TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Letter to Ford regarding “value added adjustment”

cobraracing

Here is a letter I wrote to Ford and their response

I have been trying to purchase a 2007 Mustang Shelby from the local dealers as well as across Canada and have met much resistance from them when offering to purchase it at MSRP. The dealers want from $15,000 - $30,000 over what Ford has suggested.

I have been awaiting the car for over 2 years and am now dismayed over the prospect of paying this “value added adjustment”

It seems that it is just that a “suggested price” due to the greed a lot of dealers have shown.

I have mostly owned Fords throughout my life and have owned over 20 Mustangs but have been turned off by the devil-may-care attitude towards their customers.

Most high performance specialty buyers wont own just one vehicle and Ford should be concentrating on not only customer retention but attracting off-brand purchasers to buy domestic and specifically Ford.

Is there a way for Ford to supply the car at the price they suggest?

I am ready to purchase and will await your response

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre. We received your message sent on 2/5/2007 regarding the dealership's pricing for the 2007 SVT Mustang Shelby GT 500.

We thank you for taking the time to let us know about your frustration with your dealership increasing the price for the 2007 SVT Mustang Shelby GT 500. Feedback such as yours allows us to examine our practices and policies to ensure that we meet or exceed the expectations of our customers. We regret that we have not been able to satisfy you on this occasion, but your concerns have been documented for future reference.

Ford of Canada is only able to provide the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for a new Ford or Lincoln Mercury vehicle.

Please note that our dealerships are independently owned and operated and therefore may set their own pricing strategies. We regret to inform you that we are unable to intervene in pricing issues since the dealerships are governed by Franchising and Contractual Laws.

we apologize for any frustration you may have experienced as a result of this situation.

Thank you for expressing interest in our vehicles. We wish you many years of safe and enjoyable motoring.

If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them.

Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada.

Sincerely,

Ford of Canada

Customer Relationship Centre

Looks like some fancy dancing to me....... :banana piano: :happy feet:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the same response from Ford when I voiced my dismay at the ADM's and I think it's sad that they are not willing to do anything about it.

I would think that in any serious attempt to save their brand from bankruptcy and eventual closure of all their plants that they would surely renegotiate their contracts with the dealers and do a retail price re-structuring fix so they don't lose valuable customers to the competition through such a rediculous thing as dealer greed.

Because after all, if Ford goes under so will many of the Ford dealers.... are they willing to gamble on Ford pulling it off without their assistance? Seems to be the case since they have held tightly to their ADM's and are refusing to budge on the GT500.

I think it's a shame that a corperate giant like Ford doesn't open their eyes and look into every aspect of customer satisfaction and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Ford's response is unacceptable and seems to imply that you are only one of a few customer's who have questioned your brand loyalty and considered going elsewhere for your next vehicle due to the high ADM's demanded by their dealers.

If Ford's new CEO is going to really work some magic here, he's going to eventually have to address this "contract" issue with their dealers and see to it that all of the true blue loyal, as well as the future Ford customer's don't get a bad taste in their mouths when shopping for their vehicle of choice.

I think it is a cop out and a shameful embarassment in the face of the Ford Motor Co.

to allow this kind of thing to continue unabated for so long.

PULL YOUR OLD CORPERATE HEADS OUT OF YOUR OLD CORPERATE ASSES AND FIX THE DISGRACEFUL PRICE GOUGING THAT IS GOING ON IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOOUT SAVING YOUR BRAND AND YOUR CAREERS OR YOU WILL CONTINUE TO LOSE MORE AND MORE VALUABLE CUSTOMERS FOREVER!

I totally agree! Ford should make dealers sell all vehicles at MSRP - no ADM's and certainly no discounts below MSRP either! Go to a one price philosophy, where you win customers with great products and service - not pricing (ADM's, or discounts for that matter).

I can tell you that as a dealer, I would totally favor a mandate that we sell everything at MSRP. Heck, we'd make a lot more money that way. Sure, we wouldn't make as much on a handful of GT500's, but we'd rake it in on the hundreds of mainstream vehicles we sell each year like Focus, Taurus, F-150's, Explorers, Fusions, Five Hundreds, Freestyles, Expeditions, Super Duties, Rangers, Edges, Econolines, Sport Tracs, etc. that customers expect to pay invoice or less on currently. So again, make 'em all MSRP!

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 17 2007, 05:36 PM) 102702[/snapback]
I totally agree! Ford should make dealers sell all vehicles at MSRP - no ADM's and certainly no discounts below MSRP either! Go to a one price philosophy, where you win customers with great products and service - not pricing (ADM's, or discounts for that matter).

I can tell you that as a dealer, I would totally favor a mandate that we sell everything at MSRP. Heck, we'd make a lot more money that way. Sure, we wouldn't make as much on a handful of GT500's, but we'd rake it in on the hundreds of mainstream vehicles we sell each year like Focus, Taurus, F-150's, Explorers, Fusions, Five Hundreds, Freestyles, Expeditions, Super Duties, Rangers, Edges, Econolines, Sport Tracs, etc. that customers expect to pay invoice or less on currently. So again, make 'em all MSRP!

Does that mean I would not have gotten that $14,000 discount on my new Mark LT last month? :cry:

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 17 2007, 04:36 PM) 102702[/snapback]

Im with you on this one!! Lets have Ford mandate MSRP pricing on everything including GT500's!! Somehow I dont see the ADM bashers going along with that one.

Does that mean I would not have gotten that $14,000 discount on my new Mark LT last month? :cry:

Exactly! Everybody loves to cry foul play when a dealer can get an ADM on a hot seller, but I don't hear consumers complaining when they can get a vehicle for $14K below MSRP like your Mark LT, or the routine $5K - $10K off MSRP that we sell the mainstream stuff for everyday. The beauty of our market driven economy is that supply and demand always balance out pricing in the long run so that goods (cars, TV's, houses, etc.) are sold for their "real" worth, which may or may not be that arbitrary amount called "MSRP."

well.... at least this is a fresh topic! :doh:

FiveOhB... I like you. if you didn't live so damn far away, I'd buy my cars from you!

Yeah, I know, we're beating a dead horse, but it always amazes me that some people want only what's in their best interest, even if it means being a bit hypocritical. If someone really believes that Ford should make dealers charge MSRP for a GT500, then they should also embrace paying MSRP for everything else. Instead, consumers want to gouge the dealers down to invoice or lower on their new SUV's and trucks, but they don't want to be gouged in return on a hot product like a Shelby.

cobraracing, I do really feel bad about the ADM's on GT500's. Heck, if it weren't for the dang ADM's and limited supply, I'd have bought a GT500 by now! Instead, those with the means and connections have been able to buy them leaving me with the option of waiting forever, or buying a different Mustang model (which I ended up doing). Ford really is constrained legally by the franchise laws with their dealer body. It may not be the perfect system, but it is the same system other manufacturers - not just Ford! - use as well.

This topic will continue to pop up from time to time from here to eternity. I've really got to refrain from chiming in on it each and everytime I read it anew again.

And, BoneDoc, I like you too. I like everyone here. You guys have kept me very informed over the last year and a half, and hopefully, I've had some insights to offer in return once in awhile.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 17 2007, 05:36 PM) 102702[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I totally agree! Ford should make dealers sell all vehicles at MSRP - no ADM's and certainly no discounts below MSRP either! Go to a one price philosophy, where you win customers with great products and service - not pricing (ADM's, or discounts for that matter).

No that just means that some of the high $ stuff that was overpriced to begin with (so that they could offer huge rebates if they needed to in the future) could be assigned a more reasonable MSRP whereby they would still make a fair profit and make the consumers happy at the same time.

Everyone knows that some of the Lincolns and the exclusive/high dollar stuff is overpriced from the factory.

I bought a used 03 Ford Excursion 4x4 6.0 diesel XLT model fully loaded with leather interior for 35,000 in 04. The previous owner paid 53,000 for it because she special ordered it and she only put 10,000 miles on it. That vehicle should have been (or could have been) priced a little closer to 43,000 new and everyone could still have made their money on it.

This way new owners might not take such a huge beating on their new vehicle's value after driving it off the lot.

That's just an example to ponder on during this (soon to be) long thread.

We have a Ford dealer here in Hawaii that sells EVERY NEW VEHICLE that they have at MSRP or less and not a penny more! Even with the huge shipping costs to get the vehicle here they never charge more than MSRP.

If they can do it, all Ford dealers can do it and still survive.

Yes I have bought new vehicles from them at MSRP or less and it's no not b.s. and no they don't have any GT500's (sorry).

Adm's will not make or break the dealer. If you really look at the big picture 30k worth of ADM on two GT500's is not much in relation to the big picture. My beef on the ADM's is that I will buy 1-2 Ford vans per year and if a dealer had given me MSRP, it would have definitely built loyalty with me. As it stands, i'll buy from whoever pimps the lowest. The ADM's just alienate a lot of customers. I understand five oh's point but the dealers have lead us to believe and proven it time and again that if you pay full MSRP you are probably naive. A dealer in our area tried the "no haggling" "one price" idea, but it didn't work. Is it right that a naive old lady pays sticker and a savvy business man comes in and get $5k off?

I am sure by now Ford has figured out they have made a huge mistake on the GT500. They should of priced the car for 10K to 15K more. They would have sold every car and made alot more money. Because many have been sold for that with the ADM, it must be the true market value. If they moved slow at the higher price, the dealers could have reduced them like they do all other cars.

Here is a letter I wrote to Ford and their response

I have been trying to purchase a 2007 Mustang Shelby from the local dealers as well as across Canada and have met much resistance from them when offering to purchase it at MSRP. The dealers want from $15,000 - $30,000 over what Ford has suggested.

I have been awaiting the car for over 2 years and am now dismayed over the prospect of paying this “value added adjustment”

It seems that it is just that a “suggested price” due to the greed a lot of dealers have shown.

I have mostly owned Fords throughout my life and have owned over 20 Mustangs but have been turned off by the devil-may-care attitude towards their customers.

I know there are a few dealers across the country who sold the cars at MSRP. Two dealers in Vancouver for sure and IIRC someone had mentioned a dealer in Ontario - there are probably others as well. It is unfortunate that if you have been loyal to your local dealer with 20 mustangs over the years that they didn't cut you some slack. I don't blame the motor company - it is your dealer that should see the bigger picture. Those customers that have been loyal over the years should be given some special considerations in my book and the dealer should realize that those loyal customers will continue to buy their kids vehicles and refer customers to the store.

No that just means that some of the high $ stuff that was overpriced to begin with (so that they could offer huge rebates if they needed to in the future) could be assigned a more reasonable MSRP whereby they would still make a fair profit and make the consumers happy at the same time.

Everyone knows that some of the Lincolns and the exclusive/high dollar stuff is overpriced from the factory.

Yeah, let's ponder that. Overpriced? Says who? You just prove the point - all the mainstream stuff is "overpriced" because a dealer can be mooched down to nothing, yet somehow buyers have this entitlement mentality when it comes to something they really want. They're ok with an F150's market value being thousands less than MSRP, but get all bent out of shape when the market value on the GT500 is above MSRP. Self serving logic at its finest.

Believe me, the last thing anyone wants is the big companies telling local dealers what they can and can't sell you their product for (be it cars, TV's, furniture, etc). If Ford said everything must be sold at MSRP not one penny above or below, buyer would be whining about not being able to buy the $31k F150 for $21K (admit it, if the MSRP was $21k everyone would be pissing about not being able to buy it for $15k). They'd be spouting their expert opinion about how Ford's management was all screwed up by not letting their dealers set pricing according to what they can get. You want to see the auto industry tank even faster? Use that pricing strategy. Here's the price, take it or leave it - guess what, most would leave it, and the industry would go belly up tomorrow. What's laughable and really illustrates people's market and economic ignorance is when they base their entire economic theory and "EXPERT" opinion on a product that accounts for 0.09% of total US vehicle sales. Analysis of this quality isn't going to win anyone any prizes in economics. Sure, let's turn an entire industry on its head because Joe wants a GT500 for MSRP.

NEWS FLASH: the reason you can't get one for MSRP is because you're standing in line with thousands of others who are perfectly willing to pay more than MSRP. If no one was willing to pay the ADM, then guess what? There wouldn't be an ADM!!

GIVE ME A BREAK!!

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 17 2007, 07:36 PM) 102702[/snapback]

You're right it worked for Saturn. It can't be just a one way street...I agree.

I agree with you on the fact that the ADMs can be frustrating and at times a bit rediculous, for i have seen ADMs set at the price of the car (90 grand for a gt500). However, to ask Ford to force an independantly owned dealership to sell a car at a price Ford sets goes completely against the idea of this country's economy. I dont wanna sound rude but if you dont want to pay over MSRP for the car then that means it isnt worth over MSRP to you, and realisticly what u decide to pay for a car is really based on what you think its worth to you (in other words dont get it). Now i know that might sound harsh and rude, and again i dont mean it to be, but for Ford to be able to set a mandated price for every car would mean they would have to own all the dealerships that bare fords name and thats just not an ecenomically feasible option. This country was built on many premises, and one of them is people offering services or goods at whatever price they deem reasonable in order to make as much profit as possible. Unfortunatley for you, if you dont wish to pay that much for the car, then it most likely isnt worth that much to you despite how much you may think you want the car. Again, i dont mean to be rude or offend anyone in anyway, just throwing out my 2/100'ths.

Yeah, let's ponder that. Overpriced? Says who? You just prove the point - all the mainstream stuff is "overpriced" because a dealer can be mooched down to nothing, yet somehow buyers have this entitlement mentality when it comes to something they really want. They're ok with an F150's market value being thousands less than MSRP, but get all bent out of shape when the market value on the GT500 is above MSRP. Self serving logic at its finest.

Believe me, the last thing anyone wants is the big companies telling local dealers what they can and can't sell you their product for (be it cars, TV's, furniture, etc). If Ford said everything must be sold at MSRP not one penny above or below, buyer would be whining about not being able to buy the $31k F150 for $21K (admit it, if the MSRP was $21k everyone would be pissing about not being able to buy it for $15k). They'd be spouting their expert opinion about how Ford's management was all screwed up by not letting their dealers set pricing according to what they can get. You want to see the auto industry tank even faster? Use that pricing strategy. Here's the price, take it or leave it - guess what, most would leave it, and the industry would go belly up tomorrow. What's laughable and really illustrates people's market and economic ignorance is when they base their entire economic theory and "EXPERT" opinion on a product that accounts for 0.09% of total US vehicle sales. Analysis of this quality isn't going to win anyone any prizes in economics. Sure, let's turn an entire industry on its head because Joe wants a GT500 for MSRP.

NEWS FLASH: the reason you can't get one for MSRP is because you're standing in line with thousands of others who are perfectly willing to pay more than MSRP. If no one was willing to pay the ADM, then guess what? There wouldn't be an ADM!!

GIVE ME A BREAK!!

Well I for one have a GT500 and I had been waiting to buy one for several years (since I first learned of the possibility that Ford would produce them for the buying public).

I have also NEVER paid over MSRP for any of the 10 or so new vehicles that I have bought and owned in my lifetime and fully believed Ford when they said that I could get one for about 42-45,000 dollars so that is what I was planning to spend on the car.

Long story short I found one and bought one at nearly $60,000 only because I had to have one and I felt that it might be now or never for me so I jumped. I am not happy about having to pay the ADM am but I am not bitching about it either because I was not forced into buying it at that price.

I could have waited like so many others and hoped for a day when the market was flooded and you could find one easily for MSRP or close but that is not a guarantee and I still don't see the prices dropping yet.

I would have been much happier though if I could have found one at the price that Ford told us the cars would be selling for but I am by no means regreting buying the car even at that price.

I do feel for all of the people who had the carpet pulled out from under them and hate all the dirty deeds done by the dirty dealers once they found out that they could get more than the promised price for the cars that they were alloted.... so they screwed their waiting customers who already had given down payments for their cars and sold out to greed and screwed a lot of folks in the process (for a few dollars more).

Is the car worth that much money? No not in my opinion but what other choices do we have right now... none at this time in my book since this is not 1969 or 1970 and muscle cars are not a dime a dozen now.

I can see adding a few thousand but $15,000 - $30,000 is just unethical (oh yea, I forgot that MOST dealers don't have any ethics).

I for one would not have even tried to jew the dealer down on price (even if they had 20 of them) if the car was selling at or near MSRP. I undertstand supply and demand but I am not rich and supply and demand caters to the rich when supply is low and the demand is high.

Ford should have seen to it that more of these cars were available so that everyone who wants one could have one and so that we could all be happy and have better things to bitch about like why the hell aren't the tire and wheel companies able to give us some more traction for our cars.

I do feel for all of the people who had the carpet pulled out from under them and hate all the dirty deeds done by the dirty dealers once they found out that they could get more than the promised price for the cars that they were alloted.... so they screwed their waiting customers who already had given down payments for their cars and sold out to greed and screwed a lot of folks in the process (for a few dollars more).

I keep reminding everyone, that every car manufacturer(except maybe Hundyai, however the hell you spell it) has had a hot product and ADM's associated with it. Viper's Corvettes NSX's and this isn't about to change. There are a number of dealers who have treated their long time customers with MSRP's because they value their long term relationships. And there are others that don't honor anything.

I accept that ADM's are a reality, but changing a deal on a car after you have a contract, is dishonest. I read numerous stories of people getting their deal yanked and many claimed to be pursuing breach of contract in court. I am curious how many people succeeded?

ADM is all around us. A good example is if you ever went to a sporting event and paid $6 for a beer or $3.50 for a soda. I'm sure you can buy a six pack for what it just cost to buy one beer. A twelve pack of soda for $3.50 or less. Is this not "supply and demand" at its smallest form? But we each still have a choice. I have served in the Army for 21 years now and I made the choice to pay the ADM because its been a dream to own this car since its concept. I've been stationed all over the world and I thank every service man now and before me who has guarantee my right of chioce. We live in a country of free enterprise were everyone has a right to choose. I didn't like paying the ADM but atleast I live in a country that guarantee my right of chioce. Just my opinion

ADM is all around us. A good example is if you ever went to a sporting event and paid $6 for a beer or $3.50 for a soda. I'm sure you can buy a six pack for what it just cost to buy one beer. A twelve pack of soda for $3.50 or less. Is this not "supply and demand" at its smallest form? But we each still have a choice. I have served in the Army for 21 years now and I made the choice to pay the ADM because its been a dream to own this car since its concept. I've been stationed all over the world and I thank every service man now and before me who has guarantee my right of chioce. We live in a country of free enterprise were everyone has a right to choose. I didn't like paying the ADM but atleast I live in a country that guarantee my right of chioce. Just my opinion

Thanks for being a lifer, it is a honorable profession and unappreciated at times. I did my duty in the low tech Army years ago. But you are absolutely right it is a supply and demand thing. It would be a real lousy place to live if the government fixed all prices, once they start that, they "fix" everything else including you if they choose. Thanks again for your service to this country.

Do you really think any more of us would own a GT500 if Ford did enforce an ALL MSRP policy?

Nope, then it would have become some sort of lottery or politicol system to determine who got the cars. Then the cars would have sold for the same market value in the aftermarket.

The only net result would have been even more confusion and non Ford dealers taking the ADM.

This is a simple case of small supply and a large demand. Let the market determine who gets the cars based on who wants them the most. If they keep building them at the current rate, eventually most everyone that wants one will get one. Those that wanted them sooner will have paid for the privledge.

If you want it bad enought, go buy it, they are certianly out there for sale, RIGHT NOW. If you dont want it that bad, quit griping and wait for your chance to buy it for less later.

I do not regret for an instant paying the ADM. Wish I did not have to. Wish the car was 20k too. Or better yet FREE. Yeah right. It cost what it cost and I love the car and have been enjoying it for several months and will continue to do so while others dont because it was worth more to me than it was to them. You can have one too. If you want it bad enough.

Thanks for being a lifer, it is a honorable profession and unappreciated at times. I did my duty in the low tech Army years ago. But you are absolutely right it is a supply and demand thing. It would be a real lousy place to live if the government fixed all prices, once they start that, they "fix" everything else including you if they choose. Thanks again for your service to this country.

carnut,

No matter where or how long you served, Its all appreciated brother! I was stationed not to far from you at Yuma Proving Grounds from 1988 to 1989. We would fly our Huey to Scottsdale for a training /lunch go out and punch holes in the sky flight. The one year I spent in Arizona was a blast. Arizona is one of the places I have in mine to retire at. Things don't rust and its warm!

Ken

Well I for one have a GT500 and I had been waiting to buy one for several years (since I first learned of the possibility that Ford would produce them for the buying public).

I have also NEVER paid over MSRP for any of the 10 or so new vehicles that I have bought and owned in my lifetime and fully believed Ford when they said that I could get one for about 42-45,000 dollars so that is what I was planning to spend on the car.

Long story short I found one and bought one at nearly $60,000 only because I had to have one and I felt that it might be now or never for me so I jumped. I am not happy about having to pay the ADM am but I am not bitching about it either because I was not forced into buying it at that price.

I could have waited like so many others and hoped for a day when the market was flooded and you could find one easily for MSRP or close but that is not a guarantee and I still don't see the prices dropping yet.

I would have been much happier though if I could have found one at the price that Ford told us the cars would be selling for but I am by no means regreting buying the car even at that price.

Is the car worth that much money? No not in my opinion but what other choices do we have right now... none at this time in my book since this is not 1969 or 1970 and muscle cars are not a dime a dozen now.

I can see adding a few thousand but $15,000 - $30,000 is just unethical (oh yea, I forgot that MOST dealers don't have any ethics).

I for one would not have even tried to jew the dealer down on price (even if they had 20 of them) if the car was selling at or near MSRP. I undertstand supply and demand but I am not rich and supply and demand caters to the rich when supply is low and the demand is high.

Ford should have seen to it that more of these cars were available so that everyone who wants one could have one and so that we could all be happy and have better things to bitch about like why the hell aren't the tire and wheel companies able to give us some more traction for our cars.

I for one would not have even tried to jew the dealer down on price (even if they had 20 of them) if the car was selling at or near MSRP.

Ouch!! I thought you had a good reply going until I came across this line....WTF is up with that??? Do you have any idea how offensive that is? Maybe you should!!

Well the way I see this example is that if they wont let you bring in your own coolers and beverages then they are strong arming you for the 6.00 beer and I call this legalized extortion at it's finest!

Archived