TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HP increase economics

Torched10

I have gotten a price of $4800 installed by Ford of the TVS upgrade that results in 605HP. From talking to some local Gt500 owners, sounds like just a pulley change would get me close to that for alot less money.If I have Ford do the TVS theyll honor my extended warranty---from this forum it looks questionable whether Ford will warranty drive train if I just do a pulley.Im not a gearhead,so dont know other downsides of just a pulley.Eg, understand boost with a pulley gets above 13psi--does that push the SC too much over the long term, does it put stress on anything else that might not like the higher pulley speed.Any suggestions,observations would be appreciated---bob

If you have the scratch to go with a TVS, I'd say do it and let Ford warranty it. You can always throw a smaller pulley on it if it's not enough and I can almost guarantee you that if you have it retuned on a dyno by a reputable shop you'll get more than 605 HP. With a 2.6 upper on it you should be over 600 to the wheels.

If you have to take it in for service, just put it back the way they had it and you should be good to go.

Oh and if that's what you end up doing, don't post up on here about it.... :hysterical:

If you have the scratch to go with a TVS, I'd say do it and let Ford warranty it. You can always throw a smaller pulley on it if it's not enough and I can almost guarantee you that if you have it retuned on a dyno by a reputable shop you'll get more than 605 HP. With a 2.6 upper on it you should be over 600 to the wheels.

If you have to take it in for service, just put it back the way they had it and you should be good to go.

Oh and if that's what you end up doing, don't post up on here about it.... :hysterical:

+1 this.

A BIG +1 to this! :angry22:

If you think just putting a pulley on your stock blower is going to put you on par with how a TVS feels, you haven't driven a TVS-equipped GT500.

TVS makes MUCH more torque, especially down low. You are not going to pick up 10 MPH in the 1/4 mile with a pulley swap on a stock blower. The other thing is, you can always add a pulley to a TVS...

As for warranty... People have been hammering on these GT500's with all kinds of combos. A TVS upgrade isn't going to stress your motor. It's a perfect upgrade, they should have put this blower on these cars in the first place.

I'm very happy with how my car performs with the TVS. It was a easy install and I get 24.5 MPG on the highway.

I race my car at the dragstrip. I post videos of it. I love Ford. I love the car they built for us. If I break it, I'll fix it.

If you think just putting a pulley on your stock blower is going to put you on par with how a TVS feels, you haven't driven a TVS-equipped GT500.

TVS makes MUCH more torque, especially down low. You are not going to pick up 10 MPH in the 1/4 mile with a pulley swap on a stock blower. The other thing is, you can always add a pulley to a TVS...

As for warranty... People have been hammering on these GT500's with all kinds of combos. A TVS upgrade isn't going to stress your motor. It's a perfect upgrade, they should have put this blower on these cars in the first place.

I'm very happy with how my car performs with the TVS. It was a easy install and I get 24.5 MPG on the highway.

I race my car at the dragstrip. I post videos of it. I love Ford. I love the car they built for us. If I break it, I'll fix it.

While I agree with you that a TVS isn't going to stress the motor. As far as Ford is concerned anything outside of the stock setup makes warranty support dicey. Not all of us race these cars and one for fun day at the track can lead to a large bill.

If you have the scratch to go with a TVS, I'd say do it and let Ford warranty it.

I agree with PistolWhip on this. Take the sure route and have all the paperwork in line so if there ever is a problem, you'll be covered. I know it's a lot more money right now..but if at all possible, that's what I'd do.

Hmmmm.....yes......one can wonder if the '12 GT500 will have the TVS? :headscratch: That would be nice...... :happy feet:

It just seems like so much for so little--its like $80/hp if the 605hp number is right. On the stress question,what i meant to say,does just a pulley put lots of stress on the stock supercharger,and other parts of the driveline,such that they' deterirtae over time in an acccelerated way.Thanks for all the inputs

It just seems like so much for so little--its like $80/hp if the 605hp number is right. On the stress question,what i meant to say,does just a pulley put lots of stress on the stock supercharger,and other parts of the driveline,such that they' deterirtae over time in an acccelerated way.Thanks for all the inputs

The one thing a pulley swap does do is create more heat which is why I went with the dual fan heat exchanger.

Isn't the 2010/2011 kit rated at 650 horsepower? Lethal lists the 2011 official Ford Kit as being 660. I think the 605 was was for 2007-2009.

I love Ford. I love the car they built for us. If I break it, I'll fix it.

I wish more Americans had that attitude.

Isn't the 2010/2011 kit rated at 650 horsepower? Lethal lists the 2011 official Ford Kit as being 660. I think the 605 was was for 2007-2009.

The FRPP 2010 TVS kit is rated at 660 hp. I've yet to see an official FRPP TVS 2011 offering.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11288

Yes. The difference is that on the '07-'09 they had a larger pulley on the TVS out of the box. With the addition of knock sensors on the '10-11' cars they went to a slightly smaller pulley on the TVS for those cars along with a more aggressive tune.

If the price is scaring you off, look for a used TVS. They are out there. Also remember you can do this yourself, a TVS install is EASY. No fitment issues whatsoever.

Yes. The difference is that on the '07-'09 they had a larger pulley on the TVS out of the box. With the addition of knock sensors on the '10-11' cars they went to a slightly smaller pulley on the TVS for those cars along with a more aggressive tune.

If the price is scaring you off, look for a used TVS. They are out there. Also remember you can do this yourself, a TVS install is EASY. No fitment issues whatsoever.

MY TUNER SAID WITH WHAT I HAVE WITH THE PULLEY / JOHN LUND TUNE AND CJ TB ( 588 RWHP ) ; A TVS would not give much more hp or performance.My next mod will be a whipple once I CAN GET EVEN THIS POWER TO THE GROUND, THAT IS THE BIGGER ISSUE.

the price isnt scaring me off,its just that I always like to make the best "business" decision, and the payoff just doesnt seem to be there if the pulley is close.Manintaing my extended warranty is a big factor as well, so if the dealer actually puts in writing he'll warranty my car just like the factory warranty,ill probably go that way

MY TUNER SAID WITH WHAT I HAVE WITH THE PULLEY / JOHN LUND TUNE AND CJ TB ( 588 RWHP ) ; A TVS would not give much more hp or performance.My next mod will be a whipple once I CAN GET EVEN THIS POWER TO THE GROUND, THAT IS THE BIGGER ISSUE.

t-o-r-q-u-e

What kind of trap speeds do you usually get in a 1/4 mile?Just wondering?

I wish more Americans had that attitude.

The FRPP 2010 TVS kit is rated at 660 hp. I've yet to see an official FRPP TVS 2011 offering.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11288

WOW!!! thats the link i was looking for--the other links i found had it at 605----660 is a whole new ballgame--thanks again

the price isnt scaring me off,its just that I always like to make the best "business" decision, and the payoff just doesnt seem to be there if the pulley is close.Manintaing my extended warranty is a big factor as well, so if the dealer actually puts in writing he'll warranty my car just like the factory warranty,ill probably go that way

Well, there's lot of opinions out there. You'll have to decide for yourself what works best for you. Maybe a ported stock blower and a pulley would make more sense. Get one of Justin's 2.59 "stock look" pulleys and your dealer probably won't notice it anyway...

WOW!!! thats the link i was looking for--the other links i found had it at 605----660 is a whole new ballgame--thanks again

Just a friendly reminder- Don't get too wrapped up in "RHWP" as the sole deciding factor. Torque gives you that S.O.P feeling and you get more of it with a TVS than you will with a stock blower that's just being spun faster. Some of these guys toss around "dyno numbers" as gospel and then when you see them at the dragstrip they aren't getting the kind of results you would expect from the claimed dyno numbers. Always remember- A dyno sheet had NEVER won a drag race. :salute:

For my money I would consider the whipple as well. FRPP sells the whipple kit and it's only a few bucks more then the TVS. There are advantages and disadvantages to the whipple versus the TVS but simply put the whipple is a better bang for the buck as I believe it's 750 horsepower for a couple hundred more then the TVS.

The downside is you lose the factory warranty. To me that doesnt matter because if you live in Canada and you upgrade your supercharger even if it's done through Ford you lose ALL warranty. TVS or Whipple it doesn't matter, your warranty is completely gone. I'm not sure why it's like this in Canada but that's the situation. For my money I'd be all for the Whipple...more horsepower, and the sound....I love the whipple sound.

Archived