TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop

Well I havent had my car long and it has been in the shop with the SC install so im still finding stuff out about it. My friend and I was looking at my SC today and he has a GT 500 and he says hey your hood scoop is functional. I thought he was being a smarta** and I said a few choice words.lol.. He said no really look someone modified it and did a good job. Well sure enough I got to looking and it is and it appears a good job was done on it. I am amazed at the mods this car has that I keep finding it is great!! Just wanted to share..

So, I guess you have a nice hole in your hood. How about some inside/outside pics?

I will post some pics tomorrow after I clean it up. They done a nice job on it I cant complain at all.

What is done is it is cut under the scoop and looks welded to make the edges smooth. As far as a ram air effect im sure there isnt much because of air just going over the scoop but would it not at least help with heat from the SC under there. Personally I wouldnt have done it myself just because I wouldnt want to cut my hood but the owner before me did.

I read through the posts about how thisdoesnt really make it functional. Why would someone not just say that instead of making comments or saying well you gotta nice hole in your hood? I mean if someone came to one of my bodybuilding boards I would at least give them a heads up. I didnt do the mod and I just got the car so Im still reading and learning here. I guess it would be pointless to post pics since its just a nice hole in my hood...

??? What is the problem? Just because it doesn'thave a ram air effect doesn't mean it's not functional. If the scoop is open in the front and air is getting into the engine bay, then it does have a function. There would be some positive effect. All of us that own SGT's wish that the scoop was made functional to begin with. That doesn't mean we wanted it to be a ram air scoop or more like a shaker hood. At least from my point of view, if there's a scoop on the hood, I think it should at least allow air into the engine bay. Nobody here is jumping on your case about who did the mod or criticizing anything. I am interested to see some pics because I would like to see a way that the scoop could be open and functional. Nothing to get bent out of shape about.

??? What is the problem? Just because it doesn'thave a ram air effect doesn't mean it's not functional. If the scoop is open in the front and air is getting into the engine bay, then it does have a function. There would be some positive effect. All of us that own SGT's wish that the scoop was made functional to begin with. That doesn't mean we wanted it to be a ram air scoop or more like a shaker hood. At least from my point of view, if there's a scoop on the hood, I think it should at least allow air into the engine bay. Nobody here is jumping on your case about who did the mod or criticizing anything. I am interested to see some pics because I would like to see a way that the scoop could be open and functional. Nothing to get bent out of shape about.

I think the point here is you can't just cut a hole in the hood and say it has a function and/or positive effect.

In fact history shows quite opposite may be true! Just ask early buyers of the Super Snake and how their car was stalling due to air flow from the functional hood.

In the SGT the CAI and MAS are set up with an enclosed hood as the baseline. If you make a large change to the air circulation you need to check what effect IF ANY on that configuration. Most people have had good luck with this not hurting anything, but it's important not to minimize the potential issues that can happen.

As for pictures of a functional scoop use the search function, especially for the Chip Beck and his version which is more suited to that use than the standard scoop that needs the internal structural support which is removed to make it functional. You'll find lots of examples!

It seems to me that the only way to prove that any useful function exists is to see dyno results before and after a scoop is opened up. Until that happens we're just never going to know.

Who wants to volunteer their time and money (not me)? :hysterical:

It seems to me that the only way to prove that any useful function exists is to see dyno results before and after a scoop is opened up. Until that happens we're just never going to know.

Who wants to volunteer their time and money (not me)? :hysterical:

+1 I don't think it does squat so in that sense it's not "functional" throwing air around the engine compartment anymore than it's functional for looks with a nod to the Cobra. IMHO!

After I eat I will take some pics and show you all what it looks like. I never thought about too much air for the CAI that is a good point.

In your case the previous owner may have considered that in the tune etc., so you may be totally fine, or nothing at all was needed!

:happy feet:

But the word "functional" has meaning...that the air is actually serving a purpose, and frankly I've never seen anything definitive that it does. It's all about cost vs. hp and i can see that as a VERY expensive thing, IF done right, and I think of a lot better things to do with the money. :headscratch:

Maybe with the SC it's there to cool it? But it's my understanding that SC don't need "cooling" as much as the compartment needs "venting" so even there I can see some debate. In other words I don't think people should be running out and cutting their hoods. :redcard:

Regardless your car sounds real nice!

In your case the previous owner may have considered that in the tune etc., so you may be totally fine, or nothing at all was needed!

:happy feet:

But the word "functional" has meaning...that the air is actually serving a purpose, and frankly I've never seen anything definitive that it does. It's all about cost vs. hp and i can see that as a VERY expensive thing, IF done right, and I think of a lot better things to do with the money. :headscratch:

Maybe with the SC it's there to cool it? But it's my understanding that SC don't need "cooling" as much as the compartment needs "venting" so even there I can see some debate. In other words I don't think people should be running out and cutting their hoods. :redcard:

Regardless your car sounds real nice!

If it would have been my choice no way I would have cut that hood.lol

I will try and get some good pics I want you guys to see if it is at least done correct. I am also getting a check engine light on now since the SC install..

please post pics buddy. always makes me smile to see another sgt. and actually your functional scoop will lower under hood temperatures by about 20 degrees or so(if you dont believe me then search the forums, its been tested and proven)

That's to be expected. The question is what difference does it make? :headscratch:

If I could afford it, I think I'd get one of those Cervinis ram-air hoods, and a tune, and hang my SGT hood on my garage wall. :headscratch: Why? I don't know!! :hysterical:

It looks like they did a good job.

What does the front of the scoop look like? Tou know, where the plastic honey comb resides?

I think it's a good idea. Even if all it does is extract heat from under the hood after engine is shut-down, its a plus, IMHO.

Just curious to why you had chosen a roush supercharger?

Did the previous owner install the Shelby Brake light?

I made a thread on it a while back. Warranty and i didnt need a lot of HP I dont plan on racing just wanted to be safe. I put the Shelby brake light cover on.

Also I said when I go this car I was going to do what I wanted to and not worry what others thought. I love Shelbys and I love the Roush Mustangs. So I felt like I was getting the best of both worlds. Sure Im not putting out what a Kenne Bell will but I know my motor is safe and its a weekend car for thw wife and I . Plus VMP tunning will send me a flash and dufferent pully and they said it will put out over 500 hp by doing that. Right now it is just fine for me. Track control off hold to the floor and it will spin and when it catches the sound of the charger sounds great. I am very very pleased with it.

It looks like they did a good job.

What does the front of the scoop look like? Tou know, where the plastic honey comb resides?

I think it's a good idea. Even if all it does is extract heat from under the hood after engine is shut-down, its a plus, IMHO.

I will double check to make sure but I do belive the honeycomb is gone

That's to be expected. The question is what difference does it make? :headscratch:

it helps a lot with heat soak. you be suprised how alittle air movement under the hood changes how your car preforms most people wont notice much unless there pushing there cars pretty hard. on a side note, it would be more effective with vents on the hood.

personally ive thought about making mine functional. just dont feel like doing that to a stock hood. now if i find another hood then its game one.

I made a thread on it a while back. Warranty and i didnt need a lot of HP I dont plan on racing just wanted to be safe. I put the Shelby brake light cover on.

Also I said when I go this car I was going to do what I wanted to and not worry what others thought. I love Shelbys and I love the Roush Mustangs. So I felt like I was getting the best of both worlds. Sure Im not putting out what a Kenne Bell will but I know my motor is safe and its a weekend car for thw wife and I . Plus VMP tunning will send me a flash and dufferent pully and they said it will put out over 500 hp by doing that. Right now it is just fine for me. Track control off hold to the floor and it will spin and when it catches the sound of the charger sounds great. I am very very pleased with it.

Cool, thats the nice thng about these cars is that you can modify them exactly how you want to.

I went with the whipple 550 because I wanted to eat most cars on the road and if I blew my motor up I would just buy a new Ford Hot rod engine.

No offence but I think the shelby brake light is a little too much especially when Shelby is written on the trunk lid but again thats only my opinion so don't take offence to that comment.

Cool, thats the nice thng about these cars is that you can modify them exactly how you want to.

I went with the whipple 550 because I wanted to eat most cars on the road and if I blew my motor up I would just buy a new Ford Hot rod engine.

No offence but I think the shelby brake light is a little too much especially when Shelby is written on the trunk lid but again thats only my opinion so don't take offence to that comment.

Thanks bro. No offense on the brake light its funny thats my favorite mod except for the SC. But I think its because my wife bought it for me.

I drove my car all day today guys. I love this thing. I have had a few Mustangs but this is my dream car. I grew up very poor and never thought in a million years I would own a car like this. Some more mods and tell me what you think. I may do these this winter

- headlight splitters pre painted

- glossy mirror covers black

- rear aluminum window cover- unsure on this one

- autograph on airbag

- VMP tunning flash and different pully for SC

- may get the seat upgraded in the color i have now with silver in the middle

Guys throw me out some more ideas. My suspension has been redone and it is great. I need to post some pics of it for you guys. I didnt do it the previous ownder did.

I appreciate the help here. I check this forum more then my bodybuilding forums now.lol

That's my thinking too. I have to believe that Ford knows what they're doing and they use vents not scoops.

BTW, hoods are a dime a dozen and there's even one here from an SGT for sale!

:shift:

yeah im sure fords spent alot of time in the wind tunnel with our cars. can guarantee thats why the gt500 got vents instead of scoops. as it stands i feel a functional scoop should be accompanied by a vent or two.

im leaning towards the 67 style hood for now. id love to make a sgt hood functional and have vents that are functional(and molded flush into the hood) just not sure if people would think rice or not.

Archived