TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Narrowing stock rims

SkyPilot

I had a brand new pair narrowed by Weldcraft from 9.5" to 6". I was really hoping for 5 to 5.5" but 6" is the best they could do. They called me before proceeding and warned me that they could be burned during the process. Sure enough, they melted the lip on one rim in a couple of places. Not too noticable, but if you're a stickler for details or you show your car, you might not like it. I put some M&H front skinnies on and the rims look just a tad too wide. Cost was $235 per wheel. If I were to do it over, I would have just saved the coin for some custom or racing wheels.

check out this guy.

Home PageServicesTestimonialsAbout UsContact Us

Eric Vaughn MachineAluminum Wheel Widening and Narrowing

Home Page

Located on the West Coast in Southern California

111 N. Myrtle Ave. Monrovia, CA 91016

For more specific info, call Eric at Vaughn Machine:

(626) 358-6413

Copyright 2008-2010. Eric Vaughn Machine. All rights reserved.

http://www.ericvaughnmachine.com/Home_Page.html

I had a business trip that put me 20 minutes from Eric Vaughn's shop-HE'S DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw a bunch of wheels he is working on and if you need anything custom he can do it if anyone can. It turns out he has lots of blank cut offs from other wheels. The five degree taper we have since our wheels are cast limits us to about two inches of narrowing if he is to put the same rim back together with the same parts. But by using one of his blanks (which are actually new cutoffs from forged rims he has laying around from another job) he can mix and match to get close to whatever you need. The only difference is that the back of the rim has a different type of lip since it started life as part of a forged rim so it takes a different type of tire weight if you use a tap on weight on the inner lip. Thanks, Mark

I talked with Weldcrafters and the way they narrow the rim more than two inches is they install a 1/4 inch adapter ring to take up the space in the diameter difference and then weld across it all. That seems to be why they get so much heat that they burn/melt the powder coat. I sent my wheel to Eric yesterday-we'll see how it comes back.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my rim back from Eric. One word says it all-AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful welding, NO clear coat damage. His work gets my highest recommendation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark ... you'll have to get a Photobucket account to post some pictures!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived