TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT/SC Decals

2BIGFRED

It is acceptable to have snakes on a Shelby GT. Though Shelby GTs originally did not come with any snakes on them "from the factory", aftermarket parts with snakes on them can be purchased specifically for the Shelby GT from Shelby. The seat cushions on this SGT are an example of this. The "Tiffany" snake on the faux gas cap is from Ford Parts and can be purchased for any Mustang. I think people can go overboard with adding snakes to their SGTs, but it's fine if there are some.

BTW:

The Paxton supercharger and the "Shelby GT/SC" side stripes are not from Shelby - the label on the supercharger does not have the Shelby label and the side stripe the font is noticeably incorrect. However, this car is not being sold as a SGT/SC, but as a SGT with modifications. And it's not a bad price if the modifications are to your liking.

The cobra found on the headrest has become known as the "Berg" cobra, which is named after the gentleman who designed it - at least this is what I have read somewhere in the past. It is a little different than the tiffany cobra logo, which is owned by Ford and licensed to Shelby American.

It is nice to have the cobras match on the vehicle, and most SGT owners continue the same cobra scheme throughout the vehicle. There are other options available for the faux gas cap insert on the back of the car. The cobra on your faux gas cap is found on the GT 500's and did not come on the SGT's when manufactured by Shelby American.

When I had my car supercharged, I opted for the CS Supercharged gas cap insert (pics below). I do not know if this is still available, but the "Berg" cobra gas cap insert should still be available from Shelby American.

There is also an outer trim ring for the faux gas cap, as shown in my photo below, that reads SHELBY, which is available from Shelby American. Both the cobra insert and the outer SHELBY trim ring are attached by double-sided tape and have an excellent fit and finish.

post-26281-0-01683200-1293813961_thumb.jpg

The Snake on the rear of the car is the Tiffany Cobra. The snakes in the interior is the Cobra that has become the snake for the SGT. It is originally off of the 69-70. Either has become accepted on the SGT.

Chris

Chris,

I would VERY RESPECTFULLY disagree on the use of the "Tiffany Cobra" on a SGT.

Those of you that were here back in 2007 will remember that I was TOTALLY anti-Cobra on the car when it was first released. But since those "just say no to Cobra days" SA/SAI/SPP has released a number of tasteful and coordinated parts and trim pieces for the car using, what I called the "S" snake.

To me the decision was made which to go with when SAI decided on the faux gas cap design using the "S" snake and I believe we should support and reinforce that as owners going forward. The car has it's own identity and doesn't need to be confused or blurred with a GT500 and TO ME the Tiffany Cobra has no business on the SGT...AGAIN TO ME!

Personally, I think, the important thing to note is that the SGT is a car that demands, from it's beautiful look and simple styling, a consistent look and feel. You would NEVER see Ford or Apple mix and match logo's on the same product. You get a look and you stick with it. So if you get the SGT gas cap, then get the matching wheel caps, the engine dress-up kit, headrests, and the steering wheel sticker! :-) in other words when you're done, as long as you don't go overboard, you'll have something that's different than a GT500, still yells S-H-E-L-B-Y, and looks as if it came that way stock. The car deserves it's own identity and if we as owners don't police and support it who will?

PLEASE AGAIN this my PERSONAL opinion!

-Jeff

Chris,

I would VERY RESPECTFULLY disagree on the use of the "Tiffany Cobra" on a SGT.

Those of you that were here back in 2007 will remember that I was TOTALLY anti-Cobra on the car when it was first released. But since those "just say no to Cobra days" SA/SAI/SPP has released a number of tasteful and coordinated parts and trim pieces for the car using, what I called the "S" snake.

To me the decision was made which to go with when SAI decided on the faux gas cap design using the "S" snake and I believe we should support and reinforce that as owners going forward. The car has it's own identity and doesn't need to be confused or blurred with a GT500 and TO ME the Tiffany Cobra has no business on the SGT...AGAIN TO ME!

Personally, I think, the important thing to note is that the SGT is a car that demands, from it's beautiful look and simple styling, a consistent look and feel. You would NEVER see Ford or Apple mix and match logo's on the same product. You get a look and you stick with it. So if you get the SGT gas cap, then get the matching wheel caps, the engine dress-up kit, headrests, and the steering wheel sticker! :-) in other words when you're done, as long as you don't go overboard, you'll have something that's different than a GT500, still yells S-H-E-L-B-Y, and looks as if it came that way stock. The car deserves it's own identity and if we as owners don't police and support it who will?

PLEASE AGAIN this my PERSONAL opinion!

-Jeff

Jeff, I agree with you 100%. The OP asked if the snakes were accepted, so I responded accordingly. As you know, some of us have the 'Berg' snake, some have the CS logo, and others have added that damn tiffany cobra. I am with you though, there should only be one type of snake on the car. Choose a design and stick with it, don't combine them.

Chris

Jeff, I agree with you 100%. The OP asked if the snakes were accepted, so I responded accordingly. As you know, some of us have the 'Berg' snake, some have the CS logo, and others have added that damn tiffany cobra. I am with you though, there should only be one type of snake on the car. Choose a design and stick with it, don't combine them.

Chris

No worries! I'm just VERY, perhaps OVERLY, protective of the car and its identity I guess...so don't mind me!

I'll be the pain in the @$$ guy 40 years from now bitching at car shows how this or that doesn't belong on the car etc....I need things to be grumpy about when I'm old!

:happy feet:

I really enjoy the passion that surrounds these cars!

Like Chris just said, the answer to the original question is "yes" snakes are acceptable. That seems to be widely agreed upon. Everyone's unique tastes will then dictate which snakes.

And that my good friend is where we'll disagree but it's all good! Where we do agree is on the passion for the cars...besides we need some "controversy", or spirited debate, every now and then around here!

:dance:

The logo on the seats is the one that you'll see most on sgt's, the one on the trunk lock is usually for gt500's, but both are cool...

Pretty sure I've seen that car listed somewhere, and I remember it being a killer deal with all the mods, BUT be aware it's likely NOT a real GT/SC as the Paxton doesn't have the Shelby tag on it...

Yes the egistry has received several phone calls about this car. It is a Shelby GT that the owner has heavily modded to their tastes. It does not have the GT/SC upgrade from Shelby.

Steve

Hummmm, My SGT/SC decals that I installed myself stand for " SGT/Southern California", Yea thats my story and thats where they came from

:hysterical:

I think I'll get a set...but not sure what mine will stand for... hummm :headscratch:

SGT/Super Cool

SGT/Super Car

SGT/Super Califragilisticexpialidocious

Or maybe

Shelby G-otta T-each/S-illy C-amaro's!

A little history on the early Shelby Mustangs as I remember it. During the first few years of production, the Shelby Mustangs were not called Cobras or badged with the cobra tiffany logo. Although they did have a stylized cobra on the gas cap, horn button and maybe elsewhere, again they were not called a Shelby Cobra or Mustang Cobra. 1968 was the first year for the Shelby Mustang to wear the tiffany cobra and be called a Shelby Cobra or Mustang Cobra. I'm taking this from memory, but I believe that once the Cobra (AC) production ended, Ford purchased the Cobra tiffany logo and slapped it on the Shelby Mustangs in 1968 since Ford was now producing the Shelby Mustangs.

Fast forward to 2006 and the present. There is only one cobra badged car being produced by Ford and it is currently the Shelby GT 500 Cobra. The 2006-2008 Shelby GT's, as we all know, are not Cobras, but neither were the original Shelby Mustangs from 1965-1967. I think Shelby American missed the boat by not placing their own stylized version of a cobra on the SGT's, like the first Shelbys in the 1960's, but it is what it is. Since then, Shelby American has produced and offered stylized "Berg" cobras for the SGT's which are found on the headrests, floormats, console lids and other trim pieces - not unlike the stylized cobras found on the original Shelby Mustangs from 1965-1967. These "Berg" cobras are 100% proper for the SGT's since they are manufactured exclusively for the SGT's.

I empathize with Jeff's passion and adding a "Berg" stylized cobra to any Shelby GT is quite appropriate, and frankly, I encourage it also. The cobra logo identifies Shelby American with our cars which has been a Shelby trademark since day-one back in 1962.

I do agree with others here though, since our cars are not Cobras, that the tiffany cobra should remain on the Cobras, but that it a personal choice which the owner must decide. :salute:

post-26281-0-25319100-1293842979_thumb.jpg

post-26281-0-22314000-1293843057_thumb.jpg

post-26281-0-25319100-1293842979_thumb.jpg

post-26281-0-22314000-1293843057_thumb.jpg

Funny, reminds me of the last time I saw the snake on a hood!

My 1979 Cobra Mustang.

:lurk:

I saw that pic' and instantly thought "King Cobra"!

KC.jpg

Jer

KC.jpg

:hysterical:

I think I'll get a set...but not sure what mine will stand for... hummm :headscratch:

SGT/Super Cool

SGT/Super Car

SGT/Super Califragilisticexpialidocious

Or maybe

Shelby G-otta T-each/S-illy C-amaro's!

I live close to Chicago...

For me SGT/SC will stand for .................. Suburb of Chicago (edition).

How many people at car shows would believe me?

Archived