TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 vs. New 5.0

re50cal

Is 5.0 just as fast as GT500, because if you read the stats and 0-60 times in different magazines, the times are identical in some magazines and close in others. times for 5.0 say, 0-60 in 4.4 secs. And GT500 shows 4.2. Whats the purpose of a Cobra if the 5.0 is just as fast. Someone please make me feel like the extra money I spent was worth it. :rant2:

Is 5.0 just as fast as GT500, because if you read the stats and 0-60 times in different magazines, the times are identical in some magazines and close in others. times for 5.0 say, 0-60 in 4.4 secs. And GT500 shows 4.2. Whats the purpose of a Cobra if the 5.0 is just as fast. Someone please make me feel like the extra money I spent was worth it. :rant2:

That's a great question. A 5.0 just isn't as "cool" as owning a Shelby. :hysterical:

Don't worry about 0-60. What about top speed and 30-60 or 60-100? There are pros and cons to both cars. The 5.4 can handle serious power and the 5.0 is yet TBD. Yes some tuners are running serious numbers with a 5.0, but the GT500 is still a beast. Suspension tuning, tires and weight transfer are key when it comes to GT500 mods. It is personal preference, go dive a 2011 5.0 and make the comparison. I just think that in the long run a stock GT500 will hold it's value more than a modded 5.0.

I've test driven both cars and I think the 5.0 is a great car!!! Such a huge performance leap above the 2010's, Ford really hit a home run. 0-60....yeah the cars are close. The Shelby's extra weight hurt it a bit and having so much power means it's tough to get a clean launch. But that's from a dead start. Once the car is moving the GT500 is a rocket! I cannot believe how the power pours out of it's engine. The 5.0 is a nice car but take one for a spin and you'll instantly see that it is no Shelby, and there is no way it can hang with it.

I was looking at getting a Boss 302 and while that car will handle well on the track I know that it just will not have the power of the GT500 (fyi- early reports say the Boss doesn't really improve on the 0-60 times of the 5.0, despite having more HP and a higher redline). I've been so impressed with the 2011 GT500 I'm just about reading to trade in my 08 on one.

Stock 5.0 - good quarter mile time is 12.9 at 110.

Stock GT500 - good quarter mile time 12.0 at 119.

That's so much of a difference, is it really even worth asking?

I've test driven a 5.0, and while it is a quick car, it's nowhere near a Shelby.

So to answer your question. Yes, you spent your money wisely.

Also...if you want to feel the extra money was worth it, consider that the seats are far superior to the seating in the 5.0. You've also got better wheels and tires. And then there is the WOW factor. I don't want to sound like an elitist but there are plenty of GT's out on the road but you don't see many Shelby's. The car never fails to turn heads. I'm sure you could buy some ugly looking ride that could beat the pants off of the 5.0 and the GT500, but is that what you'd really want to drive around in?

Stock 5.0 - good quarter mile time is 12.9 at 110.

Stock GT500 - good quarter mile time 12.0 at 119.

That's so much of a difference, is it really even worth asking?

I've test driven a 5.0, and while it is a quick car, it's nowhere near a Shelby.

So to answer your question. Yes, you spent your money wisely.

There is a Silver 5.0 that runs @ Rockingham and Piedmont dragways. I have seen him run and talked to him the the Guy who tuned his car.

His mods are CAI, and a custom tune from True Dyno and DR's.

He ran 11.6 @ 117 @ Rockingham

He was running 7.4's and 7.5's in the 1/8 @ Piedmont.

He is a heck of a driver cutting 1.5X 60'

MY 2010 GT500 ran 11.9 @ 120 with a 1.9 60' @ Rockingham.

I think they are easier to launch because they don't have the low end torque that our GT500 have.

I know they are going to kill the run of the mill SS Camaro's @ the track.

Took my SRT8 Challenger to Piedmont the other night and was running 8.2's against an Automatic SS Camaro running 8.5's wasn't even close.

These 5.0's are going to surprise a lot of folks.

Yeah, I agree. The response I get when driving is crazy, you would think I was driving a ferrari or something, I do think its much cooler than the 5.0.

Also...if you want to feel the extra money was worth it, consider that the seats are far superior to the seating in the 5.0. You've also got better wheels and tires. And then there is the WOW factor. I don't want to sound like an elitist but there are plenty of GT's out on the road but you don't see many Shelby's. The car never fails to turn heads. I'm sure you could buy some ugly looking ride that could beat the pants off of the 5.0 and the GT500, but is that what you'd really want to drive around in?

I would agree to all of that. I feel much better..

Thanks for the comments, I agree to everything you guys said, I just needed to hear it I think. I do love the car, just cant find many places around here to let it rip. And a trailer would be nice, if anyone is selling one. 8.5 x 24 Enclosed. I'm uploading some new pics today so check them out

Thanks for the comments, I agree to everything you guys said, I just needed to hear it I think. I do love the car, just cant find many places around here to let it rip. And a trailer would be nice, if anyone is selling one. 8.5 x 24 Enclosed. I'm uploading some new pics today so check them out

Once again I have had the privilege of owning both cars. :) Your comment here exemplified why I got rid of my Shelby. It's a car, it's meant to be driven, IMO. I couldn't seem to get that thought into my head and it spent way more time just sitting around in the garage.

From a dead stop, the 5.0 is almost as fast. The transmission gear ratios are very close, which helps keep the engine in the sweet spot. It also weighs 250-350 lb less than the Shelby (depending on year), that's a big helper in the launch department. Once you're rolling, the power of the GT500 takes over. That's a given. I always felt that the GT500 had inferior brakes personally. While the 5.0 has smaller brakes yet, it stops just as good maybe a tad better.

The Shelby suspension is far better than the stock 5.0 suspension. Now if you add in the track pack, I have no idea there.

I ran both of them at the track, each one time so I think the numbers can be a reasonably fair comparison. My control group here is my brother's 2003 Cobra who I ran against both times, at the same track, in the same lane. Just two different nights.

First time out in the GT500 I went 12.79 @ 114. My brother ran 13.20 @ 109.

First time out in the 5.0 I went 13.20 @ 108. My brother ran 13.40 @ 107.

The weather when I ran the 5.0 was pretty terrible. It was about 98° and extremely humid. I'm confident it can easily trap 110 with some better weather. I'm also confident that with more seat time I could have gotten the GT500 up to 116 or so. I know I couldn't have reached the magazine claimed 119-120 though.

Think of it this way. If you were looking at just puchasing a car for performance numbers, then yeah, there are other things you could have bought with better stats. If you were aiming at a gorgeous car that has prestige, great looks, huge HP, great sound, is comfortable in all driving conditions, and has a real American history, then you purchased the right car.

I hope this helps some. Both are great vehicles. I don't have any bad things to say about either. Just pieces of my opinion that fit my personality.

re50cal,

I think most of like to have a little reassurance that our car was a good purchase. Currently I have an '08 GT500 and I love that car and have never regretted buying it...but I got an obscenely great price on it :)

The Boss 302 got my new car fever worked up and I'm #1 on my dealers list to get it. But I thought I should take a look at what else is out there. So I looked at the 5.0 and the '11 GT500's and the Challenger SRT8 and R/T. I like the look of the Challenger and the cars are a decent performer but they pale in comparison to the GT500. A Challenger R/T died on me during a test drive ( I got it going again) and that ended any thoughts of getting one.

Money wise....it's tough to beat the 5.0. You can even load it up with every option and be 20k less that the Shelby. Now while cost is almost always a factor ( except for a few of you lucky bastards!), if you're looking at getting a mustang then you want more from your car than just cheap transportation from point A to point B. You want power AND looks. The Shelby GT500 is the cock of the walk! Some people just can't afford it and they settle for the 5.0. Some can't afford the 5.0 and they settle for the V6...and this year the V6 is no slouch, especially with the PP. Dollar wise one could easily argue that the V6 makes the most sense. Some folks want the best and are willing to pay more for it. The GT500 is the best mustang on the road.

Now after all my looking and test driving I'm faced with the reality that only a 2011 GT500 is going to suit me. The Boss 302 will be an awesome car on the track but it's too bare bones (options wise) to suit my driving needs and wants. I still love my '08 but it's very tempting to get a new one. I agonize over this choice every day. Enjoy your GT500 and know you bought the right car.

Thanks for the info. I am highly impressed with my 2011 shelby, especially with the upgrades from 2010 model. Those are great track times. Did you use stock tires or slicks? I also believe a vehicle should be driven but I am trying to be miles conscious as well. Never know when you might want to sell it. Lol. I want to go to Virginia International Raceway and do their road course but I also don't want to tear my car up. We shall see. Thanks for the info.

Once again I have had the privilege of owning both cars. :) Your comment here exemplified why I got rid of my Shelby. It's a car, it's meant to be driven, IMO. I couldn't seem to get that thought into my head and it spent way more time just sitting around in the garage.

From a dead stop, the 5.0 is almost as fast. The transmission gear ratios are very close, which helps keep the engine in the sweet spot. It also weighs 250-350 lb less than the Shelby (depending on year), that's a big helper in the launch department. Once you're rolling, the power of the GT500 takes over. That's a given. I always felt that the GT500 had inferior brakes personally. While the 5.0 has smaller brakes yet, it stops just as good maybe a tad better.

The Shelby suspension is far better than the stock 5.0 suspension. Now if you add in the track pack, I have no idea there.

I ran both of them at the track, each one time so I think the numbers can be a reasonably fair comparison. My control group here is my brother's 2003 Cobra who I ran against both times, at the same track, in the same lane. Just two different nights.

First time out in the GT500 I went 12.79 @ 114. My brother ran 13.20 @ 109.

First time out in the 5.0 I went 13.20 @ 108. My brother ran 13.40 @ 107.

The weather when I ran the 5.0 was pretty terrible. It was about 98° and extremely humid. I'm confident it can easily trap 110 with some better weather. I'm also confident that with more seat time I could have gotten the GT500 up to 116 or so. I know I couldn't have reached the magazine claimed 119-120 though.

Think of it this way. If you were looking at just puchasing a car for performance numbers, then yeah, there are other things you could have bought with better stats. If you were aiming at a gorgeous car that has prestige, great looks, huge HP, great sound, is comfortable in all driving conditions, and has a real American history, then you purchased the right car.

I hope this helps some. Both are great vehicles. I don't have any bad things to say about either. Just pieces of my opinion that fit my personality.

I think out of the cars you listed, you better stick with the GT 500, the 2011 is an all out monster. Although I have concerns about the speeds comopared to the 5.0 doesnt mean I am not satisfied with the car. The Challenger is a nice look and I considered it as well, but when they started my car up in the showroom and every head in the dealership turned and smiled, and people started coming out of closed doors, and my mom who was with me went quickly from -why do you want another stupid mustang, to jumping up and saying OMG!!!! And the attention has not stopped since. I've gotten thumbs up from old ladies to kids while driving, I get pulled over just because someone wants to see it, I've seen people in my rear-view taking pics, and countless Jaw Drops that rendered people speechless. It's amazing. But having driven it since August, I have not had any complaints. The cars performance and stability is near flawless and brakes like nobody business. And shifts as if it does it on its own. No hesitation in performance in any gear. Except 6th of course. And by the way if you don't use 6th gear, expect to only get 13 m.p.g. quote name='Whammer' timestamp='1287668394' post='1050593']

re50cal,

I think most of like to have a little reassurance that our car was a good purchase. Currently I have an '08 GT500 and I love that car and have never regretted buying it...but I got an obscenely great price on it :)

The Boss 302 got my new car fever worked up and I'm #1 on my dealers list to get it. But I thought I should take a look at what else is out there. So I looked at the 5.0 and the '11 GT500's and the Challenger SRT8 and R/T. I like the look of the Challenger and the cars are a decent performer but they pale in comparison to the GT500. A Challenger R/T died on me during a test drive ( I got it going again) and that ended any thoughts of getting one.

Money wise....it's tough to beat the 5.0. You can even load it up with every option and be 20k less that the Shelby. Now while cost is almost always a factor ( except for a few of you lucky bastards!), if you're looking at getting a mustang then you want more from your car than just cheap transportation from point A to point B. You want power AND looks. The Shelby GT500 is the cock of the walk! Some people just can't afford it and they settle for the 5.0. Some can't afford the 5.0 and they settle for the V6...and this year the V6 is no slouch, especially with the PP. Dollar wise one could easily argue that the V6 makes the most sense. Some folks want the best and are willing to pay more for it. The GT500 is the best mustang on the road.

Now after all my looking and test driving I'm faced with the reality that only a 2011 GT500 is going to suit me. The Boss 302 will be an awesome car on the track but it's too bare bones (options wise) to suit my driving needs and wants. I still love my '08 but it's very tempting to get a new one. I agonize over this choice every day. Enjoy your GT500 and know you bought the right car.

Im glad you arent trying to make a comparison between the Super Snake and GT350R. I have both. (Well, the GT500 has all of the performance of the 605HP SS, because I simply bought the exact parts that go on it, just didnt do the conversion at Shelby because I didnt want to loose the red stripe package).

The 350R is the fastest Shelby out there, bar none. (excluding the prudhomme on a drag scenario)

Thanks for the info. I am highly impressed with my 2011 shelby, especially with the upgrades from 2010 model. Those are great track times. Did you use stock tires or slicks? I also believe a vehicle should be driven but I am trying to be miles conscious as well. Never know when you might want to sell it. Lol. I want to go to Virginia International Raceway and do their road course but I also don't want to tear my car up. We shall see. Thanks for the info.

Oh, I'm sure the '11 model is even more of a fantastic machine. I heard one driving by at the dealership several months back and I will say the new exhaust note is 100 times better than the '10 model.

My times were 100% completely stock. The Shelby had about 2800 miles on it at the time. The 5.0 had about 1500 on it. Both were about a 2.2-2.3 60' time. Minimal "burnout", just a quick spin over to get the water off.

I completely understand your mileage concerns. That was the part that I couldn't make myself live with and what ultimately led me to get into something else. I'm a driver. The whole garage queen thing just wasn't my style. :)

Im glad you arent trying to make a comparison between the Super Snake and GT350R. I have both. (Well, the GT500 has all of the performance of the 605HP SS, because I simply bought the exact parts that go on it, just didnt do the conversion at Shelby because I didnt want to loose the red stripe package).

The 350R is the fastest Shelby out there, bar none. (excluding the prudhomme on a drag scenario)

I've got my doubts that the 5.0 is going to be able to handle that much power and that much boost for very long....but you've got the bucks to drop in a new engine so I doubt you need to worry.

I've got my doubts that the 5.0 is going to be able to handle that much power and that much boost for very long....but you've got the bucks to drop in a new engine so I doubt you need to worry.

Why the doubt? :) Actually, it's a pretty mild amount of boost. Only 9 lb. It has a steel crank and forged rods (same type as the GT500 engine, forged powered metal). The pistons are hypereutectic, but as long as the tune is solid and there's no detonation it'll be right as rain. The nice thing with TiVCT is they can bleed as much cylinder pressure as they need to to with simply tuning.

When I can get around to it I fully intend to slap on the 624HP kit from Ford Racing. It doesn't have the warranty like the 525HP kit, but it's the same in the GT500 world. 630HP, warranty. 750HP, no warranty. :)

You didn't want to lose the red stripe package or you realized you could save a ridiculous amount of money by simply adding the parts yourself?

As to what the fastest S197 is, we shall see if the post title blown Coyote (with a stick) is indeed quicker at the digs and on a road course against a factory Ford blown 5.4, Motor Trend development vehicle tests aside.

Why the doubt? :)... It has a steel crank and forged rods (same type as the GT500 engine, forged powered metal).

Except the 5.4 GT500 rod was designed for boost. The slightly modified 4.6 rod that became the 5.0 rod, wasn't.

Why the doubt? :) Actually, it's a pretty mild amount of boost. Only 9 lb. It has a steel crank and forged rods (same type as the GT500 engine, forged powered metal). The pistons are hypereutectic, but as long as the tune is solid and there's no detonation it'll be right as rain. The nice thing with TiVCT is they can bleed as much cylinder pressure as they need to to with simply tuning.

When I can get around to it I fully intend to slap on the 624HP kit from Ford Racing. It doesn't have the warranty like the 525HP kit, but it's the same in the GT500 world. 630HP, warranty. 750HP, no warranty. :)

So are you saying the 11:1 compression of the 5.0 is a non factor?

"The 350R is the fastest Shelby out there, bar none." Post title fastest in your opinion and it's living on the very edge. When it blows up and you put a LS Boss bottom end or another entire non original engine, it will be another modded Shelby, Bottom line is you have the latest and greatest Shelby and we have all read how you have the fastest car, that's great! Please don't take me wrong, the GT350 is very cool. I know it's hard to be humble when you are the best.

Blayne

"The 350R is the fastest Shelby out there, bar none." Post title fastest in your opinion and it's living on the very edge. When it blows up and you put a LS Boss bottom end or another entire non original engine, it will be another modded Shelby, Bottom line is you have the latest and greatest Shelby and we have all read how you have the fastest car, that's great! Please don't take me wrong, the GT350 is very cool. I know it's hard to be humble when you are the best.

Blayne

Well I'm not trying to start anything but I consider the GT350 to be a modded 5.0. There are already modded 5.0's that would rip the GT350 a new one, so calling it the fastest mustang is misleading.

I like both cars, but my main thing is what would be the difference in the 5.0 vs. 2011 GT500 nonSVT vs. the 2011 GT500 SVT? I know the SVT has more grip better suspension and other extras, but I'm sure the nonSVT can hold its own. I dont care if the 5.0 does seem to match the GT500, I love the fact that I will soon have the GT500 in my garage and knowing that mine is exclusive and a low production car that everyone does not have. Oh, and I cannot forget the sound it makes like everyone else says. But I don't know if I can keep the stock sound for long as I'm loving the Borla Atak exhaust!

I like both cars, but my main thing is what would be the difference in the 5.0 vs. 2011 GT500 nonSVT vs. the 2011 GT500 SVT? I know the SVT has more grip better suspension and other extras, but I'm sure the nonSVT can hold its own. I dont care if the 5.0 does seem to match the GT500, I love the fact that I will soon have the GT500 in my garage and knowing that mine is exclusive and a low production car that everyone does not have. Oh, and I cannot forget the sound it makes like everyone else says. But I don't know if I can keep the stock sound for long as I'm loving the Borla Atak exhaust!

I emailed Borla yesterday to ask if they were going to do an ATAK muffler for the `11 GT500. They replied today that they have no products for the 2011 yet and to check their site in another 2-3 weeks. So I`m hoping they`ve got something nice coming out.,

Well I'm not trying to start anything but I consider the GT350 to be a modded 5.0. There are already modded 5.0's that would rip the GT350 a new one, so calling it the fastest mustang is misleading.

Well even though there are other 5.0's out there that would rip them a new one i think most buyers for the 350 would be interested in being part of the exclusive club than anything.

Well even though there are other 5.0's out there that would rip them a new one i think most buyers for the 350 would be interested in being part of the exclusive club than anything.

I`m sure they would and I`m happy for them. Personally I can`t see paying that much, but those buying it seem to have the cash to burn so it`s no big deal for them.

So are you saying the 11:1 compression of the 5.0 is a non factor?

Compression is irrelevant. It's no different than a GT500 engine with increased boost. It's all about cylinder pressure. Yes, the 11:1 ratio of the 5.0 contributes to why you only see a 9 lb boost kit available. Any higher and yes, it's starting to really build too much cylinder pressure, probably. I don't consider that ANY different than putting the Ford Racing 2.9L blower on the GT500 for 750HP. I would be they're building similar cylinder pressures on the compression strokes since the Shelby would be at ~17 lb boost.

Which engine would you have more confidence in with equal "borderline too high" cylinder pressure? The 5.0 or the GT500? Is this where engine component materials/composition can improve longivity of a car that has borderline too much boost?

This is a real question, and not hypothetical. I really would like to know.

Archived