TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Taking Care of that Rusty Butt

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12:50 est - heading to lunch - leaving the cam on - when I come back I have just a little more masking, then the first coat of finish paint....

Looks great. Maybe a project for me after the bash. .

GREAT thread, Ilmor... I'd like to do it, too... after the Bash, as well.

Bad enough I just got my bumper cover painted and will now get a ton of rock chips by the end of Day 1...LOL...

Jer

Thanks everyone. This is one of those jobs that's hard work, but very rewarding afterwards!

My next project will be to detail the calipers a little bit.....

Ilmor, where and what program are you running to do the Iracing, This sounds like something that I could really get into. Thanks

Firekiller, just go to www.iracing.com for all the info.

As a matter of fact, I just finished a 150 lap truck race at ChicagoLand Speedway w/ a 3rd place finish!

I know it may seem more of a task, but a bolt here and there and we just drop the entire rear end. It's certainly easier than doing it on the car IMO. The best way we like to do it is removeing the rear end, putting the rear end in a jig, nickel welding the axle tubes, then powdercoating the entire rear end. It's pretty much a permanent fix on the rust issue and as you would imagine it looks amazing when you pick a nice color or matching metalic color. My suggestion, use Krylon when choosing paint, they have the best paint on the market.

I know it may seem more of a task, but a bolt here and there and we just drop the entire rear end. It's certainly easier than doing it on the car IMO. The best way we like to do it is removeing the rear end, putting the rear end in a jig, nickel welding the axle tubes, then powdercoating the entire rear end. It's pretty much a permanent fix on the rust issue and as you would imagine it looks amazing when you pick a nice color or matching metalic color. My suggestion, use Krylon when choosing paint, they have the best paint on the market.

That sounds great, but I'm one of those guys who has to resort to poor-man-do-it-yourself methods! :D

• 5 months later...

Alright I'm going to give this thing a try tomorow!!!

Thank the gods I had Ilmor to be a trail blazer for me. He did an awesome job...I just have a few questions...if anyone wouldn't mind chiming in!

1.)I didn't see it in the pictures, but didsnyone paint the drive shaft too or just the rear axel? I don't think there would be any problem with painting it other then it would be a huge huge pain to get the thing rotated.

2.) How long did it take the anti-rusting treatment to dry? My entire weekend is free & I want to see if I can kick it out working for like 3 days staight. (I'll by some coccaine and meth to keep me going ;))

3.) I think I'll be a Clear Coat to finish it up just for some extra protection...does anyone see an issue with that?

Thanks guys...wish me luck! I'll make sure to document!

Alright I'm going to give this thing a try tomorow!!!

Thank the gods I had Ilmor to be a trail blazer for me. He did an awesome job...I just have a few questions...if anyone wouldn't mind chiming in!

1.)I didn't see it in the pictures, but didsnyone paint the drive shaft too or just the rear axel? I don't think there would be any problem with painting it other then it would be a huge huge pain to get the thing rotated.

2.) How long did it take the anti-rusting treatment to dry? My entire weekend is free & I want to see if I can kick it out working for like 3 days staight. (I'll by some coccaine and meth to keep me going ;))

3.) I think I'll be a Clear Coat to finish it up just for some extra protection...does anyone see an issue with that?

Thanks guys...wish me luck! I'll make sure to document!

I did my driveline:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25332-painted-my-drivelineno-more-rust/page__view__findpost__p__374605__hl__driveline__fromsearch__1

Thanks for the assistance! I'll need it tomorrow! How hard is it to remove the drive-shaft? It seems that'll be the best way to get that part done. Thanks!

Thanks for the assistance! I'll need it tomorrow! How hard is it to remove the drive-shaft? It seems that'll be the best way to get that part done. Thanks!

I'm not sure how hard it is to remove the DS. My dealer had it out during service work and I painted it while it was out.

Archived