TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gears while it is at shop?

I am really thinking of putting the 4.10 gears on my ride while they have it down putting the SC on. Now are the 4.10s too much with the SC? I done a search and it seemed everyone was happy with the 4.10s. I have a few questions though.

1. I have sent my ECU to roush for the tune. If I add the 4.10s will I have to send it right back?

2. Where is the best place to purchase the gears? I want the kit to get everything I need.

3. How can I recalibrate my speedo? Can I just take it to Ford for this or is there a better way?

I may wait on the gears and take it to a different shop for the gears because this one is a little slow but I think I am going with the 4.10s though.

I am really thinking of putting the 4.10 gears on my ride while they have it down putting the SC on. Now are the 4.10s too much with the SC? I done a search and it seemed everyone was happy with the 4.10s. I have a few questions though.

1. I have sent my ECU to roush for the tune. If I add the 4.10s will I have to send it right back?

2. Where is the best place to purchase the gears? I want the kit to get everything I need.

3. How can I recalibrate my speedo? Can I just take it to Ford for this or is there a better way?

I may wait on the gears and take it to a different shop for the gears because this one is a little slow but I think I am going with the 4.10s though.

It's a split decision.

Lots of people like the 4:10 setup, and the argument is usually that 3:73s aren't enough of a difference from the 3:55. But a friend of mine (owner of Realspeed in NY and ex-Steeda engineer), Dan Carlson, said "My attitude is that no matter HOW close it is, the right ratio is the right ratio". In a naturally aspirated car, 4:10 is a no-brainer. But if you have a lot of torque down low (as in "supercharged"), 4:10 gearing may feel too short. You'll certainly be shifting more often in city driving with 4:10 gears, 1st gear runs out soon!

Your tune will reflect your gearing, and speedo calibration is part of the tune.

As for buying, I'd recommend the Ford Racing kits, and I have good luck with Summit or Jegs.

Jer

It's a split decision.

Lots of people like the 4:10 setup, and the argument is usually that 3:73s aren't enough of a difference from the 3:55. But a friend of mine (owner of Realspeed in NY and ex-Steeda engineer), Dan Carlson, said "My attitude is that no matter HOW close it is, the right ratio is the right ratio". In a naturally aspirated car, 4:10 is a no-brainer. But if you have a lot of torque down low (as in "supercharged"), 4:10 gearing may feel too short. You'll certainly be shifting more often in city driving with 4:10 gears, 1st gear runs out soon!

Your tune will reflect your gearing, and speedo calibration is part of the tune.

As for buying, I'd recommend the Ford Racing kits, and I have good luck with Summit or Jegs.

Jer

Well said and spot on in IMO, installing 4:10's was a mistake I wish I had not made. +1 on the FRPP kit.

Well said and spot on in IMO, installing 4:10's was a mistake I wish I had not made. +1 on the FRPP kit.

Why do you feel it was a mistake?

I may hold off then and see how much this SC pleases me.. I was just gonna do it while it was there anyway but no big deal I can take it back whenever

I may hold off then and see how much this SC pleases me.. I was just gonna do it while it was there anyway but no big deal I can take it back whenever

Might be cool to enjoy the SC, then save the gears for later when you want a nice treat for yourself... pace yourself, so to speak! LOL...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-4209-F373N/

or

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-4209-G410A/

Jer

heres the thing, alot of people call 4:10s "gears of war."and rightfully so, i have them in my car and let me tell you theyr a blast. my sgt is my only vehicle so i drive it everyday. its loads of fun. the 4:10's might be too much for a sc. just remember you'll be shifting alot, on the other hand youll have a tremendous amount of torque to play with. personally unless your racing the car(i circuit race and the 4:10's are perfect i think) id go with 3:73's or 3:90's. both will give you alot of bang. if it were me i'd do 3:90's

heres the thing, alot of people call 4:10s "gears of war."and rightfully so, i have them in my car and let me tell you theyr a blast. my sgt is my only vehicle so i drive it everyday. its loads of fun. the 4:10's might be too much for a sc. just remember you'll be shifting alot, on the other hand youll have a tremendous amount of torque to play with. personally unless your racing the car(i circuit race and the 4:10's are perfect i think) id go with 3:73's or 3:90's. both will give you alot of bang. if it were me i'd do 3:90's

I would stay away from the 390's on account they are foreign gears and they seem to whine. I have the 410's in my car and they are a blast to drive.I don't see where you would be shifting more as when you turn a corner you can change to third gear instead of second. I've always said that i don't really care about 0 to 140 but 0 to 60 and you can get there quicker with 410's.Quantum Performance talked me into staying with the 410's for awhile to see how i liked them with the s/c. I have no complaints . Since you are an automatic then i would probably stay with the stock gears, The 355's to 373's are i believe to close to gether to warrant changing to 373's. If i were to change gears now then i would go down to the 373's, but the difference between the 410's and the 373's are much greater than the 355's versus 373's. With the new power you are about to get you will be in shock as to how much faster you will go.You are about to have a totally different car with the s/c. Good luck and hang on.

I would stay away from the 390's on account they are foreign gears and they seem to whine. I have the 410's in my car and they are a blast to drive.I don't see where you would be shifting more as when you turn a corner you can change to third gear instead of second. I've always said that i don't really care about 0 to 140 but 0 to 60 and you can get there quicker with 410's.Quantum Performance talked me into staying with the 410's for awhile to see how i liked them with the s/c. I have no complaints . Since you are an automatic then i would probably stay with the stock gears, The 355's to 373's are i believe to close to gether to warrant changing to 373's. If i were to change gears now then i would go down to the 373's, but the difference between the 410's and the 373's are much greater than the 355's versus 373's. With the new power you are about to get you will be in shock as to how much faster you will go.You are about to have a totally different car with the s/c. Good luck and hang on.

with the 3:90's its a all about the installer. theyr alot more sensitive then the 4:10's or 3:73's. dont know why. and alot of the 4:10's were not made in house by ford, just depends on when they were made. i got lucky and the gears i ordered were made by ford in house. the only way you can tell is by the part number stamped on the gears.

since your an auto im going to side with shelbytexan on this one. see how yo like it with the stock gears first.

PM mywickedshelby. I just installed a Whipple 550+ on his SGT/stick car with 4.10 gears. Other than a reduced top speed and gas mileage, the 4.10's are awesome on the street. You will actually get better gas mileage in town as you are in 5th quicker, but worse on the freeway. 2 other installs I have done with roots blowers on 4.63V's people worried about keeping the 4.10's and each time I told the owner to leave them and wait. None asked for the gears to be removed after driving their cars with my suspension set-up....

With the 4.10's and a roots blower, you WILL have increased wheel hop and traction issues if you leave the stock rear suspension. PM Wicked...he'll give you his before and after impressions...

Alex

with the 3:90's its a all about the installer. theyr alot more sensitive then the 4:10's or 3:73's. dont know why. and alot of the 4:10's were not made in house by ford, just depends on when they were made. i got lucky and the gears i ordered were made by ford in house. the only way you can tell is by the part number stamped on the gears.

since your an auto im going to side with shelbytexan on this one. see how yo like it with the stock gears first.

Armorine,

What are the part numbers that differentiate the in house Ford made gears and the non Ford ones?

I won a set in a raffle last month and would like to see if they are the Ford in house made one.

OP, I'm not hijacking your thread, this may be useful for all of us.

This is what I won and and have yet to install them, waiting for a sale to maybe get the Shelby or T/A pumpkin cover.

429fb94b.jpg

I should have been a little clearer on what I ment by mistake, I was referring to my setup of 4:10's vs 3:73's. Running the 3:73's FI with a 3650 was the right setup for me but with the 6060 they felt a little too linear compared to the 3650 and the 4:10's with the 6060 are a little short for a FI dd IMO. Thinking about giving the 3:90's a try, I also think the whining issues are in the install, still looking for the right ratio for me with my setup, a little can mean a lot with gears.

Well from what I gather I need to drive it for a while with the SC and see how I like it. But this is great info for the future for sure. I guess I read all this info on how the roush isnt as strong as the whipple or kenne bell and it makes me thing my car is gonna suck to be honest with you. lol

But like I said I dont race I just want the power for the street and If I do decide to race it will be only sometimes. Im just afraid im gonna be dissapointed in my charger now but I didnt want to lose my warranty or what I have left on it.

Well from what I gather I need to drive it for a while with the SC and see how I like it. But this is great info for the future for sure. I guess I read all this info on how the roush isnt as strong as the whipple or kenne bell and it makes me thing my car is gonna suck to be honest with you. lol

But like I said I dont race I just want the power for the street and If I do decide to race it will be only sometimes. Im just afraid im gonna be dissapointed in my charger now but I didnt want to lose my warranty or what I have left on it.

I seriously doubt that your car is gonna suck or you will be dissappointed when you get it back with a good install and tune , may not be the right choice if you are planning on big boost and don't mind building a couple of motors, ask me how I know.

Armorine,

What are the part numbers that differentiate the in house Ford made gears and the non Ford ones?

I won a set in a raffle last month and would like to see if they are the Ford in house made one.

OP, I'm not hijacking your thread, this may be useful for all of us.

This is what I won and and have yet to install them, waiting for a sale to maybe get the Shelby or T/A pumpkin cover.

429fb94b.jpg

you sir have ford gears

you can tell if you have motive gears by the part number. the motive gears will be part number M-4209-G410M. the m stands for motive. ford gears will be part number M-4209-G410A and are more expensive but better.

i honestly think the ford gears are stronger as well, but this is just opinion. only reason i think this is cause my tuner sheered a tooth off a set of 4:10 motives at the drag strip. it should however be kept in mind he was pushing nearly 600wrhp and launching at over 4k rpm

Heres is my .02 cents. I'M SC'd and went with 3.73 from the stock 3.55's. Even though they are close it was a perfect choice (IMO) for street and track. The SC'er produces so much low end punch that first gear is gone pretty quick. I just had the 3.73 replaced after a pionion bearing went bad. I was seriously considering 4.10s but after talking with a few guys who have 4.10's and superchargers I decided to go back with 3.73's. If I read correctly your car is an automatic. I know the stock mustang GT's that are autos come with 3.31 so a set of 3.73 should feel real good with the sc'er.

I have yet to hear about a set of 3.90's from motive that setup easily and that aren't loud. You have to wonder why FRP doesn't make a set of 3.90's?

I just got a set of 3.73 from www.buyfordracing.com for $150 delivered.

I checked mine to make sure it has the 3.55 gears. I will stick with that and change later if I am not happy.

blueone-- the reason I went with the roush is so I didnt blow my motor so that makes me feel good bro..lol

I figure if later on I get wanting more I can change the pulley get another tune and add thr Roush CAI

I have a carbon fiber CAI intake right now I will probablly sell if anyone is interested

on a side note since no ones mentioned this. get a tuner and you can change the computers calcs for gear ratio yourself. its what i did for mine. i keep my handheld tuner in my car at all times just in case i have a problem or the idiot light comes on, i can whip it out and pull the code to see what it is.

Best thing to do is drive cars with the set up you want or talk directly to those who have 4.10s,

you can drive my car if you like.............

and Alex is right....I just had him SC my car and I was interested in going to 3.73s from the 4.10s Ive been running since 2008.

He talked me out of it,......if you like the 4.10s N/A, you will love them SCd.......

I drove 5000 miles from here to Palm Springs with the 4.10s N/A and 4000 miles back with them in my SCd Shelby.....

I love them.

Best thing to do is drive cars with the set up you want or talk directly to those who have 4.10s,

you can drive my car if you like.............

and Alex is right....I just had him SC my car and I was interested in going to 3.73s from the 4.10s Ive been running since 2008.

He talked me out of it,......if you like the 4.10s N/A, you will love them SCd.......

I drove 5000 miles from here to Palm Springs with the 4.10s N/A and 4000 miles back with them in my SCd Shelby.....

I love them.

Wicked is right about driving one. Everyone has a different idea of how they want their car to feel and drive. Best way to know is to feel it for yourself.

If you drive it on the highway I think you'll be disappointed with 4.10s. Good for the track. Tolerable on the street, but at 75MPH you'll be at 5000RPM (someone could actually calculate it...) I would wait to see if you think you really need them.

Sorry Tony, 80 mph in fifth gear is 2600 rpms with the 4.10s..........with the 3.55s it was 2200 rpms...........not nearly as much as you make it out to be.

Like I said, drive one with 4.10s, dont just imagine how you think it might be.

BTW, the fact that the car is an automatic makes a lot of our advice here irrelevant.

Once I saw you post THAT, I thought, "OK, different game!"

I don't know how many people have done it with an auto, but I'd seek THEIR opinions, mainly.

The "hassle" of a short first gear when rowing yourself may mean nothing to someone with an auto.

4.10s may be perfect. And compensating in your tune for a gear change is now a MUST.

Jer

Sorry Tony, 80 mph in fifth gear is 2600 rpms with the 4.10s..........with the 3.55s it was 2200 rpms...........not nearly as much as you make it out to be.

Like I said, drive one with 4.10s, dont just imagine how you think it might be.

Wow, that's a lot more "equal" than I expected (and have experienced in the past).

Archived