TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR vs Supersnake

Sabregl

I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times before but I would like a quick comparison between the KR and Supersnake preferrably by someone who is very familiar with both. I'm ready to make a purchase but I can't come up with a final decision between the two. From what I can see the Supersnake is a total beast with way more power that the car can handle. The KR is underpowered in comparison by numbers but could very easily be tweaked to produce more horsepower if it's even needed . As far as either of them holding their value in the future I give the edge to the KR because it is considered a factory built "out of the box racer" which I believe has more appeal.

Please chime in with your thoughts, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Gregg

I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times before but I would like a quick comparison between the KR and Supersnake preferrably by someone who is very familiar with both. I'm ready to make a purchase but I can't come up with a final decision between the two. From what I can see the Supersnake is a total beast with way more power that the car can handle. The KR is underpowered in comparison by numbers but could very easily be tweaked to produce more horsepower if it's even needed . As far as either of them holding their value in the future I give the edge to the KR because it is considered a factory built "out of the box racer" which I believe has more appeal.

Please chime in with your thoughts, it will be much appreciated.

Your thoughts are pretty much in line with my thoughts except maybe the "underpowered in comparison" statement regarding the KR. It really depends on what you're comparing it to (see my next statement before jumping out of your chair).

Remember, the "standard 2007 & 2008 GT500" had 500 advertised HP.

The 2007 & 2008 GT500KR has 540 advertised HP so actually, the GT500KR is OVERPOWERED reletive (in comparison) to a GT500. But yeah, I know you're comparing it to a SS, not a GT500 so.......

Reletive to a Super Snake, it is LESS POWERFUL but not by a ton. 540HP vs. 630HP. That's less than 100HP for another 30 grand on top of the price of the "standard GT500" (or for $34K you can get the 750HP version). And like you said, the SS really has "more power than it can handle". The number one complaint I see regarding the Super Snake is a lack of traction, bar none. I don't hear a lot of complaints like that with the KR.

I also agree on the value statement, where as the value of a KR will hold much better than the value of a SS (IMHO) in the far future.

Me personally, I like the look of the KR better than the SS. They are *similar* but to me the SS looks more like a "KR Clone" or a KR Jr. The SS has a hood that looks "close" to the KR hood but is NO WHERE near the quality (and Carbon Fiber vs. Fiberglass). The SS wheels (Alcoa Dura-brights) look similar to the KR but they are 20" instead of 18". The SS has a carbon fiber splitter similar to (but here's where I give kudos to the SS over the KR) the KR splitter but if you do a side-by-side comparison, the SS splitter *looks* much more appealing to me (it 'curves' up into the wheel wells rather than bluntly ending like a KR). Having said that, the KR spent many hours in the Ford Motor Company wind tunnel so it is most likely aerodynamically superior (purely a Wild Ass Guess/WAG on my part). Carbon fiber rocker covers and mirror covers are also KR cloned features.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are both extreamly appealing cars but if I had my choice, I'd have a KR over a SS. And if horsepower is the deciding factor, you can buy the very same supercharger (FRPP 2.3L 630/660HP TVS, FRPP/Whipple 2.9L 750HP or a Kenne Bell 2.8L 750HP supercharger) and put it on your KR. I bought my FRPP/Whipple 2.9L polished supercharger for a little over $5,500.00 and you can get a aftermarket tune and kit for much less.

When I bought my '10 GT500 there was a '08 KR sitting on the floor with it. I could have had that car for about $10K more than I paid for my GT500 (and it has since been resold for less than I paid for my GT500). But I liked all of the creature comforts of the 2010 vs. the KR. IF they had made a 2010 KR (at the time) I would have bought it instead of my "standard GT500", because I like the looks of the KR so much better.

Remember, the KR is a Ford showroom stock vehicle and the Super Snake is a GT500 that has been modified with off the shelf aftermarket items added on to it. Apples and oranges.

Also, I can make my 2010 GT500 (clone it) into a "Semi Super Snake" myself. I can't make it into a "Semi KR" though.

I'm adding a Ford Racing Performance Parts/FRPP FR3 Handling Pack and a FRPP/Whipple 2.9L supercharger (same as a SS). I have the side scoops and quarter window scoops, same as a SS (side scoops are on the car, window scoops still need painting and then will be on the car). The RPM I see when I hit the traps will be a deciding factor on whether or not to add a set of FRPP 3.73's (or lower) gears (also SS items).

I'm tossing the idea about as to adding a set of 20" Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels and a Super Snake hood (SS items). I can even add the Super Snake style OTT and side rocker stripes to my car if I so desire.

Point is, I can pretty easily "clone" a Super Snake if I want to. I will essentially have a Super Snake when I'm done, sans the Shelby Super Snake ID items (underhood ID plate, console plaque and sill plates) and the SS badged items such as the headrests, arm rest and exterior badges.

You can't do that with a KR, at least not with a 2010/11 or very easily or inexpensively, even with a '08 or '9 which is another reason I feel the KR will hold it's future value so much better!

Just My Humble Opinion (JMHO),

Phill

I agree with all the above comments.

I was weighing the SS or KR issue myself before I pulled the trigger.

Deciding factors for me were:

1. KR was very limited in production numbers. Only 1600 built. While there may be less SS built in any one year fact remains there are more SS's.

2. The KR is a pre title car. One of only a few Shelby pre title models since the 1960s modified by Shleby and sold off the Ford Dealer showrooms just like back in the 1960s. Post title cars don't have the same appeal, at least for me.

3. Its a "KR". A legendary moniker.

4. I think the fit and finish on the KR is superior from the SS's I've seen.

5. The KR is anything but "underpowered". Its not how much you are putting out. Its how much you are putting to the ground. the KR hp numbers were understated by Ford and Shelby. Dyno pulls for stock KR's consistently show around 580hp at the crank or about 510 to 515hp at the rear wheels.

6. The KR is a wonderfully balanced muscle car. Rides beautifully and comfortable yet it handles great and much improved over a standard GT500.

7. The exhaust note on the KRs is worth the price of admission alone.

8. The KR hood is a work of art with the KR hood pins ala 1968.

9. IMHO the KR is probably one of the nicest looking Mustangs of all time.

10. I like the 18" Alocas. They are more classic then the 20" wheels. But if you like 20" wheels its easy enough to change.

11. Shelby limits KR specific parts to just KR owners thereby protecting the collectibility of these cars.

I like the SS and despite the SS's greater hp I think the KR is nicer for the above reasons and will be more desireable from a collectibility standpoint in the future IMHO.

The SS is a fantastic car and outshines the KR in the HP category hands down.

For me, I opted for the "pre-titled" label, plus the set number of units built.

If I want my KR to go faster, I have that option. If I wanted an SS to be pre-titled, I don't have that option.

In conclusion I must say......both cars are to die for. You really can't go wrong with either. I don't care what anyone says but...the S197 body style is tops so far. No other body style in the past 40 years can touch it. Ford hit a home run, that's for sure.

+ 1000 to above comments. I Love my 09 KR and got used to driving her down the road as a daily driver. I felt she didn't meet my H/P expectations after awhile on these smooth long Maryland roads, so I started to collect some upgrades from various T/S GT500 owners.

So I had some mods installed (see attached) that would increase my H/P and keep my KR appearence and performance at bay with low cost. See attachment with Mods I had installed, (I saved all my removed parts of course).

After installs she produced a street tune of 706.84 RWHP/ 610.99 Max Torque on dyno on a hot summer night (90.50F). I also have some Brake upgrades that I have installed. I must say, She's a true King of the Road (KR) around here.

All I have to say is these KR's are awesome and attention getters, can be modded to meet your expectations/performance needs as desired.

My recomendation : Go KR and work your way from there...

Have fun and be happy... :shift:

DaShelby

[

For me the SS is a better bang for your buck if raw power and a thrilling driving experience is what your after. For a more refined look and feel, the KR has that 10 fold over the SS. I also think the KR will hold it's value over the SS due to being pre-titled.

When I get a KR, I will not mod her beyond what SA has done. Keep her stock and enjoy as is I say.

Archived