TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350 624 on a dyno yesterday

So I took my car over to Maximum Velocity Performance, and they have a Mustang Dyne Dyno, which for those of you who dont know gives a lower reading for HP and Torque. So while you typically figure a 15% loss from the crank to the wheels for a dynojet, you have to factor in another 12% loss for a Mustang Dyno. (Roughly)

So, all that said, I would have expected 550 at rear wheels on a Dynojet, and 490-495 for the Mustang Dyno.

What did I get? 1st run, 495 HP, 385 Torque,

2nd run, 501HP, 390 Torque,

Also did a simulated 1/4 mile run, and pulled a 11.9, but we could easily have done 11.4-ish if I was shifting. The person doing the run didnt want to miss a gear by accident, so there was no powershifting at all. I got it on video.

When you see and here it....you'll see there is some time to make up.

Curious, never heard of a simulated 1/4 mile... safe to assume that wheel spin is basically impossible with this? so it's a best case scenario if you are shifting good? Is the mustang dyno conservative on that as well? Pretty cool to be able to do it regardless, just never even heard of it!

Who cares about Flywheel HP? My old GT 500 with a CAI and pulley swap put down 586 at the wheels. And 590 Torque! This was right off the street with NO Cooling what so ever, with time to cool should have made right at 600 at the wheels, No not all 500's I have seen make this kind of power, This one was much Stronger than my First GT 500.

Well, Im already looking at few mods,

Probably go to the Steeda CAI, Steeda driveshaft safety loop and a one piece aluminum driveshaft.

And a short throw shifter is DEFINITELY on the wishlist.

Correct me if I am Wrong, Wasn't a Short throw Shifter already part of the 350 Package?? I know it was in my SGT, and the KR

Aaron, this being a 2011 5.0, FRPP doesnt have a short throw out for it yet, and I think there is only one manufacturer that does. I'll hold out for the FRPP or SA one.

As far as your numbers on your GT500. Good for you. I have seen about 100 GT500s go across a dyno and all pulled around 420-460 at the rear wheels. So, for you to do a CAI and a pulley and hit those numbers, maybe you accidently got a 5.7 in it instead?:hysterical: Not making fun of you, but the big fish story gets a lot of mileage on forums...

Anyways, I dont really concern myself with the dyno numbers, as my GT500 was pulling around your numbers and is still a dog compared to the 350. I drove them last night back to back....its not even close.

Aaron, this being a 2011 5.0, FRPP doesnt have a short throw out for it yet, and I think there is only one manufacturer that does. I'll hold out for the FRPP or SA one.

As far as your numbers on your GT500. Good for you. I have seen about 100 GT500s go across a dyno and all pulled around 420-460 at the rear wheels. So, for you to do a CAI and a pulley and hit those numbers, maybe you accidently got a 5.7 in it instead?:hysterical: Not making fun of you, but the big fish story gets a lot of mileage on forums...

Anyways, I dont really concern myself with the dyno numbers, as my GT500 was pulling around your numbers and is still a dog compared to the 350. I drove them last night back to back....its not even close.

Is the six Speed not the same one used in the KR? It has a Short throw shifter. And if I can find my Dyno sheet, I would be happy to post it up, Mods where Bulley, JLT CAI, Magnaflow Axleback and a SCT tuner. I was very impressed the difference those mods made, it was a total Turd compared to my 04 Cobra with a pulley, and a tune.

From what I can see in you Signature block, Both your 500's are Verts, which weight quite a bit more than a Hardtop 500, They are also Anniversary cars, Did you get the Blower Upgrade? If not then that is where the Difference lyes, Add a Pulley and a tune to one of your 500's and then drive them both, you will see the 500, pulls just as hard as the 350, No I have not Driven one yet, but I am impressed with what I see out of a NA 5.0. So with the Ford Racing Whipple on top of it I am sure the 350 feels quite impressive. I am sure we will see a good street Fight Video of a 500 Racing a 350 not far from now.

I am not bashing the 350, I am just not a fan is all, I hope they start Rolling them out fast, I would like to see how one Fairs against my KR with a few mods done to it.

From what I can see in you Signature block, Both your 500's are Verts, which weight quite a bit more than a Hardtop 500, They are also Anniversary cars, Did you get the Blower Upgrade? If not then that is where the Difference lyes, Add a Pulley and a tune to one of your 500's and then drive them both, you will see the 500, pulls just as hard as the 350,

Yeah, I have two identical builds, #14 and #17 of the RS's, but I dont think weight makes a difference on a dyno.

#14, my driver, I went with a 2.65 pulley, tune, CobraJet Throttle Body, FRPP CAI, changed the plugs, Eibach suspension Borla pipes to a KR exhaust. It pulled about 520HP and about the same Torque on the same dyno as the 350, so higher numbers, yes, but not as quick as the GT350 on the street by a longshot. Im betting you dynoed on a dynojet, so my vert on a dynojet should have posted about 565 or 570, which translates to about 630 HP at the crank. So maybe your numbers are valid for dynojet, but not for a mustang dyno. I wasnt considering that.

Keep in mind it isnt at all about the HP. A Supersnake 725 does 0-60 in about 4 seconds. The GT350? 0-60 in 3.7 with 525 HP. I got an extra 100 HP, so dont know about the 624 yet, but gotta figure as fast or a little better.

The super snake is tire limited put some bigger tires on it and it will eat the 350 or someone who can drive. The 350 is a great Mustang but because of the GT500's forged internals, the GT500 will make more power safely. I am glad you like your GT350 and I would love one just do not like the ideal of a non-forged engine with force induction for that price. Like i said happy for you and a great car it is, it’s just limited on what can be done to the motor without a tear down. I think the Boss with the Blower will be nice since it has the forged internals. I will probably get a GT350 when all is said and done just wish it had the internals in the motor upgraded like the Boss 302. Boss 302, GT350 or 2012 Gt500 just haven’t decided yet.

yeah, I agree pretty much with what you say, but the cost to tear the engine down and go with the forged internals wont be that much money, so I dont see the big deal there. What IS NICE is the cost to replace the engine is way less than half of the 5.4. 15k vs. 6k.....no brainer there, and the 5.4 isnt bullet proof either...seen a couple of those eat it.

BTW- looked at my dyno sheet, and I got the Torque wrong...its 400, not 390. Not that big of a deal though.

I do know of a 2011 Mustang GT that has my supercharger and 624 tune that is an automatic, pulled a 10.66, and backed it up with a 10.68...pretty dang fast!

Archived