TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Miss aligned doors

vistablueGT500

I received my car a while ago and and very happy with it. However, i have noticed a slight gap on the drivers side door. where the door meets the front quarter panel it is about 1/4 in protruding and on the back it is about 1/4 inch in. Im not sure if this is being too picky but being i spent 50grand on a car i want it to be right. What should i do, go to ford and have them rehang the doors or just kind of live with it. Juts curious.

Thanks yall

Also has anyone else noticed this?

I received my car a while ago and and very happy with it. However, i have noticed a slight gap on the drivers side door. where the door meets the front quarter panel it is about 1/4 in protruding and on the back it is about 1/4 inch in. Im not sure if this is being too picky but being i spent 50grand on a car i want it to be right. What should i do, go to ford and have them rehang the doors or just kind of live with it. Juts curious.

Thanks yall

Also has anyone else noticed this?

vista, most shelby's have some type of alignment problem. (not big issues but still not perfect gaps)

Point it out to your dealer and have them adjust the door. Door bolts are plated so you should not have a chipping paint problem with bolts like you would on hood if it need be adjusted. You may want to adjust it for a happy medium as curvature of door/fender could also be different.

Over all for a 50k car the fit finish is sub-standard. Acceptible to some but not all. A lot of the early cars had a hood to right fender fitment problem. Even late cars being built in January/February could have door gaps off from front to back with lower fender to door not fitting properly.

Door bolts are plated so you should not have a chipping paint problem with bolts like you would on hood if it need be adjusted.

TTB, that's an interesting fact. Do you know why they plate some bolts and not others? I'm sure it's more expensive to plate them...so my question really is "why do they plate ANY" bolts or how do they decide which ones to plate?

Dave

TTB, that's an interesting fact. Do you know why they plate some bolts and not others? I'm sure it's more expensive to plate them...so my question really is "why do they plate ANY" bolts or how do they decide which ones to plate?

Dave

All the fastners are coated in one method or another. Some are installed before the body paint is applied and thus get painted over like the fender bolts. Others are applied after body paint like the doors and thus are not painted over body color. Just assembly line order.

Dave

Dave, I think its because the doors go on then come off again. Just a little tid-bit I picked up on. Also looks much better I think and yes more expensive to have them plated. Usually when I do a restoration I also have bolts plated for same reason. Once painted over if you have to make any adjustments you are screwed.

Bolts that need to be holding something together when car is built/painted will have paint. Anything thats done after the fact will have some type of coating/plating on them. Just look around and under car to see what I mean. ttb

Archived