TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need Help Please

Some of you know I just purchased a 2007 Shelby GT last week with 4,000 miles on it. Bought it in Chicago and drove it home around 250 miles, ran great. Have drove it a couple more times since then. Tonight the wife and I went to a local cruise and while coming home I noticed the engine light came on. Car was running fine and ran fine the entire way home. Checked the gas cap when I got home and restarted the car and light is still on.

Any ideas or is there a way to reset something that may have triggered it. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

There are MANY things that can cause this. Go to AutoZone and and they will plug in the hand held diagnostic tool and read the codes for you at no cost. While it may or may not be the actual cause it will give you an idea of where the issue may be. Then you can go to your dealer with a little more than "my engine light is on" which you should do as soon as possible.

Good luck!

There are MANY things that can cause this. Go to AutoZone and and they will plug in the hand held diagnostic tool and read the codes for you at no cost. While it may or may not be the actual cause it will give you an idea of where the issue may be. Then you can go to your dealer with a little more than "my engine light is on" which you should do as soon as possible.

Good luck!

What Jeff said.

Cars will "throw a code" for many reasons, many of them due to very simple (and inexpensive) reasons. These days, "Check Engine" has become a euphemism for "something emissions-related"...

Jer

What Jeff said.

Cars will "throw a code" for many reasons, many of them due to very simple (and inexpensive) reasons. These days, "Check Engine" has become a euphemism for "something emissions-related"...

Jer

LOL...true that!

In my other cars both times it came on were emissions related. Funny.

LOL...true that!

In my other cars both times it came on were emissions related. Funny.

Loose screw, clogged hose, bad gas... almost always something cheap and stupid.

Jer

Just aggravates me after only 400 miles I've had it... bummer

I bet if you take it on the highway and rev the Hell out of it, you'll burn out carbon deposits and the light will turn off... LOL...

(Not real medical advice... do not mistake this for quality information)

Anyway, yes, I'm sure it'll be something trivial and simple. With only 4000 on it, I'd be willing to bet everything's fine.

Jer

Just aggravates me after only 400 miles I've had it... bummer

Congrats on your new purchase. Did you happen to put gas in it? If the gas cap is not screwed on tightly it will throw a check engine light. Or check your CAI, are all the clamps tight? These are usually the most common things.

Good luck

Careful, as you could next be seeing the dreaded "FAIL SAFE MODE" flash up. Then it will act like you only have 4 or 5 cylinders instead of 8.

I've found it best to take it straight to the dealership, especially if you're still under warranty.

And yes, I had my new 2005 GT get a CEL that took 6 weeks to cure - they ended up having to install a whole new engine! With only 1000 miles on it.

OK, took it to AutoZone today and they scanned it and it was code P0420. Not sure what all that entails but he got the light off for now and I guess I will take it to the dealer this week. The exhaust sounds awesum so I hope I don't have to change anything. Car runs like a top. Opinions appreciated.

OK, took it to AutoZone today and they scanned it and it was code P0420. Not sure what all that entails but he got the light off for now and I guess I will take it to the dealer this week. The exhaust sounds awesum so I hope I don't have to change anything. Car runs like a top. Opinions appreciated.

Take a look at this description:

P0420 Info

Gregg

07SGT0547

Marv,

congrats on the car...I would suggest you print that link above and take it with you. Also, one thing I found out the hard way....if it is Emissions related, they are required to handle it under warranty w/ no charge to the customer. They should know this as it is THEIR MANUAL. We have some "dealer types" on here so correct me if I am wrong, but once I mentioned this to my local dealer...they paid for the ECM which is considered part of the emission controls. I didn't know that either. Live and learn. Good luck and keep us posted. Craig

Some of you know I just purchased a 2007 Shelby GT last week with 4,000 miles on it. Bought it in Chicago and drove it home around 250 miles, ran great. Have drove it a couple more times since then. Tonight the wife and I went to a local cruise and while coming home I noticed the engine light came on. Car was running fine and ran fine the entire way home. Checked the gas cap when I got home and restarted the car and light is still on.

Any ideas or is there a way to reset something that may have triggered it. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

I know how you feel, I just purchased mine and got a CEL a couple days ago...took it up to Advanced to get the code read and it was an o2 sensor lean on passenger side before the cat. Had them clear it and it has not returned, but I did note it incase it comes up again, but it is frustrating to have a new toy and it start spitting out codes!

I know how you feel, I just purchased mine and got a CEL a couple days ago...took it up to Advanced to get the code read and it was an o2 sensor lean on passenger side before the cat. Had them clear it and it has not returned, but I did note it incase it comes up again, but it is frustrating to have a new toy and it start spitting out codes!

True! But i guess better then than after the warranty is up!

Took the car today for the emission test. It failed. I have to get this straightened out before the temp tags run out. My warranty is up also. I also know the previous owner did some exhaust modifications and it sounds great. I know he had the work done up east at American Racing Headers. Just not sure what was done. My buddy the tech is working on it .

Took the car today for the emission test. It failed. I have to get this straightened out before the temp tags run out. My warranty is up also. I also know the previous owner did some exhaust modifications and it sounds great. I know he had the work done up east at American Racing Headers. Just not sure what was done. My buddy the tech is working on it .

Best of luck... and if you find out you're in need of parts, being out of warranty, I'd recommend you post a "Wanted To Buy" ad in the classifieds here on the forum. God only knows how many low mile original exhaust parts are sitting in Shelby owners' garages right now... and a VAST majority of folks here will lend a hand to help out, and help get ya running again.

Jer

Best of luck... and if you find out you're in need of parts, being out of warranty, I'd recommend you post a "Wanted To Buy" ad in the classifieds here on the forum. God only knows how many low mile original exhaust parts are sitting in Shelby owners' garages right now... and a VAST majority of folks here will lend a hand to help out, and help get ya running again.

Jer

your good sir...i have a full system sitting in my attic and by full i mean from manfolds to xpipe (sold the mufflers for a pretty penny)

shelby was offering a full longtube system at the time that i just couldnt pass up :shift:

your good sir...i have a full system sitting in my attic and by full i mean from manfolds to xpipe (sold the mufflers for a pretty penny)

shelby was offering a full longtube system at the time that i just couldnt pass up :shift:

Yeah, my garage is full of brakes/mufflers/wheels/tires/suspension/stereo parts... LOL...

I'm sure that if there's a "sick" SGT somewhere, the TS members here will be supportive with whatever they can spare.

Jer

Got the car back to the Tech this morning. Everything good passed with flying colors. So good to , gonna get the plates today and everythings done. Thanks for everyones help. Also the previous owner sent me the tuner he used and I received it yesterday. Ready to roll.

Archived