TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bad batteries?

thewheelman

2nd time in a month I've had to jump start the GT500. First time it had sat for a couple of weeks and I had left the GPS plugged up and on. That's when I started the "Push or jump" thread. However, I drove it a week ago Friday and Saturday afternoon it wouldn't even turn over.

Someone please remind me of the bad battery issue. Is this a warranty item? I purchased my car in Aug. 08 new and it's just turned over 20k on the odo......

Thanks!

2nd time in a month I've had to jump start the GT500. First time it had sat for a couple of weeks and I had left the GPS plugged up and on. That's when I started the "Push or jump" thread. However, I drove it a week ago Friday and Saturday afternoon it wouldn't even turn over.

Someone please remind me of the bad battery issue. Is this a warranty item? I purchased my car in Aug. 08 new and it's just turned over 20k on the odo......

Thanks!

How long had the car been sitting? It should be able to handle 2 weeks, but if it was sitting like 4, well, probably not a battery issue. Also depends on how much the GPS draws. I've not read anything about any batteries actually being "bad" or recalled. These cars just do draw quite a bit for the battery, and I would recommend getting a battery tender, or (what I use) battery tender Jr to keep the battery always at full charge.

The first time it had sat a couple of weeks. Last time 8 days. Battery ought to last longer than that........ If I got to put a tender on it for weekly drives, we gotta do something else....

Yup. 8 days is nothing. Best bet is to take it someplace to have the storage capacity and CCA tested. I swear by the guys I work with at BatterysPlus down the street to never stear me wrong

Thanks!

The battery in our cars is crap. I have had cars that sat over winter for a lot of my life, and this is the first car I have ever had that can't make it thru the winter with monthly 1/2 run sessions. All the others would do it fine, and this thing needs a charger for anything more than a few weeks.

Can anyone reference the TSB for the battery?

Thanks!

Hal,

Forget the TSB...go buy another BETTER aftermarket battery and be done! Mine died this summer with 3500 miles just over 3 yrs. old. It's been said on here that the factory batteries are horrible. You don't want another Fomoco battery. JMHO

:salute: BIKEBOY

Hal,

Forget the TSB...go buy another BETTER aftermarket battery and be done! Mine died this summer with 3500 miles just over 3 yrs. old. It's been said on here that the factory batteries are horrible. You don't want another Fomoco battery. JMHO

:salute: BIKEBOY

+1 If you check out the TSB in the TSB list, there is no warranty on the battery.

Buy a better aftermarket battery is the way to go.

Or you could always get creative, add weight, and figure out a place to put a second battery in parallel with the first one, making sure to add the electronics to keep them both from being drained.

Naaaa.....

Well, my battery is not dead yet. But when it time, based on the specs for our BXT-96R specs, I'll probably be going with an Optima Red Top or since I'll be sinking a lot of cash anyway, perhaps the Optima Yellow Top due to the additional reserve capacity even though the CCA is a bit lower then the Red Top

Thanks for all your inputs. I called dealer earlier in week and they said it was covered. Took the car to Nashville--purchase dealer--Friday. They replaced the battery under warranty, no cost to me. My FoMoCo batteries have held up pretty well, so far. My 05 SCrew has oem battery in it with 70k and my 2000 model E-250 conversion with 80k had oem battery until about 14 months ago.......

Battery swap was no cost, but whew! Oil change at $94 really gets your attention! $9.15/quart for the oil.....geez!

Thanks for all your inputs. I called dealer earlier in week and they said it was covered. Took the car to Nashville--purchase dealer--Friday. They replaced the battery under warranty, no cost to me. My FoMoCo batteries have held up pretty well, so far. My 05 SCrew has oem battery in it with 70k and my 2000 model E-250 conversion with 80k had oem battery until about 14 months ago.......

Battery swap was no cost, but whew! Oil change at $94 really gets your attention! $9.15/quart for the oil.....geez!

Way to go wheelman! Glad to hear your dealer replaced your battery under warranty. I'm amazed and way to go! :happy feet:

I would still recommend a Battery Tender or Battery Tender Jr. I actually just use the Jr as I just need to keep it topped-off when my 'Stang sits for 3 or more weeks.

+1 Batt Tender, Jr

Jr has a "wall wart" with a 12ft cord. I have four of them and they are always attached to my cars, motorcycles & lawn mower that are not driven regularly. My '01 Harley Ultra batt lasted 5 1/2 yrs and the Honda Goldwing batt lasted just over 7yrs.

Walmart and others may have cheaper versions of a batt maintainer (or similar) but for my money the Batt Tender, Jr has a proven track record.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287948790&sr=8-1

+1 Batt Tender, Jr

Jr has a "wall wart" with a 12ft cord. I have four of them and they are always attached to my cars, motorcycles & lawn mower that are not driven regularly. My '01 Harley Ultra batt lasted 5 1/2 yrs and the Honda Goldwing batt lasted just over 7yrs.

Walmart and others may have cheaper versions of a batt maintainer (or similar) but for my money the Batt Tender, Jr has a proven track record.

http://www.amazon.co...87948790&sr=8-1

+1 on the B.T. Jr.

Archived