TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fun times at the track yesterday!

GO-SVT

Yesterday was at "Fun Ford Day" at Great Lakes Dragaway. The weather was great save for a moderate headwind.

Ran a new personal best:

Also made 8 other passes. I hit every gear, every time. No clutch issues. No grinding issues. Let your clutch break in properly before you start hammering the car, it will treat you right.

Had a very cool experience racing a beautiful 2010 CobraJet- How many of you can say you tripped the win light against one of these?? :shift:

Most of you know what a "rah rah Ford Apologist" I am.

Ford Racing was on display yesterday. My car's loaded with goodies from the Ford Racing parts bin and the Cobra Jet is something you can order right from the FRPP catalog!

What a blast!!! GREAT day yesterday! Also bigtime congrats to bj (VNMOUS1) on his blistering 10.62!!! :dance:

f08424b7bcd743089b05284234a07fb7.JPG?uid=abb87306-18d6-411d-a741-5546843c0268

Also made 8 other passes. I hit every gear, every time. No clutch issues. No grinding issues. Let your clutch break in properly before you start hammering the car, it will treat you right.

So how many miles would you say before hitting the gears hard? I have 4200 miles and ground for my first time...

BTW, Looks great. Keep posting your times. I know these cars have serious potential.

So how many miles would you say before hitting the gears hard? I have 4200 miles and ground for my first time...

BTW, Looks great. Keep posting your times. I know these cars have serious potential.

Thanks... I made sure that I had a good 500-600 miles of TRUE city driving (highway miles do zero for breaking in the clutch) before I started to drive it "hard" and I put well over 1,000 city miles on the clutch before I started to race it.

I also started out with very soft launches, and have been gradually hitting it harder. I do pull pretty hard on that shifter handle when I change gears.

If any of you have issues with the dealer about mods causing "problems" with the clutch, feel free to point out that there's a guy on T/S with over 600 to the wheels and his stock clutch has held up very well to drag racing. (I have about 35 passes on it now)

No, I never have in any of my cars. Never needed one....

How do you keep it from 'rolling thru the lights'? On my earlier cars, my 97 Cobra (5-speed), for example, it would roll slightly unless I applied brake to keep it immovable on the starting line. Of course, with my setup---short skinnies up front, slicks on the rear, the car had a slightly nose down attitude that may have caused it. Then again...maybe it was the track...not level enough on the starting line? LOL......

How do you keep it from 'rolling thru the lights'? On my earlier cars, my 97 Cobra (5-speed), for example, it would roll slightly unless I applied brake to keep it immovable on the starting line. Of course, with my setup---short skinnies up front, slicks on the rear, the car had a slightly nose down attitude that may have caused it. Then again...maybe it was the track...not level enough on the starting line? LOL......

My '94 Cobra with 550 RWHP does excellent burnouts with no line lock. I've run slicks on it many times. I've had the car since 1995 and it still has the original rear brakes. My old '91 LX was a mid-10-second car and it had skinnies and I never needed one there either. I usually set my shocks to be loose in the front and firm in the rear. As for not rolling thru the lights, that just never has been an issue for me. Not sure what to say there.

This is how I do a burnout, although it obviously does not illustrate how I am working the pedals. You can see that I don't "jump on the brakes" . The key is to not apply too much pedal to where you are hurting the rears, yet still hold the car in place.

Archived