TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Floor Vent Broken?

Ezareth

Anyone confirm when they tun the vents on the floor they are getting a noticable level of air?

My car is sitting in pieces with no battery in it so I can't check but....

There are two "doors" in your HVAC system. A "Blend door" and a "Mode door". The Blend door blends hot air (from the heater core) and cold air (from the AC Evaporator) to give you "warm" air, how ever cold/warm/hot you command it via the temp setting.

The "Mode door" changes which vent or vents the air will come out of. Windshield/defrost vents, dash vents and/or floor vents.

If no air is coming out of the foot vents it may be that the "mode" door is either stuck (something dropped down the WS vent will fall into the mode doorway) or not moving all the way for some reason...or not moving at all. The doors can either be vacuum controlled (with a vacuum motor) or electicaly controlled (with a DC motor). If your air exhaust changes from your WS defroster to your dash vents but not to your floor vents, the mode door IS WORKING, just not working all the way (if NO air at your feet).

You may be able to see the control arm for the mode door either on the inside under the dash or on the outside at the heater box (most modern cars are inside). Check to see if there is a vac. hose disconnected or if you can 'rattle' something in the heater box by smacking the box and listening for something in the box moving/bouncing. You may need to remove your glove box to get a GOOD view of the door controlls.

WARNING: If you take it to the dealer and they find a pencil or something like that in the heater box, they will most likely charge YOU for the repair. Your warranty is against defective parts and/or workmanship, not against the owner losing something down the defrost vent!

IF you have a nice dealer or are on their good side they will code it under warranty and cover it that way (they get ~75% of customer pay on warranty work).

HTH,

Phill

Just want to check and make sure it IS broken before I take it in but when I turn my controls to floor I do not feeling ANY air blowing out, the fans are blowing but no air is coming out.

Normal vents, defroster and mix of those two work fine.

Anyone ever heard of this before?

If I put mine on floor only there is a ton of air blowing out...just like it was the dash vents. I think you should get it looked at.

• 4 weeks later...

My car is sitting in pieces with no battery in it so I can't check but....

There are two "doors" in your HVAC system. A "Blend door" and a "Mode door". The Blend door blends hot air (from the heater core) and cold air (from the AC Evaporator) to give you "warm" air, how ever cold/warm/hot you command it via the temp setting.

The "Mode door" changes which vent or vents the air will come out of. Windshield/defrost vents, dash vents and/or floor vents.

If no air is coming out of the foot vents it may be that the "mode" door is either stuck (something dropped down the WS vent will fall into the mode doorway) or not moving all the way for some reason...or not moving at all. The doors can either be vacuum controlled (with a vacuum motor) or electicaly controlled (with a DC motor). If your air exhaust changes from your WS defroster to your dash vents but not to your floor vents, the mode door IS WORKING, just not working all the way (if NO air at your feet).

You may be able to see the control arm for the mode door either on the inside under the dash or on the outside at the heater box (most modern cars are inside). Check to see if there is a vac. hose disconnected or if you can 'rattle' something in the heater box by smacking the box and listening for something in the box moving/bouncing. You may need to remove your glove box to get a GOOD view of the door controlls.

WARNING: If you take it to the dealer and they find a pencil or something like that in the heater box, they will most likely charge YOU for the repair. Your warranty is against defective parts and/or workmanship, not against the owner losing something down the defrost vent!

IF you have a nice dealer or are on their good side they will code it under warranty and cover it that way (they get ~75% of customer pay on warranty work).

HTH,

Phill

Thanks for info.

I had the dealer look into it when he changed my oil and he came back and said the tech said he checked the codes and checked it and it was working fine. I sat in it and could feel the air and was wondering if maybe I imagined the problem? The dealer said they didn't fix anything and that they wish they *could* have fixed something since they charged Ford for it so I took him at his word.

Well on the way home I could definately tell that air that was blowing unlike before where I could only feel a bare trickle of heat. I called the service manager and he agreed with me and said when I brought it in it seemed like he couldn't feel any air coming out either.

Either way it is documented and I'm storing my car for the winter soon and I really don't want them ripping my dash apart to fix something that isn't a big deal so I'll just keep an eye on it.

Thanks for info.

I had the dealer look into it when he changed my oil and he came back and said the tech said he checked the codes and checked it and it was working fine. I sat in it and could feel the air and was wondering if maybe I imagined the problem? The dealer said they didn't fix anything and that they wish they *could* have fixed something since they charged Ford for it so I took him at his word.

Well on the way home I could definately tell that air that was blowing unlike before where I could only feel a bare trickle of heat. I called the service manager and he agreed with me and said when I brought it in it seemed like he couldn't feel any air coming out either.

Either way it is documented and I'm storing my car for the winter soon and I really don't want them ripping my dash apart to fix something that isn't a big deal so I'll just keep an eye on it.

it may be the recirculating button---for me when its letting in outside air,theres less air coming from the bottom.When i hit the recirc button,more air comes in the bottom

Archived