TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A letter to GT350 owners

Well Shelby family, it has been six months since I arrived in my new role as President of Shelby American, my previous 10 years as President of Carroll Shelby Licensing certainly allowed me to get up to speed very quickly and hit the floor running.

Over my ten plus years in the Shelby World I have witnessed many exciting milestones along the way, the Series 1 supercar, the 40th Anniversary of Cobra, Carroll’s 85th birthday, the Shelby/Hertz program, Shelby GT, Shelby Terlingua, Shelby GT500 KR and Supersnake, and now the rebirth of the Shelby GT350.

New car program development doesn’t happen without its bumps in the road, and many of you can relate to some of these bumps with the Shelby GT350. When I arrived I saw firsthand the excitement and anticipation the Shelby American team had to build and deliver the first of the Shelby GT350’s, however that time was not yet to be. With the 4-6 month production hold on the required base car, and the delays in the supercharger certification from our supplier, I watched six months pass us by before my eyes without one GT350 being delivered. As a result customer delivery dates were pushed back accordingly and customers started voicing their doubts and concerns.

Receiving your new Shelby GT350 reminds me much of the anticipation we all experienced every Christmas Day, when can I open my present, get my hands on it and begin having fun. The thought of Christmas being pushed back days much less months would have been extremely disappointing and cause us great pain.

However, I am pleased to report that we have over 150 white 2011 Ford GT 5.0’s on the ground, we have a supercharger that is fully certified, and as of Friday, October 8th, the first Shelby GT350 shipped for delivery, with many more to follow. With a goal of approximately 5 to 7 GT350’s a week along with GT500 Supersnakes, GT/SC’s, Terlingua’s, etc. getting you your new Shelby GT350 is job one.

IMG_4924.jpg

Three of the first GT350’s being quality inspected by the Shelby American Management Team

We still have supplier challenges, in this economy suppliers have cut back their on hand inventory levels, so managing the supply chain becomes more critical than ever before. Shelby American has the best and the brightest talent in this industry, with the ability to adapt and adjust on the fly. I am proud to be a part of this great team… your team making history once again by bringing you new and exciting Shelby products.

IMG_4857a.JPG

The First GT350 #350 being loaded for a trip to Florida and it’s very excited new owner.

I apologize for the delays with the Shelby GT350, and ask that you stay with us, and believe in us, you will not be disappointed, Shelby American is alive and well, and the Shelby GT350 will live up to everything you imagined… and some, just take a look. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1009_2011_mustang_shelby_gt350_prototype_test/index.html

All The Best

John Luft, President-Shelby American

IMG_4924.jpg

IMG_4857a.JPG

Archived