TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Any Ford techs?

thewheelman

I hate to use this forum like this, but I need some F-150 tech advice. A/C on my 05 SuperCrew is blowing tepid air. Just had compressor replaced and it's still doing it. Local dealer says they can't find anything wrong, but agree it doesn't feel like it's cooling well. Of course, this is the end of the cooling season and next July they won't remember we had a problem the day after compressor replacement. Here's what it does--after coming to a stop, maybe 30-50 out the air is ice cold, then it warms up a bit. At highway speeds, the air coming out of the vents rarely gets below 50 degrees (I have a digital thermometer in the vent).

Any ideas? PM me!

Thanks!

Did they also replace the drier and the fixed orfice at he same time? They both should be replaced when a compressor is replaced as contamination from a bad compressor can get into them and ruin them.

Ditto (and you're obviously a AC tech too).

And the Expansion valve if junk got past the dryer.

Check to see that the compressor is cycling on/off too.

If it doesn't cycle on, it's not going to circulate the media. That could be caused by low pressure (lack of R134) or a bad pressure switch.

50d at the vent is too warm, period.

And it doesn't matter what season it is, the AC should get cold regardless....and colder than ambient temp, regardless of what ambient temp is.

Phill (ASE AC R&R Certified and AC-Delco AC Certified)

Thanks folks! I'll ask them about the dryer and orfice tomorrow. It was doing this before the compressor change out, but got better when I added freon. When they checked it Friday it was like 1 ounce low which shouldn't have made a difference. Problem is, it's dropping to the 30's tonight and only in the 70's tomorrow.....fall has hit and I'm afraid they're not going to be able to "evaluate" it properly until hot weather next spring......then I'm screwed....

Thanks again!

Thanks folks! I'll ask them about the dryer and orfice tomorrow. It was doing this before the compressor change out, but got better when I added freon. When they checked it Friday it was like 1 ounce low which shouldn't have made a difference. Problem is, it's dropping to the 30's tonight and only in the 70's tomorrow.....fall has hit and I'm afraid they're not going to be able to "evaluate" it properly until hot weather next spring......then I'm screwed....

Thanks again!

it was doing it before---that's why I suggested the temp blendoor operation also.

I had the same problem in my 2005 F150, and in my 2006 F150. The problem that I found was that the a/c was cycling on the high pressure switch. I had the a/c looked at in both several times, and the ford lot always said it was within perimeters. I have since sold both. The problem was never repaired in either truck. I don't think there is anything you can do besides jack with the charge. Once I messed with mine a bit, I was able to get it to cool better while moving lots of air across the condenser, but at idle or at a stop, it would continually cycle on the high press control.

Chris

I have a 2005 F150 super crew lariat. The A.C. has been poor since I bought the truck new. I complained when it was still under warranty, but they always told me it was "with-in" spec. After warranty the compressor stsrted making a clicking noise which got louder and the air temp got warmer until I got fed up. I replaced the compressor with a meridian, and the receiver dryer and orfice tube. I flushed the system with A.C. cleaner and evacuated the system before adding the freon.

The A.C is back to about what it was when I bought the truck (not too good). I had a lot of bits on the orfice tube and suspect that the condensor (front of rad) may have been and is still contaminated with some type of stuff, my reasoning is that if the contaminants were from the comprrssor, they would maybe get lodged in the condensor tubes. I know pieces can travel, but the debris looked like paper. I'll try to post a picture.

post-26908-087849100 1286234751_thumb.jpg

post-26908-087849100 1286234751_thumb.jpg

Better pic(s) of orfice tube. And one of the Meridian. Larger pulley is gonna be a little slower than the stock one and maybe not flow as much at idle in traffic, in so florida. If I had to do the system again I would probably remove everything including the evaporator core, mixing door, and the condensor. That's all I have to offer. It works O.K., but not near as good as my wife's Fusion Hybrid, or our 140K Suburban, or my relic 2000 chevy silverado with 138K miles (Original A.C. will freeze you)

post-26908-055913000 1286235011_thumb.jpg

post-26908-022151900 1286235052_thumb.jpg

post-26908-028044000 1286235082_thumb.jpg

post-26908-055913000 1286235011_thumb.jpg

post-26908-022151900 1286235052_thumb.jpg

post-26908-028044000 1286235082_thumb.jpg

Better pic(s) of orfice tube. And one of the Meridian. Larger pulley is gonna be a little slower than the stock one and maybe not flow as much at idle in traffic, in so florida. If I had to do the system again I would probably remove everything including the evaporator core, mixing door, and the condensor. That's all I have to offer. It works O.K., but not near as good as my wife's Fusion Hybrid, or our 140K Suburban, or my relic 2000 chevy silverado with 138K miles (Original A.C. will freeze you)

I HAVE BEEN IN THE A/C REPAIR BUSS. ALONG TIME WITH THIS MUCH TRASH ON THE ORIFICE YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE CONDENSER AND INSTALL A COMPRESSOR WITH THE RIGHT SIZE PULLEY and make sure you charge it with a digital charging machine that has a 1/2 oz accuracy at the end of the hoses and vacuum's and charges with out the car started 428cj

I HAVE BEEN IN THE A/C REPAIR BUSS. ALONG TIME WITH THIS MUCH TRASH ON THE ORIFICE YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE CONDENSER AND INSTALL A COMPRESSOR WITH THE RIGHT SIZE PULLEY and make sure you charge it with a digital charging machine that has a 1/2 oz accuracy at the end of the hoses and vacuum's and charges with out the car started 428cj

Yeah, you make good points. I had to do the job in haste because I had to go away for work for a few months and had only a couple of weekends to get the truck prepped. Did the dreaded spark plug change and brakes in that time also. I would have gotten the correct compressor clutch/pulley (time permitting) and may do that in the future and do the condensor at the same time. I did use a digital scale to weigh the freon and I have decent gauges and vacuum pump. I went to a.c. auto classes a long time ago but I'll be the first to admit that I only know enough to be dangerous! The original question stands though. "Why are there so many complaints about poor a.c. in this particular year and model F150. I have read several posts on a couple of forums and no one has really pinned it down. Is it a poor combination of factors/parts? It works O.K. so I'll leave it until next time it quits!

Here's one more behavior for you to consider.......I'm cruising along at about 75 on the interstate with the a/c fan on "1" and the temp coming out of the vents is about 47 degrees. I reach down and crank the fan up to 2 and the temp goes up. When I notice it I crank it up to 4 just to see what happens. In a couple of minutes, the temp coming out of the vents is 52 degrees.....what gives?

You're pulling more cold air from the evaporator than the ac can produce so it's def. not cooling properly.You need to check the compressor clutch on/off cycle times.One often overlooked problem is restricted air flow in the condensor fins.Look for dirt and debris and not just on the front side. I'm talking on the back side of the condensor and front of the radiator where you can't see it.This usually involves tipping the rad. back or the cond. forward to see it.Use a garden hose and some degreaser to flush it out.I can't tell you the number of ones i've cleaned that was overlooked simply because you can't see it in there.

Archived