TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 2nd Gear Grind Poll

Radical08

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm interested to see how many out there have this 2nd gear grind problem and how many have been in the shop. I'm not sure how to install the poll in here though

after some initial issues,im fine at 4,000 miles on my 2010

Put me down as one of the grinders. I have finally got in touch with a dealership familiar with the problem, but the car that is getting the fix now in there dealership has parts backordered until Nov. 2. Hopefully there is a fix in my future.....

My car has been in the dealership for 27 days and the final part just came in today. The main shaft was a big issue in getting. I can't believe we can't get American car parts that are made in the USA faster.

Still waiting. Svc manager said all parts should be shipped by Oct 18. Haven't heard how long it takes once all parts are in.

Engineer said if entire tranny were replaced, chances are better than 50% that the new tranny would have the same problem. Same engineer made a call and found out that the parts were indeed not available through the depot but that they were also not available for the plant. He speculated that there's probably a design change to address this problem for production forward. Keep in mind that is pure speculation.

I have posted on my grind under full torque up hill story.

Someone suggested pulling the stick a certain way, not sure about that since the gates control the shift pattern.

I'm 46, spent 23 years in the military driving all sorts of vehicles including large '60's trucks that required double cluching and I never had problems.

I would not have expected this wide spread issue. This is not like the unpainted axle, which I have, that has nothing to do with driving capabilities or the performance of the car.

I can honestly say with my varied expierince, it has nothing to do with my shift.

There is something amis with the tranny going into 2nd under hight torque situations. However, I have yet to experience grind downshifting to 2nd.

No problems with mine.

From what I hear, you either have the problem or you don't. Someone posted on another board that the N2MB WOT Box cleared up their grind problem. If the problem persists after she's "fixed" I'll probably give that a shot and see if it works.

No Grinding here, Had my friend of my drive it and he had the grind once, told him to pull towards him not straight down and no problem. I have not had the grind at all, am now at 2500 Miles and no grind even at 6000 RPM's. I hope it never comes, and I hope Ford come to the table for those who have the problem

Below are the executive office contacts at Ford in Michigan. I emailed them and got quick

response. They are now looking at why the parts are taking too long to obtain, why the dealers

are not doing more to get the parts such as asking Ford for help and an Engineer was informed

there is a 2nd gear grind issue that he never heard of, at least that what he said. He is supposed

to look in to it. If your car is in for this repair you need to email these people and get some fires

lit or your car will be gone for a month or more waiting parts. I hope the parts fix the problem, but

I'm not convinced about that. Start contacting Ford and maybe they will do something about this

problem. The direct line to one contact that called me is 313-845-6232. They will want your Vin.

The reason you go those emails was for private use. Not to give out to the world on Team Shelby. Keep it in the PMs. They know about the 2nd gear grind issue. I told the plant engineer when I was on the phone with him and Lynn about my clutch. Then again the plant engineer thought I used drag slicks at the track and I was on street tires so he couldn't even read my posts right. I'm glad they are looking into it for you and didn't try to blame you for the problem like they did me.

With that said my car has the 1-2 shift issue since day one. I just had my second OEM unit installed and will have to put some miles on it before I can test it. It was pulled off the line last week. For what it's worth I did not have the issue with my McLeod RST Clutch and Flywheel.

No problem here. A little over one year old and about 3,100 miles of moderate to hard driving.

No Problems with mine, 2010 GT500, 1,400 miles. Moderate to hard driving.

The reason you go those emails was for private use. Not to give out to the world on Team Shelby. Keep it in the PMs. They know about the 2nd gear grind issue. I told the plant engineer when I was on the phone with him and Lynn about my clutch. Then again the plant engineer thought I used drag slicks at the track and I was on street tires so he couldn't even read my posts right. I'm glad they are looking into it for you and didn't try to blame you for the problem like they did me.

My thinking on providing info for others is to get this out in the open because Ford is acting like there is no issue. All they cared about was if I needed help in obtaining a part. That is only the half of it. After talking with 3 different people up there and Engineer is asking about this grind problem. Maybe if more people voice issues they will do something. The problem is not everyone knows where to go. I want to help ensure this is corrected and no one else has to deal with this like I/we are. They would not pull any part or transmission off the line for me. Also I don't think I want a transmission off the line because it may have the same issue. Maybe when they rebuild it it will solve the problem. I don't recall what part is was but one of them has a different part number now, so makes me wonder do they already know about this. I think it's a synchro issue specifically. Anyway just trying to help all out. I have over 30 years of power plant Engineering experience military and civilian, with mechanical equipment and I can tell you if my car was not under warranty I would be doing it myself and I would have replaced the transmission with a upgraded one that was built by a professional and be done with it. I hate dealerships and all all the bs that goes with them. My 2008 Shelby GT with a 550hp Whipple has never seen the dealer and never had an issue so someone needs to see what is up with these GT500s. They are supposed to be top of the line but I'm not convinced now that I own one. I will say if this, if the grind happens again I will use the Florida lemon law and this car will be gone and not replaced by another GT500.

Uh oh. Mine started off grinding, progressed to rejecting and ended up at no synchros in 2nd gear.

I took it to the dealer. They called Ford and were told to pull the trans. I told them about all the threads on the subject and even the parts that people were having replaced. I wanted them to order the parts before I took my car in. They said they couldn't and I told them there is no way in hell my car is going to sit there for weeks waiting for parts. So I guess I will just wait until spring, Ill be parking it in the next few weeks anyway.

I called customer service and they said they know nothing of a problem or a parts shortage.

I took it to the dealer. They called Ford and were told to pull the trans. I told them about all the threads on the subject and even the parts that people were having replaced. I wanted them to order the parts before I took my car in. They said they couldn't and I told them there is no way in hell my car is going to sit there for weeks waiting for parts. So I guess I will just wait until spring, Ill be parking it in the next few weeks anyway.

I called customer service and they said they know nothing of a problem or a parts shortage.

For me it's either sit parked at the dealer until the parts come in or drive around without being able to shift into second. No fun in that so there she sits.

If your dealer knows nothing about the backorder situation that means they haven't fixed this tranny lately.

For me it's either sit parked at the dealer until the parts come in or drive around without being able to shift into second. No fun in that so there she sits.

If your dealer knows nothing about the backorder situation that means they haven't fixed this tranny lately.

Yes, another point of concern for me. My dealer has never been inside a TR6060, and they have sold two this year and both have been taken in for the same issue.

I have had the issue since day one. I have 17k on the car now with no change. You can hard shift at high RPMs, but you have to HAMMER second.

I have no problem down shifting or hitting 3rd on a hard shift. I have read on other forums that the issue is due to the gear ratios in 2010 models. I was a ford mechanic for 20 years so I know dealerships, I will not take my car in until they have a fix - AND - the tech doing the work has done it before!

Archived