TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Trend: 2011 Shelby GT350 First Drive

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll admit, I must have been misinformed somewhere along the way in that I thought/heard some people were saying this car would be a bit of a disappointment... umm.... I must have TOTALLY drempt that!

This article left me slack jawed and thinking of all the things I could sell to get $63k cash. Whats a kidney going for these days? My new goal in life is to own one of these someday. Everyone that orders one new... take great care of them so when one of you sells it, I can BUY IT!! Unbelievable. I hope the news is this good when they finally hit the street. BTW, HAVE any hit the street yet?

Theres a wild rumor that maybe next week will be the week.......................................maybe.!!

I don't know what information is out there, but I have moved to the stance of not holding my breath or counting on anything said to me to that effect. The car may be all horse, but all I keep hearing is hat... :hilarious:

It sure would be nice if SA started releasing the cars this week but I have heard this story before.

whatever................

i guess i'll pick it up in april or may when i can actually drive it home (and at home) and keep the $$$$ invested until then.

750.00 more than the 525HP.

Scott, I hear a lot of people raise concerns, but Ford Racing did 100 hours of acceleration testing without incident, and while I can see aftermarket vendors selling super chargers well past the engine's threshold, I dont see Ford doing it.

Ford also "supposedly" did extensive testing on the twin-disc clutches on the 500's before going to production!! :roll eyes in disbelief:

:bag:

Ford also "supposedly" did extensive testing on the twin-disc clutches on the 500's before going to production!! :roll eyes in disbelief:

:bag:

Your right, the guys at Ford Racing are Bozos and don't have a friggin' clue what they are doing...

• 2 weeks later...

What size tires are they putting on this buggy? I have to say that on the face of it, the numbers don't seem to add up. Is it really possible for the suspension to account for such a huge performance difference between the GT500 and the 350? Would like to see a road test of the 624 HP version.... Given that the car MotorTrend tested was a prototype, will the actual production versions be that fast? If so, then this car is in supercar territory which is awesome!

I'm just dying to know what takes the 350 above-and-beyond the 500 in acceleration. I can certainly appreciate how its bespoke suspension would help it hold laterally - especially with the same type of F-1 G: 2 track shoes. Does the Coyote/FR Blower combination push-through torque more uniformly than the GT500's stock supercharged 5.4L ? Does it the 350 use a special (higher) rear axle ratio or different rear tire diameter than the GT500's 28"?

I know your confusion guys. :salute: I have a GT500 with 600+HP, and the EXACT SAME suspension. And the GT350 624HP is sooooo much faster it is silly.

Is it the car, the weight, the tires, the engine, the supercharger? Maybe a combination? I really dont know, but the difference is truly night and day.

I can honestly say after driving them both so much now, I have a new favorite Shelby. :happy feet:

If you have 70k to spend on EITHER a Super Snake or a GT350 R, there is flat out no comparison. It all comes down to Drag vs. Track or Street.

I know your confusion guys. :salute: I have a GT500 with 600+HP, and the EXACT SAME suspension. And the GT350 624HP is sooooo much faster it is silly.

Is it the car, the weight, the tires, the engine, the supercharger? Maybe a combination? I really dont know, but the difference is truly night and day.

I can honestly say after driving them both so much now, I have a new favorite Shelby. :happy feet:

If you have 70k to spend on EITHER a Super Snake or a GT350 R, there is flat out no comparison. It all comes down to Drag vs. Track or Street.

It sounds like whether you're talking drag or track, the new 350 leaves the SuperSnake in the dust (literally). A year or two back, one of the major car mags, in summing up a test comparison, referred to the 2010 SuperSnake as a dyno queen. The new 350 only further adds weight to that opinion....

Well, there's really only 3 places for it to happen - traction (linear), grip (lateral) and how it makes torque available. The GT500's 5.4L favors the higher end of the rev range, meaning there's always a deficit to "get through" before maximum torque and horsepower are handed-off to the transmission. It seems the Coyote may be more willing even at lower revs, making it quicker to 60 and more balanced throughout the rev range.

A terrific example is EcoBoost. Getting past the fact that Taurus SHO and Flex saddle it with the burden of hauling a skyscraper, its torque curve pretty-much leaps to the ceiling from 1,500 RPM - and anybody who's driven one knows the remarkable acceleration it provides IMMEDIATELY. Sure, the engine only puts out a maximum of 365hp, but it's able to deliver all those ponies and feet pounds amazingly efficiently at any given point.

I certainly don't have any more technical knowledge that would allow me to tell my backside from a hole in the wall, but it seems to me the 5.4L is making hay of simply having a larger displacement, whereby the 5.0L seems to be a generational leap forward altogether in almost every respect - and one that's only going to get better once direct injection and other ready-to-go improvements are unleashed on the market. It's sledgehammer versus scalpel - and but not for the marketing agendas that may be driving them, Ford could and should have simply made the GT500 a supercharged version of the 5.0 GT.

This year had a LOT of moving parts to guess at that made choosing the best overall product harder than ever. The more I read and come to experience, the more I'm convinced the 5.4 L is operating near the maximum of its potential and the 5.0 has been deliberately retarded.

This is easily the highest review of any new Shelby I've ever read. Most non-Mustang oriented mags haven't seemed to oogle for many of the previous models. But they've mostly been falling all over themselves with the new 5.0 for awhile now, so I guess this shouldn't be a huge shock.

So what accounts for the much better numbers - what makes this car so much different from the stock GT, aside from all the obvious bling? FRPP shocks/springs/sway bars/blower, Borla exhaust, and Goodyears? Are coil-overs and a watts link still an option or has that been canned?

So what accounts for the much better numbers - what makes this car so much different from the stock GT, aside from all the obvious bling? FRPP shocks/springs/sway bars/blower, Borla exhaust, and Goodyears?

Is that not enough difference from the stock GT for you? Don't forget the ludicrously over-the-top ground effects kit.

With the GT350 being SO much quicker (even than the 2011 GT500 SuperSnake), Unless there's a gearing change throughout, it HAS to be about better torque from the blown Coyote at the lower rev range - and torque throughout the balance of the rev range that's comparable with the 5.4.

The suspension differences between a 350 and a 500 with SVTPP isn't likely to have THAT much of a difference in transferring the power to the road, BUT the one factor that MAY play a role is rear tire diameter. The GT500 makes the 3.73 axle available ONLY in conjunction with the 3.73 axle, a combination SVT claims to be neutral with the 3.55 and a 27" diameter in terms of acceleration.

It's really left me wondering about a LOT of things, the merits of the SVTPP in particular. There's no question the uber sticky tires add one hell of a lot of lateral grip, and they're the same type used on the GT350. There's no doubt the SVTPP adds a huge amount of handling improvement, particularly for track-oriented driving.

But I'm starting to think the SVTPP was designed to be a mass-market package that may improve a lot of aspects of the car, but none of them being particularly stellar - kind of like a bank CD whose yield is better than savings account interest and guaranteed no matter what, but there are one hell of a lot of more potentially lucrative investments out there to be had for those willing to do the work and take the risk.

I have a feeling, once there's been enough data to compare, the results will show that the SVTPP may have been a good value for your average Shelby owner who likes to go fast, but not necessarily get his hands greasy or make a lot of trips back and forth to the FR shop - but he may find he's cut himself off at the knees by virtue of a lot he may have locked himself into - or that he's going to have to undo later (and at risk of warranty penalty) to get to a baseline he can once again build upon.

The wheels and tires are good example. They're incredibly light and sticky, but only in warm weather - and they're HUGELY expensive no matter how you look at it with sizing limitations that lock you in, period.

Just my $.02

This is easily the highest review of any new Shelby I've ever read. Most non-Mustang oriented mags haven't seemed to oogle for many of the previous models. But they've mostly been falling all over themselves with the new 5.0 for awhile now, so I guess this shouldn't be a huge shock.

So what accounts for the much better numbers - what makes this car so much different from the stock GT, aside from all the obvious bling? FRPP shocks/springs/sway bars/blower, Borla exhaust, and Goodyears? Are coil-overs and a watts link still an option or has that been canned?

The first 100 GT350s are equipped with Eibach coilovers. Fay's 2 Watt's Link is a factory option.

The 2011 Mustang platform has a lot more chassis stiffening and a Z brace connecting the unibody to the K member.

Another enhancement is the close ratio 6 spd.

I will find out first hand as soon as I get the call that mine is ready!

Is that not enough difference from the stock GT for you? Don't forget the ludicrously over-the-top ground effects kit.

Thanks for your input. I'm sure the folks that have this car on order here appreciate that you think their new car looks like sh_t.

Thanks for your input. I'm sure the folks that have this car on order here appreciate that you think their new car looks like shit.

While I believe opinions (good or bad) are what makes this site, and ultimately Shelby better, I agree that a little more tact and/or respect would definitely be in order.

That said, I disagree with those that discount the looks ("ridiculous" body kit). For the record, I don't like how this cars looks keep getting "categorized" as a body kit. Like it's some kind of tuner car or something. Or it's a STALKER body kit... (yeesh) As far as I can tell, every recent iteration of Shelby has had a "body kit" on it. All a body kit is, is a front/rear fascia and maybe slightly different side skirts. And looking at the pic in the site header... it grows on me more and more every day. It's REALLY not that crazy, I mean really. It's the Shelby-esque low center opening (ala original GT350) and some small light holes. What so crazy about that? They had to make it look different somehow? I DO disagree with the center exhaust decision, but it's still not a deal breaker for me (my wallet is). They could have just left the GT500 body on it and just "called" it a GT350... I'm sure some folks would have had some gripes about that.

Frankly, considering some of the rumors I've been hearing and personal experiences with Shelby over the past 18 months... I'm mighty impressed they put such a fantastic car together. I mean say what you say, but when Motor Trend is gaga over a Mustang... they did something right.

I love the car and I envy all those that have one on order. I hope to "second-hand" one in the coming years. Sounds like the performance will be best in class and possibly best Mustang ever... and I mentioned I like the looks right?

The first 100 GT350s are equipped with Eibach coilovers. Fay's 2 Watt's Link is a factory option.

The 2011 Mustang platform has a lot more chassis stiffening and a Z brace connecting the unibody to the K member.

Another enhancement is the close ratio 6 spd.

I will find out first hand as soon as I get the call that mine is ready!

I'm going to have to find a 5.0 to inspect one of these days I think, just to have a look at all the changes made to the 11's. That's very cool to hear that the first 100 units come with coil overs. That was an option that I was hoping didn't disappear.

I'm awfully envious of you Mike! I can't wait to see your car up close. I'm sure the wait is killing you, but hopefully it just means that everything will be perfect right out of the gate.

Thanks for your input. I'm sure the folks that have this car on order here appreciate that you think their new car looks like sh_t.

As or whether I happen to believe it "looks like shit", I trust anybody who has paid his hard-earned is secure enough in his own wants and needs for whatever I may happen to think to not matter one little bit - even if I had written what you implied rather than what I actually wrote.

I'd also suggest nobody's opinion, no matter what it happens to be, could ruin anybody else's purchase for them unless he wasn't fully reconciled with his decision. If it could every Mustang owner's lower lip would quiver whenever a Camaro or Challenger pulled alongside.

If that's what I meant to write, I would have written so - in so many words. Whatever your personal opinion may happen to be, kindly refrain from attributing to me things I didn't write. That's what Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg are for.

As or whether I happen to believe it "looks like sh-t", I trust anybody who has paid his hard-earned is secure enough in his own wants and needs for whatever I may happen to think to not matter one little bit

You're right on that count. I have just grown weary of people coming onto the GT350 forum and beating the same old dead horse over and over again.

The "body kit" discussion is worn out.

The end result is the customer's satisfaction with THERE purchase.

This car is a world class performer, with no rear brake upgrade and the 525 HP tune. The numbers tell the story. Some just can't handle the fact that they do not have the big dog! Or there is a NEW "big dog" to be had for less than they have in their purchase or their purchase and self installed upgrades.

And there will be another, new "big dog". Newer, better, faster, etc. the top dog will always be displaced.

We thank our customers who support the brand and are confident they will throughly enjoy their choice of selecting the 2011 Shelby GT350. :salute:

It's a great car!

Roger

I was torn between ordering a 2011 GT500 or waiting for the GT350. I finally decided for the GT500 as I personally don't like the looks of the GT350. I wont say "body kit" but it just doesnt seem right to be and has a semi add on look. Now with that said, the article clearly shows what a true performance machine the GT350 and how superior it is regarding handling and acceleration to not only the GT500 but almost every other performace car in the tangible working mans car market. Adding to the fact that it is what I consider to be a true Shelby.....ie...built at SAI. This car will surely have a demand and a value for years to come. Those with one one order will be some happy campers when they finally get their keys!!!! CONGRATS!!!!

Some just can't handle the fact that they do not have the big dog! Or there is a NEW "big dog" to be had for less than they have in their purchase or their purchase and self installed upgrades.

And some lay quietly in wait knowing that they indeed do have the big dog, wondering all the while what to do with the $20,000+ that they still have left over to play with...

IMG_7633.jpg?t=1288453786

IMG_7661.jpg?t=1288453263

IMG_7735.jpg?t=1288453863

Coyote powered S197's sure are cute though!

:P

Archived