TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SS advice wanted

Whammer

Hello all Super Snake owners, I'm looking for a little advice.

I won't bore you with my long story, basically I was thinking of trading in my '08 GT500 on an '09 KR or an '11 GT500 or possibly the '12 Boss 302.

The biggest problem is that most dealers won't give me anything for my '08 with 6k miles on it.

The dealer with the KR was going to give me 25k for my car.

The '011 GT500 dealer went up to 35k for my car (they also are the dealer for the Boss as well).

No matter how I slice it I'm still looking at over 30-35k in any deal with my car. There is nothing wrong with my car and I love it and I don't feel like being ripped off by dealing it. So why not spend that 30k turning my car into a Super Snake?

The car looks awesome and will probably be the only Super Snake on the streets in my city.

So now I'm wanting feedback from SS owners.

How do you like the car?

How does it ride and handle?

What about insurance? How do you insure that if you're in an accident all those expensive parts are covered?

How is all that power? Is it difficult to control? The big knock against the Shelby's have been traction. Is the SS too powerful for the road?

Are there any negatives to the car that you've found?

Thanks for any advice.

I won't bore you with my long story, basically I was thinking of trading in my '08 GT500 on an '09 KR or an '11 GT500 or possibly the '12 Boss 302.

The biggest problem is that most dealers won't give me anything for my '08 with 6k miles on it.

The '011 GT500 dealer went up to 35k for my car (they also are the dealer for the Boss as well).

No matter how I slice it I'm still looking at over 30-35k in any deal with my car. There is nothing wrong with my car and I love it and I don't feel like being ripped off by dealing it. So why not spend that 30k turning my car into a Super Snake?

The car looks awesome and will probably be the only Super Snake on the streets in my city.

How do you like the car?

What about insurance? How do you insure that if you're in an accident all those expensive parts are covered?

How is all that power? Is it difficult to control? The big knock against the Shelby's have been traction. Is the SS too powerful for the road?

Thanks for any advice.

Go for the SS package

You wont regret it

The difference is unbelievable

How do you like the car?

Thanks for any advice.

I love my SS. The FRPP suspension does ride pretty stiff. State Farm insurance says they cover everything in the SS package at no additional cost. I pay about $350 every six months and only $7 a month for storage insurance. The power is great. It is only there when you want it. Yes traction is a huge issue. So if you want to hook up, do a few suspension mods and widen your rear rims for wider tires and its all good. You covered all the negatives here, and they all have good fixes.

How do you like the car?

Thanks for any advice.

I own an 08 also. I never drove my car in "stock" form, it went directly from it's selling dealer to SAI for the 725 conversion, so I have no comparision in ride or power output. Of the car options you have listed above, the 2011 with the alum. block sounds most interesting to me, but then I would send it out for a Super Snake conversion, so either way, your car or a new body, I would get it SS'ed with the big h.p. option.

Power?, yep, plenty of it. I love being concerned about how I will harness the power instead of trying to make the car more powerful. It is a nice change to have all of the power you need. The 725 Super Snake, with a simple tire change on the rear is a high-10's car with M/T Street E.T.'s (not even slicks) as documented in multiple magazine features. The other cars you have on that list are "not there" in the h.p. dept., and to get a car of this weight into the 10's without slicks and a low 3800 rpm launch, it takes brute power. It is nice to have brute power, especially when it is not spinning and you like to feel the "pinned back in the seat" experience. The SS is also fully 50 state emissions friendly (for those who have state inspections). <<This fact "could" also be a factor at sale time vs. buying a lesser powered car and "owner modding it" to the point where it has plenty of power but can not pass emissions inspection.

I chose the $100 upgrade to the fully adjustable Eibach suspension. Firm - yes, rough or hard - no. With a car like this I would expect a firm ride. I have ridden in many "so called" cars with performance suspensions and marshmellow came to mind with some of them, I didn't want "marshmellow" at any point in the ride. I like a firm and precise feel, especially when you are talking about 3800-3900lbs.

There are guys who have tracked their Super Snakes, and even with the 20" wheels, they do very well against current technology competition.

Sheby has put together a nice package in the Super Snake, could it use more rear tire, yes, but if that is the concern, that is really not a concern, there are multiple options, and it will cost maybe $1500 on the lower end, $400-$500 each for the two wider tires and $275 each to have your original wheels widened, all of this plus shipping costs, maybe a little more than $1500, but that is a realistic starting cost. If you decide to buy a second pair of wheels for widening, etc., the cost goes up.

Insurance - Even though this is a late model car, collector car insurance will insure it because of what it is, and who built it, Shelby. Since I do not drive my SS often, I have my car limited to 2K miles per year. The cost of coverage on mine is not much beyond what a vintage muscle car would cost per year.

If you are interested in stopping power, the big brakes on the 3900lb. Super Snake, w/6P's on the rear, are the ticket in comparision any of the cars you have listed above and remember on-track performance depends upon handling of the vehicle, AND braking is also a very important factor. The big rotors w/6P's front and rear are it!

I believe the owner in the link below added a Griggs rear suspension under this Super Snake, but check out those 20's digging in and read the list of cars in the competition and then think, 3900lbs. It took a 725, anything less would have had to fall in line with the other cars on the list of competitors.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41813-super-snake-passes-them-all-at-buttomwillow/page__p__683247__hl__buttomwillow__fromsearch__1#entry683247

All of this on a fully 50 state emissions friendly, fully street legal car^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^NICE!!, and then the ever so valuable CSM number.............

R

1) I love my SS. Fun, fun, fun to drive.

2) FRPP suspension is great for the money, but I wanted something more for the track. Replaced with Griggs.

3) State Farm policy covers full SS package for under 1k a year.

4) Power does require your attention but is controllable after plenty of seat time.

5) Before the conversion I didn't like parking the GT500 in public but I did if needed. Now, no way in hell. That being said, she's not a good DD.

We have a local car gathering here in SoCal that gets tons of exotics like Ferrari, Porche, Labo, Muscle cars and Hot Rods. Great cars for everyone to see but if you want a crowd to gather, pop the hood the SS and stand back. This car gets all the attention.

If you decide to go SS, get all the power offered and add the full cooling upgrade. You will not regret it.

I saw two post in here about State Farm covering the SS. I'd be careful with that and make sure it's in writing. I say that because when I got my car coverted to an SS I spoke with my agent and a buddy from work who's wife is an agent and they both said State Farm does not cover mod's to cars except for when the driver needs it to operate the vechile example: a van with a lift gate if the person use's a wheel chair. They did say keep all your documents and if something happens they MAY cover. I decided MAY wasn't good enough for me since I got close to 40K in the car for the package so I went with collectors insurance thru Barret Jackson for $400 a year and the restrictions aren't bad.

As far as Super Snaking your car I love the car and think it's a bad a$$ car my only issue is finding someone I trust to work on it when it needs something and letting Tasca do the work ( To many problems with them)

I called Sean Hyland this morning, they are the authorized Shelby center near me, and I can get my car in the end of Nov. and 6 weeks later a SS will be dropped off at my door!

I'm going down there this afternoon to work out the details and pricing.

I called Sean Hyland this morning, they are the authorized Shelby center near me, and I can get my car in the end of Nov. and 6 weeks later a SS will be dropped off at my door!

I'm going down there this afternoon to work out the details and pricing.

Best of luck happy%20feet.gif

Congrats on your choice to SS your Shelby..Trust me you will not regret it...If you have any further info contact our resource person from the registrar list and he will be glad to help you.....

Do not forget to take alot of pics....

Alexandros

SAI Registrar GT 500

I saw two post in here about State Farm covering the SS. I'd be careful with that and make sure it's in writing. I say that because when I got my car coverted to an SS I spoke with my agent and a buddy from work who's wife is an agent and they both said State Farm does not cover mod's to cars except for when the driver needs it to operate the vechile example: a van with a lift gate if the person use's a wheel chair. They did say keep all your documents and if something happens they MAY cover. I decided MAY wasn't good enough for me since I got close to 40K in the car for the package so I went with collectors insurance thru Barret Jackson for $400 a year and the restrictions aren't bad.

As far as Super Snaking your car I love the car and think it's a bad a$ car my only issue is finding someone I trust to work on it when it needs something and letting Tasca do the work ( To many problems with them)

But how can you do the burn outs for the kids without the mods :cry:

How do you like the car?

Thanks for any advice.

I have an 08 also. Mine was a 735 model that i recently put the KB 3.6 L.C. on. I LOVE my car! It is great on the street and on the road course. Traction is an issue. I widened my rears to 11.75 and are running 305's, that transformed the car on the street. on the track i run the stock 18's for now with 275 f/295 r R compound tires and once they get up to temperature, I dont have any real traction issues(but you have to drive smart). It is a huge attention getter. You have to get the cooling system. It is probably the single most important mod to the car.

You will not regret having this car. With some minor additional suspension work, there are very few cars that will be able to keep up with you on a road course. With the 725 or 800 hp option, very few cars will be able to kep up with you on the occasional highway roll on. At 140 mph, the g forces are like the stock GT-500 in 2nd gear!! Go for it, you will love it. You also wont see many of them on the street. They are very rare cars.

BJ

I have an 08 also. Mine was a 735 model that i recently put the KB 3.6 L.C. on. I LOVE my car! It is great on the street and on the road course. Traction is an issue. I widened my rears to 11.75 and are running 305's, that transformed the car on the street. on the track i run the stock 18's for now with 275 f/295 r R compound tires and once they get up to temperature, I dont have any real traction issues(but you have to drive smart). It is a huge attention getter. You have to get the cooling system. It is probably the single most important mod to the car.

You will not regret having this car. With some minor additional suspension work, there are very few cars that will be able to keep up with you on a road course. With the 725 or 800 hp option, very few cars will be able to kep up with you on the occasional highway roll on. At 140 mph, the g forces are like the stock GT-500 in 2nd gear!! Go for it, you will love it. You also wont see many of them on the street. They are very rare cars.

BJ

:yup:

I love my SS. I do not regret doing the conversion. I originally wanted a KR, but since they didn't send any to Canada in 2008 I ordered a GT500 and had it Super Snaked. I have never looked back. The car turns heads and is a blast to drive. I feel the car is a bit easier to drive around town now than when it was stock with the 3.73 gears. I have the adjustable Shelby / Eibach suspension and I like the stance and ride. It is firm so I am sure my wife isn't crazy about the ride, but it handles great. I have the KB and I had mine dyno'd at just under 600HP at the rear. It is a lot of power and it will bite you if you do not respect it, but it didn't take long to learn how to handle the car. I have no problem driving it around town. I have tracked the car and I'm still working on controlling my launches off the line. If you are worried about having too much power you can always go for the lower HP upgrade as well as widening the wheels as others have stated. I have not widened my wheels.

For insurance, I went with Collector Car insurance that has an agreed value policy. With the Canadian dollar at almost par I am currently a bit over insured since my appraisal was done at a conversion rate of about $0.85, but I would rather have that than the opposite. I do not have a bunch of tickets so my rates are fairly reasonable. My policy limits me to 5000km per year, but my car is parked for the winter so that is not a problem. the only negative has been all of the cool new options that have come out. Needless to say I was busy this summer adding a few things. I will have to update my sig as it is now out of date.

Cheers

Brett

• 1 month later...

How do you like the car?

I can't say enough about my Snake. But you seem to be going in different directions Snake, K,r Boss. I have tracked my Snake at many events From Daytona to Texas and back. Never a problem. The ride conpared to the stock Gt 500 is very rough and takes a little to get use to it. And yes the tires don't work till the top of 3rd gear. But its a Super Snake plain and simple. But the new BOSS well thats a horse of a different color. I have tracked the new GT 5.0 and its just a runner. If the new Boss is better then a GT it will be the car to track. Insurance is cheap if you don't use it for a daily driver, I use Grundy. The Snake is a show stopper for sure. So will the Boss LS package lighter and made for the track. I have a Silver LS on order. The KR does nothing for me., so no comment. I don't know what you plan to do with the car, but the Snake I think is a better all around then the KR or Boss. Hope this helps and I'm not to late posting this. You can catch my Youtube vides at

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jasit390?feature=mhum

You really can't go wrong with any one of these cars!!!!

Good Luck

An insurance company giving the same rate with $30k in mods? yeah, good luck with that when you really need them, all those fancy buildings being built and banks getting into the industry is happening for a reason.......$$$$$$$$$$. they do not like to cut cheques.

good call on the SS.

agree with SVT power. do yourself a favor and get collector car insurance... is cheap and will cover whatever Shelby does to it. there are a number of options but i use Delph. there are a few threads here describing the differences between the insurance options... with the pros and cons.

An insurance company giving the same rate with $30k in mods? yeah, good luck with that when you really need them, all those fancy buildings being built and banks getting into the industry is happening for a reason.......$$$$$$$$$$. they do not like to cut cheques.

I think some people are not disclosing everything to their insurance company. When I told mine I was turning it into a SS they said they could no longer insure me. Every company I contacted here in Canada said they would not touch my car. I had to get specialty car insurance (Haggerty) as it's based upon the appraised value of your car...which means it's going to be a fair bit more then what I was paying now.

Now some guys might have the money to not worry if their insurance company ( if they didn't disclose their mods) denies their claim the real problem is if you're being sued by someone. Your insurance company will walk and you could lose everything in a lawsuit.

It's a dangerous game some people are playing.

I think some people are not disclosing everything to their insurance company. When I told mine I was turning it into a SS they said they could no longer insure me. Every company I contacted here in Canada said they would not touch my car. I had to get specialty car insurance (Haggerty) as it's based upon the appraised value of your car...which means it's going to be a fair bit more then what I was paying now.

Now some guys might have the money to not worry if their insurance company ( if they didn't disclose their mods) denies their claim the real problem is if you're being sued by someone. Your insurance company will walk and you could lose everything in a lawsuit.

Mine is insured with Economical and it's based on my appraisal. I do pay for it but I expect to get enough money to replace the car if something happens. I'm sure you'll be happy with Haggerty. We all hate paying too much but insurance isn't the place to cut corners.

Don

Mine is insured with Economical and it's based on my appraisal. I do pay for it but I expect to get enough money to replace the car if something happens. I'm sure you'll be happy with Haggerty. We all hate paying too much but insurance isn't the place to cut corners.

Don

Don,

I called your broker and he could only place me with Haggerty. Perhaps I could've been insured with Economical if I had my other cars and home with them, but I get a great rate with TD so there was no advantage in doing it.

I have all of my regular insurance with Intact which is ING Canada. When I told them about my plans to SS my GT500 they politely informed me that they would no longer insure my Shelby when I delivered it to SAI for the conversion. I have a great broker, so she helped me track down insurance through Legends which is under written by AXA Pacific. I have fully disclosed what I have done to my car including the required appraisal.

Cheers

Brett

Archived