TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fuel Level Error

Mulanzo

Hello..

I just recently finished installing the Shelby autographed passenger airbag cover and to do the install I needed to disconnect the battery so the bag didn't pop in my face. I had a full fuel tank at the time. When I reconnected the battery, the digital readout displayed the level on the tank as WAY higher than it normally should. Usually it says about 360-380 km to empty on a full tank and it was saying 480 km to empty on the full tank. The fuel gauge (the dial not the electronic readout) is normal. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is this normal when you d/c the battery and then reconnect?

I'm thinking it takes a few drives to recalibrate the sensor but I'm not sure if I should bring it in to get looked at...

Hello..

I just recently finished installing the Shelby autographed passenger airbag cover and to do the install I needed to disconnect the battery so the bag didn't pop in my face. I had a full fuel tank at the time. When I reconnected the battery, the digital readout displayed the level on the tank as WAY higher than it normally should. Usually it says about 360-380 km to empty on a full tank and it was saying 480 km to empty on the full tank. The fuel gauge (the dial not the electronic readout) is normal. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is this normal when you d/c the battery and then reconnect?

I'm thinking it takes a few drives to recalibrate the sensor but I'm not sure if I should bring it in to get looked at...

Mulanzo...

It should eventually work itself back down to near accurate status. Depending on how much you drive the car it make take a long while. I briefly disconnected my battery and the same thing happened. I probably took at least a month to get back to normal. It should be fine.

The quick and easy fix is:

Disconnect the Negative (-) terminal on your battery.

Take the disconnected Negative (-) terminal and touch it to the Positive (+) terminal (that will discharge any capaciters).

Leave it disconnected for a while, just to be sure any residual power is drained off.

Reconnect the Negative(-) terminal to the battery post.

WITHOUT TOUCHING ANYTHING ELSE, turn your ignition key to the "on" position (NOT "start").

Watch your gauge needles. They will all jump up, then they will all reset to their natural positions.

TURN THE KEY OFF.

Restart your car and let it idle for about 15 minutes WITHOUT TOUCHING ANYTHING (other than pushing in the clutch to start it).

You may hear the idle change, get rough then smooth out, etc. DO NOT TOUCH THE GAS PEDAL.

This will allow your PCM to relearn the adaptive strategy parameters.

That *should* take care of your problem/s but now your windows won't "auto set". To reset your windows, push the switch to lower the window all the way down. Hold the switch in the "down" position for at least 10 seconds. Do the same for the Pass. side.

Phill

Archived