TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TPMS band broken

philip 87

Decisions, decisions........... 2 keep em's and 1 dump em.

My new tires arrived this morning and I'm gonna mount them as soon as I get a day off from work and this TPMS biz is a PITA.

I'm not used to all these NEW gadgets.

Anyway, thanks TS members again for your input............Philip

• 5 months later...

I got new wheels and tires coming and did not put them on. I have heard members that either the band broke or the battery died and they would have to unmount the tire...fix it than back on again. To much of a pain in the a$$ and with new True Forged Rims I don't want some Yahoo screwing my rims up.

I agree at 40 years old have gone all my life with out them and don't need them now.

The only bad thing with not running them is that all 2007 and up cars are required to have them. If you live in a state that scans your car yearly for a safety inspection you won't pass. I just bought new wheels and the cheapest place I found bands was discount tire. They sale the bands for $6 each and if you want to change the brackets they are $5 ea with free shipping total price was $44. Hope that helps. Also if you don't run them you will always have the light and will have to reset it everytime you get in the car.

my shelby was built 12 of 06 do i need them?

The TPMS was introduce on 2007 model year Mustangs and Shelbys. If your Shelby was built 12 of 06, it is a 2007 model year Shelby and you need the bands and sensors. All Shelby GT-H coupes, like Philip 87's, were 2006 model year Shelbys And do not have the system.

Just be glad the Mustang doesn't pull timing like it does on the 350z, my buddy had. The chiming does get somewhat annoying on long trips, but it's only once every 20 minutes. Mine are going back on when I get wider tires. American muscle sells the bands and the tool, which works well. I tried using a pressure canister with the TPMS sensors- it only works for 15 minutes before the light comes on; there's some sort of centrifugal force that the sensor expects. BTW, just a little tip- use 3m tape on the actual sensor plate to the wheel, and be sure the bands are nice and tight when using the aftermarket ones.

• 3 weeks later...

When I changed my wheels over I noticed one of the factory installed ones was broken and hanging, The Sensor cradle itself was still stuck to the inner rim so it didn't come loose but was worried about that metal band possibly cutting the tyre.

I did buy the american muscle replacements and reinstalled. Not that big of a deal, I did it myself when they were taking my old tyres off. I would suggest you bring a powered drill/driver to do it as the bands are super long. I cut mine after cinching them up but you may want to figure out a way to keep the tag end intact if your going to swap to bigger wheels in the future.

cheers. Peter

Also if you don't run them you will always have the light and will have to reset it everytime you get in the car.

How do you reset the *light*?

I put a set of KR wheels/tires on mine that have the early TPMS sensors in them. For the first few times I drove the car nothing ever came on. Then one time when I started the car the Driver Information Center/DIC said "Tire Pressure Monitor" or something like that. I hit the reset button and it cleared but the orange low tire pressure LIGHT stays on no matter what I do and I can't figure out how to get it back off without disconnecting the battery and having to reset EVERYTHING on the car all over again.

Is there a way to get the TPMS *LIGHT* off? Not the Message on the DIC, but the *light*? (2010 GT500)

Right now, I just hit the reset button to clear the message and drive it with the light on....

TIA,

Phill

there is a tool used to mate it back to your computer tire stores can do it ford can do it and you can buy the tool.

Phill wasn't talking about the TPMS reset tool. As he put it

I put a set of KR wheels/tires on mine that have the early TPMS sensors in them

Thus, he mounted a set of wheels/tires that came with the "early" banded type sensors. His SJB is looking for a different frequency (as his car is a 2010) as his car came equipped with sensors that are integrated with the valve stem. In other words, the older sensors won't communicate with the newer SJB. The TPMS reprogramming tool has no effect on this issue.

Phill wasn't talking about the TPMS reset tool. As he put it

Thus, he mounted a set of wheels/tires that came with the "early" banded type sensors. His SJB is looking for a different frequency (as his car is a 2010) as his car came equipped with sensors that are integrated with the valve stem. In other words, the older sensors won't communicate with the newer SJB. The TPMS reprogramming tool has no effect on this issue.

Correct.

I can put the newer style sensors in the early wheels and be done with the TPMS message and light but I think I'm smart enough to know what a tire going flat feels like (been there done that) and I don't think I need a computer to tell me I have a flat.

So rather than put a set of new '10+ sensors in my '08-'09 tires/wheels I just hit the reset button to get rid of the DIC message but the orange light stays lit. As long as it's not affecting the performance of the car I'm not too concerned with it but it would be nice to just turn it off, if or until I decide to put sensors installed in my wheels.

I 'spose I could just pull the light bulb!

Phill

Interesting thread. I just purchased a set of 2010 rims to use for track tires. I was going to mount the sensors, bands, and clups but when I found that the cost was going to be over $400 for the set, no way Jose. I'll run them at the track with the light on.

The Nanny State continues to take it to the next level under the guise of "it's for your own good" so you are going to have to do as you're told. And once they pass a law for your protection it rarely gets reversed.

You can thank the Firestone/Exploder debacle along with the Clinton administration for the TREAD Act. Their intent was save lives, not necessarily to cut costs or to make things easier for automotive enthusiasts. It's a great law for the latest generation of nitwits that know how to text on their cell phone, but couldn't check their tire pressure (or know how to bolt on a spare tire) if their life depended on it. Ergo, Big Brother stepped in.

The tire industry fully supports it, naturally. Here's an interesting read that sheds some light as to why they do. The TREAD act is a huge generator of cash flow for them.

Phill, I believe the SJB issue could be addressed by your local Ford dealer but they would never, ever, do it now. The potential liability incurred with such an egregious TREAD Act violation insures they'll never do it for anyone. I see it as tantamount to what goes on in the construction industry. Nobody can ever argue against anything safety or environmentally related as everything has become CYA at all costs. These are wonderful times to be a personal injury attorney.

You're not alone, Phill. My 2011 SVT PP rims/tires invoke the same issues on my '09. Eventually, I'll address it, just as I did with the pesky "default to on" TCS. Thankfully, FRPP sells a module that took care of that crap [LEGAL DISCLAIMER - of course, the part is for racing only and never to be used on a public highway] :ph34r:

Phill, I believe the SJB issue could be addressed by your local Ford dealer but they would never, ever, do it now. The potential liability incurred with such an egregious TREAD Act violation insures they'll never do it for anyone. I see it as tantamount to what goes on in the construction industry. Nobody can ever argue against anything safety or environmentally related as everything has become CYA at all costs. These are wonderful times to be a personal injury attorney.

You're not alone, Phill. My 2011 SVT PP rims/tires invoke the same issues on my '09. Eventually, I'll address it, just as I did with the pesky "default to on" TCS. Thankfully, FRPP sells a module that took care of that crap [LEGAL DISCLAIMER - of course, the part is for racing only and never to be used on a public highway] :ph34r:

Actually......

It's not all that expensive for me to remedy. I was looking for the Fed-Ex shipping center across town and stopped into a tire store to get directions. They had a display up for TPMS sensors, the type that are part of the valve stem.

I told him what I had ('08/9 wheels & TPMS) and what I needed ('10 TPMS style for the wheels). At first he didn't understand what I was trying to tell him but once I got my point across it came down to about 40 bucks plus installation (mounting and balancing charge on 4 tires, and even then only needing to break the bead on one side)...

For 80 bucks MAX ($10 per wheel IF they have to actually dismount the tire) I can get my KR wheels updated with '10+ TPMS sensors AND programmed to my car. And I mentioned that maybe we could work out a discount if I gave him the (darn near brand new) TPMS sensors that come out of the wheels and he said that was a good possibility.

MY biggest problem is, I REALLY don't want someone messing with the KR wheels and KR tires as they are now. They are PERFECT with no vibration at least up to just over 100mph. I'd just really rather not have someone "fix it if it ain't broke".

I can live with a light! Or like I said, pull the gauge cluster and pull the lamp. The DIC message is no big deal. It comes on every time I start the car but I just have to reach down and hit the reset button and it's gone until next time I start it.

6 of 1, half a dozen of another.....(i.e. ain't nuttin' but a thang)

Phill

Now i get it there are people using the sensors stored in their glove box they have been clamped with hose clamps to the desired pressure and then mated to the car thats a way of doing it if you dont want to deal with dismount...

Doesn't work.

People (including myself) tried inserting the TPMS sensors within a pressurized vessel, adjusted to match OE levels of air pressure. Problem is that the sensors are also inertia activated.

Again, I tried it and thought it would work. It failed.

Archived