TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Race between 2010GT500 and 2011 5.0

CSY

First off, I love the new 5.0 and now want one for my company car/everyday driver:D, but I would never replace my 2010 GT500, GB.

I was wondering how a race of 0 -150 mph would go or even 0 - 170 mph if they weren't speed limited. This is where I think the GT500 would really shine and soundly beat the 5.0. I'm so impressed how hard my 500 pulls to 140 (fastest so far).

What to you guys think, would it be close?

Having owned both, I can clearly say the GT500 would be way out front. Some kind of race to 100+ would be pointless. The GT500 has 130 more HP. Above 70 is when that extra power really shines. Now, if you said a race from 0-60 or so, I'd be inclined to say it's more of a toss up as the 5.0 really launches hard and plants the tires much better than the GT500. I haven't driven an '11 GT500, so that my be a whole different ballgame.

I'd have to find my timeslips to compare 660' and 1/8th mile times, but I bet they're pretty close up to that point.

Having owned both, I can clearly say the GT500 would be way out front. Some kind of race to 100+ would be pointless. The GT500 has 130 more HP. Above 70 is when that extra power really shines. Now, if you said a race from 0-60 or so, I'd be inclined to say it's more of a toss up as the 5.0 really launches hard and plants the tires much better than the GT500. I haven't driven an '11 GT500, so that my be a whole different ballgame.

I'd have to find my timeslips to compare 660' and 1/8th mile times, but I bet they're pretty close up to that point.

I agree. To add to that I spent the better part of a day behind the wheel of my friends 2011 GT/CS with a M6 and 3.73's and it was much easier to launch consistently than my GT500 is. But that said I've dusted off a couple of 5.0's in short 1-2 gear runs. I ran my wife's 2010 GT 4.6 automatic convertible at the track against a 2010 GT500 that had a bad launch and had him beat at the 1/8th, by 3/4 track he blew by me. A holeshot and better traction can make a big difference in a short sprint. An easy launch and roll on the throttle in first makes a big difference in getting a street tire equipt GT500 out of the hole. Lots of practice. The GT500 pulls like a beast if you can plant the power.

Archived