TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Tires for Track???

09 Red GT500

Are the KR tires good road course track tires? I'm currently using the stock tires, but I plan to upgrade when these are worn out. $400 for a set sounds like a good deal, but are they a significant improvement over the stock tires? Or would I be better off spending more money and upgrading to a different tire?

I sure hope the KR tires are good at the road course track. I just bought a set for that reason. I have recently been looking for tires for the track and was convinced that I would have to widen my rear wheels at Weldcraft to get wider tires (305's or 315's) for better traction. I was looking at the Nitto NT-01's (315/30zr18) for the rears. These tires require a 10.5" wheel. I then started looking at the cost involved with widening the rear wheels & buying the tires & wondered if there was a better way with using my stock gt500 wheels as is. I began looking at the KR tires on the shelby store site & became intrigued. I mean, they are KR tires. Mr Shelby would certainly put the best tires on the KR, right? These tires do have some kind of secret compound by Goodyear that's supposed to make them stickier.

I decided I trust Mr. Shelby to put a damned good tire on the KR & if it was good enough for him, it would be good enough for me. So when I saw the sale for $400 for all four, I bought them on faith alone. To tell you the truth, my stock GT500 goodyears felt real good to me at the road course. I'm no expert, in fact it was the first time I've ever been on the road course but I felt completely comfortable around the corners with my tires with 8000 miles on them. The tread on the rears is really thin but they held up good anyway.

I would like to hear from some more experienced road course racers as to their opinion.

That's sarcasm regarding the KR and the best, right? They are just a tad better but certainly not the best tire out there. It is more likely Goodyear/Ford/Shelby had an agreement of some sort. They are cheap though but don't be expecting to tell much of a difference between those and your stockers.

• 10 months later...

goodyear makes a good drag slick they also make a good race tire for cup cars but for street tires im not impressed with the supercar tires that come stock. the kr tires are a little better only feedback from testing will tell.ive been racing a long time road corse/ nascar modifides/ and front engine 7 sec dragsters with over 1000 hp .it has goodyears .im going to thunderbolt racetrack in nj on the 24th and 25 th i just purchaced a new set of boss wheels and pirelli p zero tires for my 2010 gt500 i will let everyone know how they work out or not .

• 6 months later...

I run Nitto 01 tires 275x40 all around on my KR on road course with great results. Have run with stock KR tires also and cut seconds off my time with Nittos. Bought some new rims and keep the tires mounted on these and just switch out after running. Also take the stock tires along in case it rains since NT01s not great in the wet. Or, just run Nitto 555s all the time and use for road racing and regular daily drivers.

Archived