TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Taking Care of that Rusty Butt

While certain NE region Team Shelby folks were off romping in the autumn leaves and climbing mountains yesterday, I started working on my rusty butt :happy feet:

This is not an easy job by any means, but for some reason I'm enjoying it. :headscratch:

Anyway, I have taken a few progress photos which I'll post here shortly...

183c4b1a.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting prepared...

027.jpg

What a beautiful sight! (not)...

028.jpg

Started wire brushing the loose stuff...

031.jpg

Took a little break to iRace my Mustang GT500RS at Road Atlanta...

033.jpg

Completed the wire brushing on this portion...

037.jpg

Check out all the rusty stuff that came off!

036.jpg

Now I'm just about completed with the masking on this side...

bd55069c.jpg

Time for a nice hot cup of coffee...

035.jpg

Man, I need to find some time to do this, what will you be using as far as primer and paint?

I'm going to use these products as recommended by Grabber on his Going After My Rear End Rust thread...

b82483b8.jpg

I'm going to use these products as recommended by Grabber on his Going After My Rear End Rust thread...

b82483b8.jpg

I think you can cut back on the coffee there ilmor...... ya look a little shakey... :hysterical:

This is on my winter todo list.... I really hate messing with rust!

I was thinking the same... the car comes off the road for 3 months so I have no hurry.

Grabber - yes! She will be wrapped prior to the spraying...

69900650.jpg

Applying the first cost of rust inhibitor today...a tedious process...

244292e3.jpg

Takin' a break to watch the Martinsville NASCAR race...

You sure are taking a lot of breaks. You planning on taking all winter for this lol. Wish i could find someone in Houston area who could do this for me.Lookin good,keep us all posted. This is one mod that all Shelbys need.

You sure are taking a lot of breaks. You planning on taking all winter for this lol. Wish i could find someone in Houston area who could do this for me.Lookin good,keep us all posted. This is one mod that all Shelbys need.

:lol: yeah, it might take all winter at this rate! Besides those breaks I've got a bunch of other fall chores plus all the usual errands and chores to get done.

I hope to get the second coat of rust inhibitor on this section tonight, then I'll be away on business travel for a couple of days, after which I'll put on the first spray...realistically the spraying will probably not be completed until Saturday, at which point I'll start working on the other side.

I sure am glad to be getting this done.

This is on my winter todo list.... I really hate messing with rust!

This has been on my winter to-do list ther last 2 years....thats why I had Alex do it as part of my build over the summer.......

this way I got to do cruising for Autumn leaves and have a clean butt......sorry Bob! :tease:

Trust me, I wish I could've paid someone to do this for me!! But, I'm getting there, slowly but surely...tonight I put the 2nd coat of rust inhibitor on this end of the axle...

One thing I'm learning is that this blue painters tape doesn't work as well for masking at good ol masking tape...comes unglued to easily! On the other hand, I don't have to worry about it sticking too much, so I'll deal with it.

And yes, Grabber, I will "seal" the edges of the plastic I have draped over the car before I spray. I'm very familiar with how paint spray can get around where you don't want it! I'll also be opening all the garage doors and getting the other cars away from it.

This weekend I'll start some spraying.

Just a question. Are you doing one side then painting or treat all rust areas and then paint all at once? Seems like you are doing it in stages.

Thanks foryour reply and great project.

Yes, I am currently treating and painting from the brake end to just past the differential. Once done w/ that I'll raise and paint the other end. I didn't have all the stuff I needed to get the entire rear of the car up safely at one time.

Yes, I am currently treating and painting from the brake end to just past the differential. Once done w/ that I'll raise and paint the other end. I didn't have all the stuff I needed to get the entire rear of the car up safely at one time.

Does anyone know what effect this will have on collectability in the future? I know it improves appearance and increases protection (decreases rust, etc), but what effect, if any on collectability?

Thank you

Does anyone know what effect this will have on collectability in the future? I know it improves appearance and increases protection (decreases rust, etc), but what effect, if any on collectability?

Thank you

I don't know many people who prefer rust when buying a collectable car 40 years from now.

Based on your reasons stated above it sure can't hurt.

Thanks all. I'm anxious to get back home and work on this some more! While I'm at it I'm also going to clean up the other areas under the car that I can reach while doing this, as best I can, which of course will just add more time...

Thanks all. I'm anxious to get back home and work on this some more! While I'm at it I'm also going to clean up the other areas under the car that I can reach while doing this, as best I can, which of course will just add more time...

You're making good progress Ilmor! I'm anxious to check out the finished project when your done! Maybe I'll drop my car off for a "rusty butt" treatment since you're quickly becoming an expert! :hysterical:

One of these days I'll buckle down and get motivated to do it myself!

-yellow pony

Archived