TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A simple tire question

BlwnSn8k

I remember reading somewhere about the stock tires not working well at under 40 degrees F. I haven't been able to find it again though for some reason. I ask because I will have to drive the car at least once a week to work and we are starting to see some below 40 temps down here. I can deal with the tires not gripping very well as I can just adjust with my foot to the throttle, but can the tires be damaged by driving in cold temperatures, even though they will heat up quickly once driving? Hope I am making sense here....lol. :headscratch:

I remember reading somewhere about the stock tires not working well at under 40 degrees F. I haven't been able to find it again though for some reason. I ask because I will have to drive the car at least once a week to work and we are starting to see some below 40 temps down here. I can deal with the tires not gripping very well as I can just adjust with my foot to the throttle, but can the tires be damaged by driving in cold temperatures, even though they will heat up quickly once driving? Hope I am making sense here....lol. :headscratch:

Your tires won't be damaged because of the "cooler" weather, they just won't be as soft as when it's warmer and a harder tire won't have as much grip until warmed up.

Just drive normally, your weather is about the same as where I live and just be glad you don't live in Michigan or New York. :lol:

Your tires won't be damaged because of the "cooler" weather, they just won't be as soft as when it's warmer and a harder tire won't have as much grip until warmed up.

Just drive normally, your weather is about the same as where I live and just be glad you don't live in Michigan or New York. :lol:

hahah....Yeah I lived in the Finger Lakes region of NY for a year. I will never do it again! :banghead:

Thanks for the answers. I figured that it wouldn't actually damage the tires, but I wanted to be sure. I will just have to drive carefully during the really cold days. It is kind of cruel though considering that superchargers love the cold air so much. :happy feet:

Below 40

When I lived in Northwestern North Dakota it was very common to drive in -30 to -40 degree weather. The only tire issues I had was them freezing to the ground after parking. It made a nice "snap" sound when put in motion for the first time after sitting over night. If you have moisture in your tires it can ice up and make it feel like it is out of balance until it melts when the tire warms up.

Archived