TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'68 GT500KR convertible antenna

buzbrown

I own a '68 GT500KR convertible that has been restored. In a recent transport, the radio antenna mast was broken. I am trying to determine the correct antenna. The antenna on the car which, I suppose was origional, has about a 4 or 5" base in the trunk & the antenna cable comes out the bottom & runs the full way from the trunk to the radio. See picture attached. I have been told this is both correct and not correct. I have been told it came with an antenna that has about a 12" tube inside the trunk & the cable is attached to the side of the tube & is called a "pm300". See picture attached. I am very confused. I don't know which is correct. Neither one has the complete cable to the radio. They both have an extension cable. Can anyone out there help me with this? I don't want to buy the wrong antenna as both are quite expensive.

Thanks for your help!

post-30564-020127800 1288653227_thumb.jpg

post-30564-033536500 1288653425_thumb.jpg

post-30564-020127800 1288653227_thumb.jpg

post-30564-033536500 1288653425_thumb.jpg

I own a '68 GT500KR convertible that has been restored. In a recent transport, the radio antenna mast was broken. I am trying to determine the correct antenna. The antenna on the car which, I suppose was origional, has about a 4 or 5" base in the trunk & the antenna cable comes out the bottom & runs the full way from the trunk to the radio. See picture attached. I have been told this is both correct and not correct. I have been told it came with an antenna that has about a 12" tube inside the trunk & the cable is attached to the side of the tube & is called a "pm300". See picture attached. I am very confused. I don't know which is correct. Neither one has the complete cable to the radio. They both have an extension cable. Can anyone out there help me with this? I don't want to buy the wrong antenna as both are quite expensive.

Thanks for your help!

I believe that the antennas were actually installed by the dealers, so it is probably possible that there is some variety. I'll try and snap and snap a photo of mine, I have both my original, and a replacement on the car. Mine does have a relatively short cable, and plugs into an extension in the trunk, up by the wheel well. I know you should also look for a cable with a large grommet attached - although the grommet is not used in the KR application.

Pete Disher has a picture of the "radio kit" on his website: http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Electrical.HTML - I'm sure if you contact him, he will give you a much better answer than I could.

Regards,

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

What a nice problem to have!!! I :salute: you. - Doc

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your help!

Archived