Mustang - "they put it on at the factory."

The extent of Ford’s involvement is delivering strippable Mustang GTs to Shelby. If any Ford marketing material has referenced GT350, it’s been no different than Roush, Saleen, or Steeda in the vein of “look what some people are doing – and so can you”. It's never been as a Ford product - beyond being based on a Mustang GT. GT350 is a Ford Mustang like Nicole Kidman was my high school girlfriend – only by imagination. Nicole never said so and neither did Ford. (Though Ford never needed a restraining order against Shelby. Sorry, Nicole. Call if you want.)

If anybody claims a GT350 to be a $90,000 Mustang, it's certainly not Ford.

Your point is well said but, One could say, Ford Body, motor, trans= Ford. While you are correct when speaking of the current GT350, Historically, Ford brought Carroll in to give Ford a better racing mage

Well, again, if you would have actually read my post, you would have noticed I was speaking towards the muscle class, not the fiber"class" cars, but hey, lets look at your Z06 for a moment. The GT350 outperforms the Z06 in every single category, except top cruising speed, which doesnt exactly give it any positives unless we both happen to be driving down the salt flats and decide for a go. So, maybe I shouldnt be restricting myself to the muscle class, but I was just trying to be fair.

If you are talking Ford specifically, then what about the Ford GT? Im pretty sure a GT could take a Z06 in every category as well.

No, but seriously, GM makes the greatest cars in the world...bar none. When I owned mine I knew every service center between San Antonio and Dallas, and the name of the mechanics' kids to boot. I sure cant think of a single reason I went out and bought a Ford. :hysterical:

Its not the "24 hours" of driving, its the "anything over two weeks.":hysterical3:

I have a track dawg buddy that has a ZO6, car is fast but lately, he has nothing but issues with the car. Not dissing the car at all. I think Corvettes are the one product Cheby does right. Now, a lot of the owners are tools!

Your point is well said but, One could say, Ford Body, motor, trans= Ford. While you are correct when speaking of the current GT350, Historically, Ford brought Carroll in to give Ford a better racing mage

It's also worth noting that CS first asked GM/Chevy to provide the engine for the Cobra as well....

Well, again, if you would have actually read my post, you would have noticed I was speaking towards the muscle class, not the fiber"class" cars, but hey, lets look at your Z06 for a moment. The GT350 outperforms the Z06 in every single category, except top cruising speed, which doesnt exactly give it any positives unless we both happen to be driving down the salt flats and decide for a go. So, maybe I shouldnt be restricting myself to the muscle class, but I was just trying to be fair.

If you are talking Ford specifically, then what about the Ford GT? Im pretty sure a GT could take a Z06 in every category as well.

No, but seriously, GM makes the greatest cars in the world...bar none. When I owned mine I knew every service center between San Antonio and Dallas, and the name of the mechanics' kids to boot. I sure cant think of a single reason I went out and bought a Ford. :hysterical:

Its not the "24 hours" of driving, its the "anything over two weeks.":hysterical3:

Warren, I can't wait until spring, then you can post some track day antics with those vettes..yeehaa!

The GT was the car to compete with the Vette....as Fords ultimate car, and it is. The market has not waivered on these cars either and that is saying something real about them being amazing and beautiful. I would grab one over a Vette anyday.

Archived