TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exhaust- Roush Extreme

SteelTownStang

Roush Extreme Performance Off-Road Exhaust Kit #403936

The Disclaimer States, “ ...be aware that this off-road exhaust kit may exceed the sound level ordinances in many communities...”

Well, it’s loud... and it’s deep... and it’s mean, but I’m not too concerned about violating any local ordinances. I can say with certainly that this is the best overall sounding exhaust system (axle or cat-back) available for the S197 model. I’ve contemplated purchasing this kit since January. I could have saved a lot of time, money, and aggravation if I had acted sooner.

I’ve personally own, installed, and experienced the following exhausts on the S197:

2007 Mustang GT-

Magnaflow #48019

Flowmasters #17410 (X2)

SLP Loundmouth #M31014

FRPP/Borla Stingers #M-5230-5GT

2008 GT500-

FRPP/Borla #M-5230-SGT

Flowmaster #817410

Mac Boom Tubes #BT2005

All of the aforementioned exhausts sounded good, but in comparisons the Roush set-up wins hands down in acoustics and quality.

Based on my experience, and due to the design of the exhaust system on the S197 (mufflers located past the axle), the louder the exhaust- the greater the drone/resonation. It’s a sacrifice that I wasn’t willing to compromise.

The Roush system is unique in that the resonators (pseudo mufflers) are located before the axle, thus providing volume while minimizing resonation. This set-up is significantly louder than OEM, yet the drone level is equivalent...

I’ve heard the Corsas and the KRs. I agree with the masses, the Corsas definitely do not drone, however, many say that the KRs don’t either, but I digress. While the KR s have negligible drone, I’d say it compares to the level of the Roush system, however, the Roush exhaust has twice the volume.

Installation: Unless you have access to “lift”, installation will be a PIA. Removing the OEM mid-pipes was easy. While on floor ramps I lifted the body to create more space to maneuver between the body and the axle. Conversely, installing the Roush mid-pipes was difficult. The Roush system seems to be made of thicker grade steel and the mandrel-bends play havoc in getting them positioned over the axle. I actually had to temporarily removal the springs on the passenger side (remove the sway bar, shocks, and drop the axle) to facilitate installation. There may be other techniques, but this method worked best in my application.

Conclusion: The Roush system is not a loud obnoxious exhaust. It generates a “tuned” high volume aggressive tone with minimal drone. While no axle/cat-back system yields measurable performance gains, this system feels like the car gained a few hp/tq. It definitely sounds faster! My pursuit to find the perfect sounding exhaust has ended.

post-25950-067779700 1286735544_thumb.jpg

post-25950-095944100 1286735560_thumb.jpg

post-25950-035777900 1286735567_thumb.jpg

post-25950-018743500 1286735580_thumb.jpg

post-25950-026174600 1286735595_thumb.jpg

post-25950-097411200 1286735606_thumb.jpg

post-25950-067779700 1286735544_thumb.jpg

post-25950-095944100 1286735560_thumb.jpg

post-25950-035777900 1286735567_thumb.jpg

post-25950-018743500 1286735580_thumb.jpg

post-25950-026174600 1286735595_thumb.jpg

post-25950-097411200 1286735606_thumb.jpg

i wanna hear this system

2sharpie has posted a couple sound clips: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47734-roush-or-cat-back-on-a-2010-gt500/page__p__793178__hl__roush__fromsearch__1#entry793178 . There are others clips on youtube as well, but are not a good representation of how the exhaust actually sounds in person.

I almost went that route as well. I ended up going 3 inch dynomax and love the sound. I have heard the roush 427 with this exhaust and it was music to my ears. Glad you finally found the right exhaust sound for you. Now go put some miles on that beast and scare some niebohrhood kids.

I almost went that route as well. I ended up going 3 inch dynomax and love the sound. I have heard the roush 427 with this exhaust and it was music to my ears. Glad you finally found the right exhaust sound for you. Now go put some miles on that beast and scare some niebohrhood kids.

I have never heard the Dynomax in person, but have read good reviews...

what is the best price for this kit?

That sucks if you have to go through all that to install, my guess is you would not had to if you had a lift.

Does it pop on decel, my SLP muffler deletes sound great except for the popping on the decel

Good price: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/403936/200509_Mustang_GTGT500_Roush_Extreme_CatBack_Exhaust_Kit__Free_Shipping.html.

... yeah, with a lift it would have been very easy. I'd say that it's more of a burble than a pop on the decel...

• 1 month later...

Good price: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/403936/200509_Mustang_GTGT500_Roush_Extreme_CatBack_Exhaust_Kit__Free_Shipping.html.

... yeah, with a lift it would have been very easy. I'd say that it's more of a burble than a pop on the decel...

Yes I've installed a Extreme system (on a buddy's TrakPak) and using a lift made it a no brainer, I also agree on a burble on the decel. Also another plug to the great service that Bill and the boy's at Stage3 provide.

A retune/reflash is NOT necessary

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, after reading all the rave reviews, I pulled the trigger and purchased and installed the Roush Extreme exhaust system this weekend. First impressions, wow! What a difference. Keep in mind that I was coming from a full 3" Bassani system with their x-pipe and my stock cats. My system was pretty darn good, but the drone was just brutal. The Bassani was lower pitched, but the growl really became less noticeable after accelerating past 2,000 rpm. The Roush system just seems to intensify. The quality is great and the 2.5" system fits so much better with my Griggs suspension and torque arm. Had this product been available years ago when I bought my Bassani system, I would have chosen it hands down. The lack of drone and the ability to listen to my Shaker 1000 again on the freeway is so nice! It might be a little too loud for my neighbors at start up, but when just taking it easy, and cruising slowly, it is no problem at all. I live in Lafayette, CA and the cops here are always just looking for a reason to pull people over. I drove past three this last weekend and not one gave me so much as a second glance. So i guess it's not too loud for them. If you are on the fence about buying this, I say go for it. It really is awesome. John Griggs installed it for me and said he had never heard anything like it on an S197 and he has heard a lot of them. He did not like the boat sound of it at start up and idle, but otherwise really liked it. Said the install was a cinch and that it fit my car perfectly. He called me today and again said the more he thought back about it the more he really like the sound of my car. Anyway, just thought I would put in my two cents. I also had the MGW shifter installed. Love it, but it is going to take some getting used to. I will try to post some sound clips of the car if I can get good ones this coming weekend.

Jim

Well, after reading all the rave reviews, I pulled the trigger and purchased and installed the Roush Extreme exhaust system this weekend. First impressions, wow! What a difference. Keep in mind that I was coming from a full 3" Bassani system with their x-pipe and my stock cats. My system was pretty darn good, but the drone was just brutal. The Bassani was lower pitched, but the growl really became less noticeable after accelerating past 2,000 rpm. The Roush system just seems to intensify. The quality is great and the 2.5" system fits so much better with my Griggs suspension and torque arm. Had this product been available years ago when I bought my Bassani system, I would have chosen it hands down. The lack of drone and the ability to listen to my Shaker 1000 again on the freeway is so nice! It might be a little too loud for my neighbors at start up, but when just taking it easy, and cruising slowly, it is no problem at all. I live in Lafayette, CA and the cops here are always just looking for a reason to pull people over. I drove past three this last weekend and not one gave me so much as a second glance. So i guess it's not too loud for them. If you are on the fence about buying this, I say go for it. It really is awesome. John Griggs installed it for me and said he had never heard anything like it on an S197 and he has heard a lot of them. He did not like the boat sound of it at start up and idle, but otherwise really liked it. Said the install was a cinch and that it fit my car perfectly. He called me today and again said the more he thought back about it the more he really like the sound of my car. Anyway, just thought I would put in my two cents. I also had the MGW shifter installed. Love it, but it is going to take some getting used to. I will try to post some sound clips of the car if I can get good ones this coming weekend.

Jim

Glad that you're happy Jim. I actually love the start up/idle sound and would never describe it as sounding like a "boat". The burble on deceleration is my favorite... and no drone! How would you compare it to your previous set-up with regards to volume?

Glad that you're happy Jim. I actually love the start up/idle sound and would never describe it as sounding like a "boat". The burble on deceleration is my favorite... and no drone! How would you compare it to your previous set-up with regards to volume?

The volume is pretty comparable, just totally different. It's kinda crazy but in first gear the Roush exhaust is louder when gettin on it, but not as much in 2nd gear. Overall, I think the Roush is probably a bit louder. I feel like it is more of an old school exhaust sound where as the Bassani was just kind muffled loud with no real pop or defining sound. It wasn't raspy nor is the Roush, but the Roush has more pop to it if that makes sense. I've noticed more people turning around and looking at my car when I'm coming at them now whereas before they kinda looked on as I drove off. Either way, it is totally bad ass in my opinion and almost exactly what I was looking for. To be able to run the stock cats and have it sound this good is the best of both worlds. I have heard a lot of high flow cat systems and they are loud and sound great, but this is better and almost as loud. I didn't want obnoxious, but I also wanted something that sounded muscular. This is definitely it. I'm almost done modding my car, but now I need new wheels. Something about this exhaust with the stock wheels really doesn't make sense on this car. It sounds tough, but looks totally stock aside from the ride height. Thanks again for starting this thread and your insight. It is what sold me on this system and I couldn't be happier. I am now satisfied after three years of searching for the right exhaust that will pass the sniff test smogs in CA and this is it. The best part of it all is that I bought it off of Amazon for $475 shipped!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to let you guys know....I Too Pulled The Trigger on the Roush Extreme AND the H-pipe from Powerhouse.....Now to find a local installer....which is a mission around here to do cause the want an arm and a leg to install....Then if i like how it sounds I will put my KR mufflers up for sale.....Also I'm looking to for a nice drop on the car.... Eibachs ? or what ?

I installed the PHRP H-Pipe on my Roush Extreme Exhaust this week and it sounds totally insane. I didn't think my Roush exhaust could sound any better, but in fact it did. Sounds more muscular. You are going to love it!

Just wanted to let you guys know....I Too Pulled The Trigger on the Roush Extreme AND the H-pipe from Powerhouse.....Now to find a local installer....which is a mission around here to do cause the want an arm and a leg to install....Then if i like how it sounds I will put my KR mufflers up for sale.....Also I'm looking to for a nice drop on the car.... Eibachs ? or what ?

Good choice. You will not be disappointed. Springs? I went w/FRPP... perfect drop and stances IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I just ordered the Roush axle back kit for my 2012 GT500. I am hearing that it sounds as good as the full extreme kit (say its from the extreme kit) even without having the resonators in front of axle.

I am hoping it will sound like this if not even better with the H pipe -

Archived