TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Challenger SRT8 - 2010 Shelby GT500

6.1hemi

I have been living with my 2009 Challenger SRT8 for for 14 months and my 2010 GT500 for 9 months now. The SRT8 is not a Pony car. It never was. It is large, heavy, and ordered mine with the 5 speed auto and a 3:08 limited slip rear.

I feel that the 3:08 rear end really hurt this car. It is a muscle car, normally aspirated 372 cu inch motor with 425 HP. It is heavier than a 383 Plymouth Satellite but yet is faster in the 1/4 mile. It is extremely comfortable and rock solid,handles like you would never believe for a full size auto like this. I love the sound of the exhaust, (MBRP cat back), it is true to the old MOPAR heritage.

I was disappointed with the off the line acceleration from day one. I can only describe it as dragging an anchor. There is a lot of black magic in Chrysler's Torque management. I purchased a Diablo tunner, put an oil catch can on it, fabricated a "real" cold air intake from the front spoiler relocated the ambient intake temp sensor, 180 Tstat, and swapped out the 3:08 for a MOPAR 3:73 LSD rear. I tuned the car with data logs, and with the 91 OCT tune I can bracket race this thing all day long in 88* heat with 12.8X's @ 110 MPH in the 1/4 mile. It is as consistent as the sunrise now that I have corrected the factory generics.

The car is Hemi Pearl Orange with black.

It is a wonderful auto and will have a place in auto talk history.

I believe we are near the end of the classic Muscle-Pony Era. (Electric cars will be wicked fast but not my cup of tea. I'm am 60 and was raised in gasoline ally in NJ,) I need the fumes. Where I grew up my best buddies all had Mustangs. Bruce had a 67 GT with a swapped out 427 side oiler, Tom had a brand new 68+1/2 drag pack Lime Green 428 Cobra Jet. He bought it brand new and with 4 weeks had a new cam, manifold, long tube headers, Carb and really fast time slips @ Island Drag way. We also use to stop the traffic on the New York Thruway in Rockland county NY to run for money with full slicks and open headers. We had folks with flares to stop the traffic so we could race for money. Bruce Springsteen would be jealous. You could never do that today, you would be on CNN live shot.

My last Ford Performance car before this Mustang was a 1962 Ford Galaxy 500 Starliner with a Tripower 406.

My 2010 GT500 is a dream come true for me. Grabber Blue. I don't feel like 60, so I still have the need for speed. So far very minor Mods, Dual oil catch cans( used to blow smoke all the time on start up like it had bad valve guides). No more smoke , no more oil in the intake. Jason's 2.6 Pulley, with tune, and that's it. Thanks Jason for the easy install with your pulley and tool!

My Grabber is a serious tool. I see a lot of complaints about the tires and traction on the forum. You can't have it both ways, Get a separate set of wheels and tires for the track and keep the stock set to handle the car like a go-Kart for the street.

This car is amazing. I live in NC now in the sticks and can do blasts to 120 MHP on the back roads all day long. It is so tight, so quick, so satisfying. With the factory Tires and wheels I poop my pants flying around tight turns powering through the apex. It is more car than I will ever be driver. Just rowing through the gears through town, spanking from a stop light, or throwing it hard left and flooring it in 2nd gear on my favorite on ramp keeps my arteries cleaned out.

With my 18" Factory look alike wheels and Nittos 555R's I crank off 11.9X's @ 120 MPH @ the 1/4 mile with no suspension mods. That's with a crappy 1.9X 60' time in 88* heat. With real slicks and UCA and LCA's, a good HE, I know I have an 11.4 GT500.

I just wanted to type some junk cause I am having some beers and I really like cars.

For some reason I was never a Chevy Guy. Don't know why, Nothing against GM. I owned a 1986 Buick Grand National for 23 years but never really cared for Chevy's so I never considered the new Camaro.

As for the future, I an interested in a Whiple 2.9, new HE, suspension work and some real slicks for the spare 18' wheels.

The SRT8 is finished, I have a consistent 12,8 bracket racer,

I don't post much but read the forum every day. I love to see where the explorers have taken the GT500, 600 700,even 800 RWHP.

A word of wisdom for the new stock GT500 owners, don't believe all the inflated numbers from just a tune and pulley. A realistic expectation for a good tune and 2.6 pulley like Justin's is around 50-60 RWHP. Some other sites are saying 100-125 Hp. This is not realistic. I can say you will really really feel the 50HP difference and it is well worth the price.

Beers all gone now. Off to the hayloft.

post-26835-066975800 1285473127_thumb.jpg

post-26835-066975800 1285473127_thumb.jpg

Great post.

I have my GT500 with the 2.8 Mammoth which is my absolute favorite but I also have a Procharged Pontiac GTO and Wednesday I just got a 2009 Challenger SRT8 6 speed manual. All are black. Detailing nightmare...LOL

Loaded a Predator tune in the Challenger to get rid of the 1-4 shift and wake up that Hemi.

I just love all muscle cars. I think Dodge really nailed it with the Challenger for marrying the older retro look with the current technologies.

Oh, and right now... I do have a beer. :hysterical:

Great post.

I have my GT500 with the 2.8 Mammoth which is my absolute favorite but I also have a Procharged Pontiac GTO and Wednesday I just got a 2009 Challenger SRT8 6 speed manual. All are black. Detailing nightmare...LOL

Loaded a Predator tune in the Challenger to get rid of the 1-4 shift and wake up that Hemi.

I just love all muscle cars. I think Dodge really nailed it with the Challenger for marrying the older retro look with the current technologies.

Oh, and right now... I do have a beer. :hysterical:

Not sure what makes me more jealous now, your cars or your beer... ;)

John, you going for black wheels on the Challenger like your others?

I don't think so right now.

I really like everything about the car the way it is. I do have an Eibach Sportline kit I may put on it but it's already lowered nicely and the ride is awesome so I may just leave this one alone.

However, I just found this so what do I know.

DSC00383.jpg

That picture of the shelby and the challenger really shows how much bigger the Challenger is! Still, I like the look of the challenger, it is a proper looking muscle car.

I read somewhere that next years challenger would have a 6.4 hemi "392" with 475 HP.

That should help performance some.

Well, I will say, this Blue Moon is going down nicely. :happy feet:

Here's some pics of the kids

6965973-1-5-0e2922e3.jpg

IMG_3465-Edit.jpg

1-Shelby_01.jpg

Nice cars!! We must have fallen off the same tree because I owned a 2005 GTO also.

Here is a picture:

http://www.dragtimes.com/2005-Pontiac-GTO-Pictures-5185.html

Mine was black, but it was pure stock though.

Here is my 1986 Buick Grand National

http://www.dragtimes.com/1986-Buick-Grand-National-Pictures-5589.html

I love black cars but they are hell to keep clean. One trip down my gravel road and it's time to wash it.

Nice to see the love!

Nice cars!! We must have fallen off the same tree because I owned a 2005 GTO also.

Here is a picture:

http://www.dragtimes.com/2005-Pontiac-GTO-Pictures-5185.html

Mine was black, but it was pure stock though.

Here is my 1986 Buick Grand National

http://www.dragtimes.com/1986-Buick-Grand-National-Pictures-5589.html

I love black cars but they are hell to keep clean. One trip down my gravel road and it's time to wash it.

Nice to see the love!

That's awesome. :happy feet:

That picture of the shelby and the challenger really shows how much bigger the Challenger is! Still, I like the look of the challenger, it is a proper looking muscle car.

I read somewhere that next years challenger would have a 6.4 hemi "392" with 475 HP.

That should help performance some.

Yeah and I think I read they may be a bit more fuel efficient too.

Good post, takes me back. I'm in your age bracket and grew up in NJ also (exit 16a on the turnpike.) Hess 93 was 36.9 cents a gallon. Had a Plymouth GTX, fast as hell but the body fell apart. I always was a Mopar guy until the GT500. Chrysler made progress with the current Challenger with 390 gears and 6 speed. I'm hearing the new 392 will have MDS. That will be a step back IMO. Why would anyone want a 6.4 with cylinder deactivation? When I owned my Charger everyone was shutting it off with the Predator. Still, a great looking car.

Just traded a 09 Challenger SRT for a GT500 this past weekend and haven't had time to compare yet but will soon. That beer must have been pretty good (lol),the Challenger comes with a 3.06 rear.

Hey Bigsnake, Welcome to the forum. I remember you from the challenger forum. Yep Beer was good. That is even worse (but not much) 3:06 rear. Really worke up the car swapping that for the 3:73.

I am sure you will love your GT500 as much your SRT8. One of the big differences is the power potential available with the stock internals.

Both cool cars.

Best of luck with your new Pony.

Hey Bigsnake, Welcome to the forum. I remember you from the challenger forum. Yep Beer was good. That is even worse (but not much) 3:06 rear. Really worke up the car swapping that for the 3:73.

I am sure you will love your GT500 as much your SRT8. One of the big differences is the power potential available with the stock internals.

Both cool cars.

Best of luck with your new Pony.

Thanks for the welcome and yes I did some moderating on a Challenger forum but now I'm looking forward to enjoying this beast and when it stops raining around here will put some break in miles on it. !

Archived