TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pullies and belt dust? take a look and help!

I had the day off, so decided to kinda re-torque things and just double check that all is well... got around 700+ miles on it now with the blower... not all was with the 100mm idler and 3.25" blower pullies, but I need to know if I have issues here...

1st, the 100mm idler, has play in it, at first, I was REALLY worried, but the ribbed idler below it does too, so maybe that's just how the single bearing idlers behave? I wouldn't have expected to be able to rock either one by hand, but I can... I wish I'd have checked this before running it to know if it's different from stock.... the double bearing 90mm has NO play at all, and I put my other 90mm double bearing on where the 100mm goes, and no play with that one either. Tried a stock 90mm single, and it seems to have a little play, but not as defined as the 100mm still...

2nd, below are some pics, the 100mm idler has a fair amount of belt material stuck to it, the 90mm has just an outer line, and the little slider idler looks like a bunch is on it as well.... is this normal at all? I'm going to clean them all off before re-installing, but struck me as odd.... also seems that the play in the idler is allowing the belt to have more pressure on the inside based on what i'm seeing...

3rd, I snapped a pic of the blower pulley, is this belt dust from slipping?

Let me know what you all think, and/or if I should be concerned about any of these things!

d9e89e94.jpg

6501e40c.jpg

003871ff.jpg

13f7d482.jpg

I think thats road dirt I get that on mine as well, serp belt dust is back powder....I get dust with my Cummins Marine diesels...this looks like dirt...I dont worry about mine on the SGT/SC...I clean it off and call it good.

are you saying it's all just dirt? or just the stuff on the blower pulley or???

the odd thing, is that the tensioner pulley has NO marks at all on it, and the most dirt or whatever is on the 100mm with play and the slider right next to it... Maybe I'm just paranoid sometimes, but I just want to be sure what I'm looking at is okay!

The stuff on your blower pulley looks like dirt and I have the same. My car is in paint shop so I cannot check the the other ones now...maybe someone else could. My marine engines are painted white so the serp dust shows easy and is something the manual tells you to look for...

So maybe see if it is black powdery dust, I know for a fact that serp dust is powdery black. Thats all I know...I have seen some belt residue on my idler pullies as well...I believe it to be normal....maybe call Whiple thay have a great tech line...

thanks man, I sent Peter at thump a email with the questions, gonna see what he says first, then on to whipple... for now, all is cleaned up, at least I can see if more accumulates on the pulleys now that it's been on the car for a while....

Archived