TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR or GT350

REAL ONE

In light of the epic performance of the new GT350 how many of you would swap your KR for the GT350.

If not why not?

If so, why?

Thought this might be an interesting topic.

I for one am tempted. Both are awsome cars and have great legendary cars and history behind them. But the limited run of KRs and their provenence as one of few pre title Shelbys has me coming back to the KR along with that beautiful hood.

What say you?

The best solution would to have both in the garage. The odds are the GT350 will not surpass KR production numbers so from just a collectibility standpoint the GT350 has an edge. The GT350 can also be tailored to your tastes, something the KR couldn't.

On the other hand a KR is a KR!!!! A name that will always garner respect.

Steve

Well, here's my .02

While the GT-350 may have more HP than the KR, this is how I look at it.

I'll stick with the KR, and here is why.

Pre-titled. The 2009 GT-500KR may be the last "pre-titled" Shelby EVER.

The S197 body style is classic. The 2010+ cars can't touch it (my opinion)

The KR just kicks butt in looks alone. Hard to go anywhere and not be noticed.

KR is just that......."King of the Road"

The KR is plenty fast.....and can be made quicker with little effort.

.....hey, I already have one in my garage !!

All aside, I really do like the GT-350. I can't wait to see one in person. If I could afford it, I would add it to my stable and call it a day. Could you imagine.....a GT-350 AND a GT-500KR in the same garage ?

I've been looking for another KR to go with my black one as my boys are both debating on which one it gets left to when I expire! I may just hold out for a 350 to have something different, but I'll have to see it in person.

Well guys, I has my 09 KR (#301) parked next to Warrens GT350R for a TV interview and having looked the 350 over and under, I still like the KR better. There are somethings on the 350 that just doesn't meet the level of the KR. It is great car, just to many off the shelf parts that people could add to their own GT's to copy the 350 look. The main part of the 350 is it's engine and suspensions. The KR isa completed balance package and is in a class by itself and will always be the car to wish for. Just my two cents worth.

I've been looking for another KR to go with my black one as my boys are both debating on which one it gets left to when I expire! I may just hold out for a 350 to have something different, but I'll have to see it in person.

Already told my son that I'm being buried in my KR...

This is all really good input and I'm on the side of keeping the KR. Here's how I look at it.....if someone is planning to keep one of the two cars for a while (say 10 years or more) which one would they rather have in 10 years? Not to sell in 10 years, but to own and drive. In 10 years, I think if I were offered an 08 or 09 KR or an 11 GT350, both well maintained and in similar condition, I think I would choose the KR. By 2020, there will probably have been 2 or 3 model changes to the Mustang and performance improvements along the way and (hopefully) more Shelby versions too. On the other hand, if I plan to only keep my cars for 2 to 3 years or so, then I would probably keep trading them in on the latest model and go from SGT to GT500 to GT500NASCAR to GT500Purdhome to GT500Super Snake to GT500KR to Boss 302 to GT350 to whatever is next (maybe a Boss 429 or a GT350R or the first Shelby Mustang hover craft or time machine - as long as the flux capacitor is invented). Right now my KR and my 69 Mach 1 are happily resting in their spots and I have no plans for them except to take the KR to the Hall of Kings if I'm selected. I would only consider selling my Mach 1 if I was presented with a killer deal on an FGT but I'm not shopping for one, just love em.

Now, if this same question is posed on the GT350 forum to GT350 owners, they would probably all say that they would not trade their GT350 for a KR, but that is only natural as that is what they bought and they had a choice of the KR or the GT350 for about the same money and chose the GT350. I'm still surprised that there are some new KRs available out there and folks are choosing to buy a 2011 GT500 instead, but thats just my preference. If I had about $60k and didn't have my KR, I would make the deal on the KR in a heartbeat over an 11 GT500 or GT350, but thats why we live in this great country so we are free to choose which Shelby we want. For $60k there are a lot of cars I could choose from (including some vintage Shelbys in varying condition), but I chose the 08 KR. Long live the king! :shift:

It looks like one maybe and all the others so far would not trade their KR in for the 350. A lot wouldn't mind to have both. Well, I agree with the majority. I would NEVER give up my KR for the 350. Unless it came with an original 427 Shelby Cobra!

I love my KR for all that it is! I could not believe when I was in the dealership when I was actually buying it. Then, that first drive in my new KR!! Holy cow, what a feeling. Great suspension, great power, great looks..... Love it....

Well guys, I has my 09 KR (#301) parked next to Warrens GT350R for a TV interview and having looked the 350 over and under, I still like the KR better. There are somethings on the 350 that just doesn't meet the level of the KR. It is great car, just to many off the shelf parts that people could add to their own GT's to copy the 350 look. The main part of the 350 is it's engine and suspensions. The KR isa completed balance package and is in a class by itself and will always be the car to wish for. Just my two cents worth.

What TV interview? :shrug:

The main part of the 350 is it's engine and suspensions.

Both of which can be purchased by the average Joe, through Ford Racing Perfomance Parts.

This is a little bit like the comparison I made with the Super Snake vs. the GT500KR.

I can *easily* clone a SS but it's near impossible to clone a KR (mainly in part due to the 18" Alcoa's and the Hood).

If I put a SS hood, a set of 20" Alcoa's and a black or white SS thin-THICK-thin stripe on my GT500, no one would know it wasn't a SS from 10 feet away. And in fact, unless I opened up the hood or the door (no CSM plate) you wouldn't know from 1 foot away.

The GT350 does have some "GT3350 specific" body parts on it but all the rest can be easily bought. And the body parts that are specific are not nearly as hard to replicate as the KR hood would be. I'd put money on it that in the future, you will be able to clone a 350.

But to this day, no one makes a KR hood or 18" Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels...

Just my thoughts,

Phill

Hmm, very interesting.... :lurk:

Its hard to make the determination without driving both cars. This may be better asked after some of you get a chance to drive the 350.

Also, when polling what build is better, I dont think you are going to get a true read if you ask it in either the 350 or KR forums...

...unless you are specifically asking "KR owners" if they would trade their cars for a 350. :salute:

OK, I don't own a KR, so I'm peeking in here, with (well some) objectivity since I'm not an existing owner of either.

First off, you guys rock. :rockon:

When I was ready to buy, the KR had just been announced and it was before the whole market tanked. So the GT500 was all my wallet would let me afford.

The way the KR hood alone is engineered is amazing. Just had to call that out even thought there are sooo many things I could call out.

So the legacy, the look, the rest of the "package" and the "this is it, last call" unless there is a 45th or 50th anniversary addition to the pack later, make this a no-brainer for me. Last call to buy a legend.

If I barely had enough $$, and was offered a choice of either, but had to pick just one. Hands down the KR would be my choice within the blink of an eye to decide.

:yup::yup::yup:

SkipH: Thanks for the group compliment. :salute:

Love the Red Appearance pkg! I almost bought a GT500 that was black with the red appearance package a about 6 months before I bought the KR in Oct '09. Man that black GT500 was smokin hot!!! I wanted a GT500 and the dealer with the Black GT500 w/ the red package had 3 KRs tucked away in the back in a "safe corner in one of the service a garages and you had to ask to go see them. I'm surprised they didn't require a secret pass word. :confused: Funny thing though, one of the KRs was eventually to be mine, one was eventually to be Paul W's who lives right down the street from me and the other was to be FIA Cobra's but...at that time the dealer was still looking for the $85k list price down from $100K 6 months before that!. At that time I was looking at the black GT500 and they came down to $85K on the KR. The economy had already crashed hard and been in the dumper for 6 months at that point.

These dealers are a piece of work. I had previously offered list on the red KR they had right before the economy tanked (over 6 months earlier). They turned their nose up at me. They said no way, since they had sold one or two before over $100k and were doing me a favor at $100k. Now fast forward 6 month into the economy crash I asked for a deal on the black GT500. I didn't buy the GT500 with the red appearance package since they wanted list and wouldn't really talk. I got disgusted and walked out.

Then fast forward again to Oct 2009 Paul W drives over one Sunday night with the Silver KR. I knew where it came from and last saw it sitting right next the red KR at the dealer with the blue KR that FIA now owns. I was wide eyed and said what did you pay?. He tells me. I said no way. He said "way". He also said the blue KR just sold too. I say "what about the red KR?" (which was the one I was after) He said "no its there all by itself in the corner". Monday morning guess where I go? :superhero: I now pay $62K for the "09 Red KR.

Sales manager is crying to me they are losing money on the KRs they sold. I shed a crocodile tear for him and I said, "no not really, as I recall you guys still made out considering the two you sold over for $100k last year. Remember?." He didn't say a word. I smiled and he hands me the keys to the new red KR. True story. :shift:

Everything in life is timing. :salute:

Both of which can be purchased by the average Joe, through Ford Racing Perfomance Parts.

This is a little bit like the comparison I made with the Super Snake vs. the GT500KR.

I can *easily* clone a SS but it's near impossible to clone a KR (mainly in part due to the 18" Alcoa's and the Hood).

If I put a SS hood, a set of 20" Alcoa's and a black or white SS thin-THICK-thin stripe on my GT500, no one would know it wasn't a SS from 10 feet away. And in fact, unless I opened up the hood or the door (no CSM plate) you wouldn't know from 1 foot away.

The GT350 does have some "GT3350 specific" body parts on it but all the rest can be easily bought. And the body parts that are specific are not nearly as hard to replicate as the KR hood would be. I'd put money on it that in the future, you will be able to clone a 350.

But to this day, no one makes a KR hood or 18" Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels...

Just my thoughts,

Phill

I just bought a Rolex Daytona clone on Canal Street in New York City-just as good as an original

Archived