TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford racing mufflers

terry gt500

Don't waste your money on mufflers or axle-back kits. Change out your stock cats for a set of HIGH-FLOW CATS. The stock mufflers on the '10 GT500 sound great once you get rid of stock cats. They are different than the '07-09 mufflers. So if you intend to change the cats later, just do it now.

No....I have the Magnaflow X-pipe with high flow cats. You can get Lethal's X-pipe w/High Flow cats, it costs less and they actually use the Magnaflow cats in their version. I would have used Lethal's X-pipe but I got a really good deal on a used Magnaflow X. No cutting or welding involved if you replace the X-pipe.

Has anyone used the ford Racing SVT Mustang "Sport" Axle-Back Exhaust? Curious if you had a noticeably improved sound and what your thoughts are.

Thanks

About 9 months ago, I installed these on my 2010: M-5230-MSVTL -- 2010 MUSTANG SVT SPORT MUFFLER KIT (49 STATE). Took awhile to get things lined up so that each muffller tip was positioned properly and exactly the same through the rear valance; otherwise no problem. Gives the car a little more rumble along with a little more exhaust sound in the cabin.

The M-5320-MSVTL muffler sounds great on the '10. Had those on my '10 and am looking into the MSVTLA for my '11. They lower the rumble, are throatier, and like KLG points out are a little louder in the cabin. -HAWKBARR

Don't waste your money on mufflers or axle-back kits. Change out your stock cats for a set of HIGH-FLOW CATS. The stock mufflers on the '10 GT500 sound great once you get rid of stock cats. They are different than the '07-09 mufflers. So if you intend to change the cats later, just do it now.

Do you need to do any "tuning" with the computer or anything else, other than changing cats? Satchmo

• 3 years later...

Just got done installing FRPP M-5230-MSVTLA (Sport) Axle backs on my 2011 today.

The install was pretty straight forward. I removed the exhaust hanger, instead of loosening the bolts on the H-Pipe. It's a little tight getting bolts off with the larger stock exhaust, but I took my time. Install of the new axle-backs was a breeze since you have plenty of extra room to bolt up the hangers. Really glad I wore safety glasses since I had a bolt fall on my eye :thumbsup:

On the plus side, the tips looks excellent and the overall construction is really nice. Fit was spot-on.

Overall, I really like the deeper tone these produce. Volume seems close to stock, maybe a touch louder.

But what I really miss that 'nasty GT500' sound of downshifting into a corner where the stock exhaust popped and grumbled...it's just 'mean'. The FRPP are almost a bit too refined IMHO.

I'll keeps these on for now, but will look for another exhaust mod that might bring back some of the stock sounds I really enjoyed.

Archived