TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone with Clutch TSB done in Bay Area?

txshavers

i have an 08 alloy w/ silver stripes. i took it to Walnut Creek Ford which is about 20 minute drive from Alameda. the service advisor was very friendly. The transmission master tech, jeff marsh, took a test drive of my car and immediately knew the clutch was slipping. he told me everything will be fixed under warranty and have order all the parts per the latest TSB. however, this was back on 8/26. i was told the parts are on back order. at the earlist, the parts will come in the week of 10/10.

This is the second recommendation for Walnut Creek Ford. I really appreciate your reply. I feel like my clutch is in the early stages of slipping, and I rarely get my car over 3k so I'm sure it's about that time. Hopefully they will honour the TSB. Someone on another forum recommended me speaking to Dan, which I'm assuming is one of the service advisers.

i have an 08 alloy w/ silver stripes. i took it to Walnut Creek Ford which is about 20 minute drive from Alameda. the service advisor was very friendly. The transmission master tech, jeff marsh, took a test drive of my car and immediately knew the clutch was slipping. he told me everything will be fixed under warranty and have order all the parts per the latest TSB. however, this was back on 8/26. i was told the parts are on back order. at the earlist, the parts will come in the week of 10/10.

just got a call today that my clutch parts all came in today, as per TSB 10-3-8, my car should be ready tomorrow afternoon.

just for your FYI, the slippage symtoms i experienced were, 1.) the point where the clutch is engaged moved up much higher, almost to the point where the clutch pedal was only about an inch from where the clutch is totally released, 2.) while in 3rd or 4th gear, if the supercharger is starting to boost, the rpm immediately goes up, but, the car did not pick up any speed. i was able to consistently replicate #2.

I'm starting to experience the second symptom exactly as you are describing it, especially in 4th gear. Let me know how your install goes.

If you don't mind, would you be open to sharing your service advisor, and could I let him or her know that you recommended me to them? You can share all of this over PM if you like.

just got a call today that my clutch parts all came in today, as per TSB 10-3-8, my car should be ready tomorrow afternoon.

just for your FYI, the slippage symtoms i experienced were, 1.) the point where the clutch is engaged moved up much higher, almost to the point where the clutch pedal was only about an inch from where the clutch is totally released, 2.) while in 3rd or 4th gear, if the supercharger is starting to boost, the rpm immediately goes up, but, the car did not pick up any speed. i was able to consistently replicate #2.

Thanks man..Good luck with the install!

my slippage symptoms started in 4th, then, both 3rd and 4th. i'm sure it will do for all gears if i did not take it in. as for the service advisor, George Smith. He's got tattoos all over his arms and neck. a cool guy. tell him Ron send you.

• 1 month later...

Quick update..

Took the car over to WC Ford yesterday, as the clutch is just about toast. Got the OK from the service advisor that the parts would be ordered. Got a call this morning saying that he needed me to authorize them to tear down the transmission so that an inspector could to an examination before the work would be "approved" Basically he said the tear down would run me 600.00 and if the inspectors approves the replacement then it would be waived. If it's not approved then I would have to pay the 600.00 for the replacement which is a hell of a lot better than a couple of grand. Sadly this car has never been driven past 2500-3000 rpms since it's my DD, so the mods on my car shouldn't be the root cause of this issue. The advisor says there's like a 1% chance that it won't get approved but still a bit nervous.

Thanks man..Good luck with the install!

Quick update..

Took the car over to WC Ford yesterday, as the clutch is just about toast. Got the OK from the service advisor that the parts would be ordered. Got a call this morning saying that he needed me to authorize them to tear down the transmission so that an inspector could to an examination before the work would be "approved" Basically he said the tear down would run me 600.00 and if the inspectors approves the replacement then it would be waived. If it's not approved then I would have to pay the 600.00 for the replacement which is a hell of a lot better than a couple of grand. Sadly this car has never been driven past 2500-3000 rpms since it's my DD, so the mods on my car shouldn't be the root cause of this issue. The advisor says there's like a 1% chance that it won't get approved but still a bit nervous.

They looked past all my mods for the warranty fix that I had done. I wouldn't worry about it too much. WC Ford was good to me.

Yeah the service advisor George didn't seem too concerned, so I'll just wait and see. So far I'm really loving the customer service at WC Ford.

They looked past all my mods for the warranty fix that I had done. I wouldn't worry about it too much. WC Ford was good to me.

So just got a call from the dealership. The inspector has looked at the transmission and took some pictures for Ford to review. Not sure why they are going through all of this for something they know is a common problem with these cars. How can the inspector tell if the root of the problem is from the TSB or just plain abuse of the car?

Not sure. George didn't mention anything about the mods, nor was he concerned after it was tested. I can somewhat understand that Ford doesn't want to be installing new clutches on cars that have been abused, but I'm going to be pretty pissed if my claim gets rejected, since my car is pretty much babied since it's my daily driver. George told me not to worry about it, but with Ford, anything is possible.

good luck. i did not have to have my transmission examined at WC Ford. i wonder, if it is because you had mods on your car when you brought it in.

Yeah so far he's been awesome. Never asked any questions about my mods or anything. Just gave the car to Jeff and verified the clutch was toast. Ford just making him go through the hoops. If this pans out, I will have no problem driving from Alameda to have my car serviced over there.

How is your new clutch holding up? I've heard that it shifts so much smoother than the original.

i'm sure it would not be a problem. From my experience working with George, he seems to be a straight up guy. for whatever reason after my TSB was done, my alignment was off. i had to take the car back to get the alignment adjusted. George simply took care of it without any issues.

I bought my car from WC Ford in March of 2008. My first service with them was not a good experience. I then moved to Marin and took it to Novato Ford. At the time they had a great tech named Justin that worked there. I complained about hard shift's into 2nd gear. One test drive with him and it was in for the clutch TSB. Of course my car was bone stock then. Now I am having issues again and moved back to the East Bay. My car has been modded since much like yours as it relates to the power adders. I baby my car too and don't track it or race it. I am concerned about whether or not they are going to still honor the TSB. We'll see. I spoke with George and he seems to know quite a bit about these cars and is pretty cool. He did not work on my car there before.

Anyway, it is odd that they are going to such lengths regarding the transmission. Makes me nervous. Keep us posted and good luck.

Jim

Well from what I can tell, George is going to do whatever he can to get them to approve the work. He did say that worse case is, that I only pay for the transmission tear down if Ford won't approve, which is better than the full price. It would be one thing if the only cars having issues were modded, but it's showing up on many stock cars as well.

I bought my car from WC Ford in March of 2008. My first service with them was not a good experience. I then moved to Marin and took it to Novato Ford. At the time they had a great tech named Justin that worked there. I complained about hard shift's into 2nd gear. One test drive with him and it was in for the clutch TSB. Of course my car was bone stock then. Now I am having issues again and moved back to the East Bay. My car has been modded since much like yours as it relates to the power adders. I baby my car too and don't track it or race it. I am concerned about whether or not they are going to still honor the TSB. We'll see. I spoke with George and he seems to know quite a bit about these cars and is pretty cool. He did not work on my car there before.

Anyway, it is odd that they are going to such lengths regarding the transmission. Makes me nervous. Keep us posted and good luck.

Jim

So claim was denied this morning, cause Ford says it's just a worn out clutch. I worn out clutch from a daily driven, shift at the little orange arrow, $50,000 POS. I thought that maybe my extended warranty would help but it didn't., and on top of that, the 600.00 was just to have the transmission torn down and put back together, so I'm basically going to need to shell out the full price for the parts and labor which I don't have cause we are trying to move, due to a new addition to our family. I have the number to the claims department at Ford with my claim number so I'm going to call and plead my case which probably won't do any good.

So claim was denied this morning, cause Ford says it's just a worn out clutch. I worn out clutch from a daily driven, shift at the little orange arrow, $50,000 POS. I thought that maybe my extended warranty would help but it didn't., and on top of that, the 600.00 was just to have the transmission torn down and put back together, so I'm basically going to need to shell out the full price for the parts and labor which I don't have cause we are trying to move, due to a new addition to our family. I have the number to the claims department at Ford with my claim number so I'm going to call and plead my case which probably won't do any good.

txshavers,

That sucks! Good luck on the appeal.

Thank you. I've contacted SVT and they just said to call Ford Customer Service and the GM of the dealership which I have. My car was built on Aug of 2007 so it falls in line with the affected vehicles, and my TSB warranty expired on Sept of 2010 so I could be screwed. Had I driven the car harder I would have noticed the issue sooner and had it in,

txshavers,

That sucks! Good luck on the appeal.

*UPDATE*

So after speaking to the Service Manager, and Regional Rep, I was able to get Ford to pay everything except for 327.00. I have to say that if you are ever having issues you can count on Walnut Creek Ford to stand by you. The listened and understood my position and basically went to bat for me with Ford. So parts are being ordered and should be back on the road late next week.

Thank you. I've contacted SVT and they just said to call Ford Customer Service and the GM of the dealership which I have. My car was built on Aug of 2007 so it falls in line with the affected vehicles, and my TSB warranty expired on Sept of 2010 so I could be screwed. Had I driven the car harder I would have noticed the issue sooner and had it in,

*UPDATE*

So after speaking to the Service Manager, and Regional Rep, I was able to get Ford to pay everything except for 327.00. I have to say that if you are ever having issues you can count on Walnut Creek Ford to stand by you. The listened and understood my position and basically went to bat for me with Ford. So parts are being ordered and should be back on the road late next week.

txshavers,

That's great news! I'm out in the Diablo Valley, so I'll keep WCF in mind if I have any issues with my 10. Thanks for the update.

*UPDATE*

Txshavers,

congratulations on getting Ford to pay for the repair. Jeff in WCF will take good care of the clutch install. Then, you have to take the time to get used to the feel of the new clutch, plus, break-in the new clutch properly.

Thanks man.

Yeah I'm really happy Ford stood up and did the correct thing here...George said they had never had an inspector down to approve warranty work, so hopefully it won't happen to someone else. I haven't met Jeff yet., but I'm confident that he will indeed a great job on the install. WCF has definitely earned a new customer, and I don't mind driving from Alameda to have my car serviced there.

Txshavers,

congratulations on getting Ford to pay for the repair. Jeff in WCF will take good care of the clutch install. Then, you have to take the time to get used to the feel of the new clutch, plus, break-in the new clutch properly.

That's horrible. I just had mine into Ourisman Ford in Alexandria, VA (I know this doesn't help you) and Ford approved the replacement. I didn't even have 21,000 on the clutch because I already had the 2008 TSB performed on it. Ourisman called Ford and had to send photos, but Ford authorized warranty replacement. How many miles did you have? I was under 21,000 at about 19 months since the new clutch and flywheel were installed.

Archived