TEAM SHELBY FORUM

oil level

CITYSOUND

has anyone noticed that their oil level is low. picked car up last wends and deove it for one day, registered 290 miles on it. today cleaned it, checked tires and what the hell checked oil, noticed it was down one quart.dealer stated it was full on delivery. warmed up car and let stand for one hour, still short, they put in almost one quart now at the full line. was told car is not broken in. is it normal to use one quart in 300 miles. had 2009 and 2010 gt500 and never happened. oil is not leaking out either

Did you wait 15 to 20 minutes after shutting down the engine before checking the level?

What was the oil level indication on the dipstick, was it within the cross-hatched area?

let car sit for 0ne hour after start up, then checked level. after sitting for few days level didnt reach the cross line section of the dipstick

let car sit for 0ne hour after start up, then checked level. after sitting for few days level didnt reach the cross line section of the dipstick

Assuming the car is on a level surface, sounds like the level is low. My 2007 hardly uses any oil between oil changes; I have never had to add oil.

Since it's just the dealer's word that the oil level was full, I suggest adding oil and check the level again after a few hundred miles then report back on your results.

Take note.

When changing your oil and adding the required 6-1/2 qts back into the engine the oil dip stick will hit the cross hatch lines just above the center of the cross hatched area. It will not hit the full mark. DO NOT PUT MORE THAN 6-1/2 QTS OF OIL IN THE CAR. I suggest you change the oil and record where 6-1/2 qts hit your dip stick cross hatch area and keep an eye on that level.

Just curious, what would happen if 7 qts were put in instead of 6.5 qts?

Additional oil will reach a level that will interfer with the spinning crank and connecting rod assembly receprocation causing the oil to be whipped into a froth (air mixed in with the oil). This air filled, frothy, oil gets transferred through the galleries and as it is no longer a liquid, it's lubricating properties are seriously deminished. Not a good thing. Follow Grabber's advise to the "T" about putting in ONLY 6.5 with filter, note the level on the cross hatches, and that is full for your engine...period. Trust the engineers at Ford. They know their business.

After reading this thread I was curious and went out and checked mine. It has about 400 miles on it now after picking it up on Sept 10. My level was at midway in the crosshatch area. Looked perfect to me. I hope the OP does not expect the level to be full when it reaches the top hole and low at midway.

Archived