TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What is the best way to add extra power to a KR?

Sabregl

Well it looks like I'm going through with a deal on a 09 KR. I've struggled for a long time between the KR and the 725HP SS but I personally believe the extra horsepower is the only place where the SS out shines the KR. That being said I need more power for my KR. What is the best way to gain extra HP without major mods? It appears dyno numbers range from 480rwhp to 520rwhp and I know this is a ton of power but I would like to sqeeze out another 50 - 60 ponies if possible. What can I gain by just changing the pulley and adding a tune? What have you guys done and are you happy with the results?

Thanks.

Gregg

Check with Gil out at Shelby American in Vegas. He is in charge of the tuning and modifications at the tech shop (or whatever it is called).

This guy is a wealth of information and he'll definitely steer you in the right direction. I saw a couple KR's out there this week that were having a few modifications done.

Just a quick question.

Have you driven the KR yet?

Stock the car is a friggin beast!

I mean yes you could put a blower on the car and make more HP but is it usable?

You could do a pulley and tune as well, but the car is already tuned more aggressively stock.

If you haven't driven it... and this is just my opinion obviously.... I would drive it first and see if you really want more power.

Just a quick question.

Have you driven the KR yet?

Stock the car is a friggin beast!

I mean yes you could put a blower on the car and make more HP but is it usable?

You could do a pulley and tune as well, but the car is already tuned more aggressively stock.

If you haven't driven it... and this is just my opinion obviously.... I would drive it first and see if you really want more power.

That's a very good question and the answer is no I have not drove the KR yet. I did have a 09 GT500 9 months ago which I was going to send down for the SS package but sold it to buy an exotic. I remember the few times I drove the GT500 how impressed I was with it's power so hopefully I won't want more than what the KR offers stock. Honestly, I think I"m just trying to close the horsepower gap between the KR and SS so I don't question whether or not I should have went with a SS. I know it's a poor reason, but it is what it is.

That's a very good question and the answer is no I have not drove the KR yet. I did have a 09 GT500 9 months ago which I was going to send down for the SS package but sold it to buy an exotic. I remember the few times I drove the GT500 how impressed I was with it's power so hopefully I won't want more than what the KR offers stock. Honestly, I think I"m just trying to close the horsepower gap between the KR and SS so I don't question whether or not I should have went with a SS. I know it's a poor reason, but it is what it is.

Oh ok :)

Well I can understand your reasoning totally. And ultimately you should do what makes you happy, and if having a KR that has as much HP as a Super Snake will make you happy then go for it.

Just remember though, the SS has more power than it can use. I've not driven an SS, but from all the posts I've seen regarding the SS traction is a big issue.

So having 650hp is great, but if you can't use it then it's just bragging rights.

The KR is, IMHO, a perfectly balanced car. There is more than enough power on tap (i.e. it will melt the tires with TC off) and it's got a great suspension and really the total package.

The only other car that likely is a better balanced GT500 is probably the 2011 with the aluminum block.

The KR puts down an average of 500hp to the rear wheels. Thats plenty for street use and muscle car cruise night bragging rights. That equates to about 580 hp at the crank. You need more then 500hp to the rear wheels with a 3.73 rear???? :confused:

The KR will break the tires loose in second gear. How do I know???. I did it Sunday night accelarating from a light with Traction control on! Imagine if it was off!

There was a post on this site that the KR has a quicker 0-60 time then the SS. While the KR is digging in and taking off the SS is melting its tires.

The car is a perfect balance between huge power and handling and ride.

You already have bragging rights....Its a KR!

The KR puts down an average of 500hp to the rear wheels. Thats plenty for street use and muscle car cruise night bragging rights. That equates to about 580 hp at the crank. You need more then 500hp to the rear wheels with a 3.73 rear???? :confused:

The KR will break the tires loose in second gear. How do I know???. I did it Sunday night accelarating from a light with Traction control on! Imagine if it was off!

There was a post on this site that the KR has a quicker 0-60 time then the SS. While the KR is digging in and taking off the SS is melting its tires.

The car is a perfect balance between huge power and handling and ride.

You already have bragging rights....Its a KR!

That's a fact Jack! I remember looking at a bunch of stock dyno #s from various sources and they ran from low 490s to 510. You're pushin nearly 600 at the clutch, major league balls out of the box unmodified.

That's a fact Jack! I remember looking at a bunch of stock dyno #s from various sources and they ran from low 490s to 510. You're pushin nearly 600 at the clutch, major league balls out of the box unmodified.

Wow, that much? :eek5:

Does that make our cars more powerful than the 2011s? Or are they also underated? :headscratch:

can you post these stock KR dyno sheets?

Well it looks like I'm going through with a deal on a 09 KR. I've struggled for a long time between the KR and the 725HP SS but I personally believe the extra horsepower is the only place where the SS out shines the KR. That being said I need more power for my KR. What is the best way to gain extra HP without major mods? It appears dyno numbers range from 480rwhp to 520rwhp and I know this is a ton of power but I would like to sqeeze out another 50 - 60 ponies if possible. What can I gain by just changing the pulley and adding a tune? What have you guys done and are you happy with the results?

Thanks.

Gregg

Justin can get you the extra 50-60 ponies

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?

Justin can get you the extra 50-60 ponies

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?

You will not get 50-60 ponies on a KR.. This is an e-mail I recieved directly from John Lund...

As for the 2009 GT500KR I have tuned numerous variation of them from Stock to 3.6KBs... In stock form the KR calibration is nothing more standard shelby OEM calibration with a CAI added and more agressive throttle calibration. Timing curve is mild and air fuel is mild. So like any Shelby with a CAI already on the car a more agressive timing curve and slight leaning of the air fuel will pickup some power. In your case not alot because you already have the advantage of the CAI. If it were mine I'd add a 2.6 upper pulley immediately and a tune with a little more Spark. Tune itself average would gain around 10-15 rwhp and 15-18 rwtq. Not much but a noticable improvement. The Pulley would add boost 2-3lbs and the gain would be around 20-25 rwhp and tq.

I have tuned a few hundred KRs and over 2000 Shelbys.... So its bascially already been done. And contratery to Forum Belief I can put a KR tune on any Shelby and do.... with different CAI or break the tune up and use certain portions. Again the KR uses its own calibration Strategy but its based off the OEM stock 2008 Shelby with roughly 30-35 changes for the KR... Not a big Deal..

Thanks

Jon L

IF YOU WANT TO DO IT RIGHT ; MAY I SUGGEST ; 2.6 SUPERCHARGER UPPER PULLEY AND A

INNOVATOR WEST 10% OVER DRIVE LOWER PULLEY, TUNE AND THEN YOU WILL HAVE SOME

SERIOUS POWER. I WOULD GIVE YOU AROUND 580 - 600 RWHP AND TORQUE.

OR

YOU CAN GO THE ROUTE I DID OF THE FORD RACING TVS W/2.6 UPPER PULLEY AND

10% LOWER , AGGRESSIVE 93 OCTANE TUNE AND YOU WOULD HAVE AROUND 660 - 680 RWHP AND TORQUE.

GOOOD LUCK WITH YOUR UPGRADES.

SCOTTY :salute:

KRs are definitely underated in HP by SAI. The Dyno figures prove that clearly.

Not surprising since it was a pre-title program with Ford. DOT and the super nannies had to be deallt iwth.

Probably underated for insurance reasons to.

580hp at the crank and 500hp at the rear wheels is enough for me.

With more power all your doing is spinning the tires that much earlier.

I believe it is all about maximizing the car's potential. The original tune is still somewhat conservative given alot of people aren't concerned with what fuel they use in their cars. With the aftermarket tunes available, they clearly address this. In addition, many parts of the country don't have the same octane ratings available. I'm fortunate that 93 octane is available here and that is what I plan on using, since I won't be touring the country in this car. I'm also really impressed with the swap to VMP's pulley.

Archived