TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Letter to Ford regarding “value added adjustment”

cobraracing

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 19 2007, 03:37 PM) 103437[/snapback]
68fastback, you mentioned the commodities restriction on V6/GT/GT500 Mustangs. The percentages have changed a bit throughout the model year, with early GT500 production capped at 5% of total Mustang production, and now at 10% of total Mustang production. And this amount is footnoted at DNE (do not exceed) so we have to order 9 V6 and/or GT's to get 1 GT500. In the 2005 model year, Mustang sold about 165K units I think. For 2006, Ford negotiated a bit more room from Mazda at Flat Rock and made about 190K units??? But, that's it. So, considering that early 2007 GT500's were capped at 5% and now they're at 10% it is conceivable that Ford could build 12K-15K GT500's and still keep the feds happy for CAFE, as you pointed out. That leaves the other constraints out there, though (Eaton, Tremec, etc.).

We took a zillion V6's and GT's to ensure that our GT500's were built in a timely fashion. We have over 40 Mustangs (1/2 and 1/2 V6 and GT) here today compared to most neighboring dealers having 5-10 at any given time, but it was worth it to expedite our GT500 customers' orders for them (and us, of course).

And, worth noting, fair/upfront pricing at the dealership level is paramount to keep customers happy long term. Our first GT500 customer reinforced our decision to keep our ADM's reasonable by purchasing a new F-150 over the weekend from us (for $58 over invoice, FYI, which is thousands below MSRP). He still loves his GT500 (and his pair of Mach 1's, pair of GT's, etc.) and loved his many purchases with us over the years.

Thanks, 5.0B ... great info... if the other constraints are gone (which they may not be) it would make you wonder, then, if mustang is covering a broader CAFE issue of some sort for Ford because making more '500s would sure seem to make sense.

Our local dealer clearly has learned from the same Book of Integrity that you have...and that's why customers :wub: them and you. I suspect your dealership has been around for a long time too. Ours opened in the '40s and, just recently, it's second-generation of family management turned the reins over to the third gen -- good folks.

-Dan

I suspect your dealership has been around for a long time too. Ours opened in the '40s and, just recently, it's second-generation of family management turned the reins over to the third gen -- good folks.

-Dan

Yep, the family I work for started selling new Fords in 1922, and the location I'm at was opened in 1958. Still a small town, family run business. The owner is there almost every weekday and talks with a lot of employees and customers as he walks around the showroom. Real down to Earth people. Heck, they even drive Fords - no exotic or luxury cars!

Archived