TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dyno Run!

The first of a couple of pulls, (best was 460hp/428tq), at VMP Tuning after the Edelbrock install. Stock pulley, (5 psi), Ford Racing CAI, 93 octane.

Dyno

Sam

Congrats on the numbers !!! I like that you went a different route than others.

Do not be a follower only a leader

Daniel Boon

Really nice Sam - especially considering it's only 5 lbs of boost! Cooler weather around the corner, it'll get even better.

Was that all with the stock Edlebrock tune or did Justin tweek it a little?

Oh yea, Justin definitely tweeked it! The stock Edelbrock tune didn't have near the throttle response and smooth power curve, (more "boggy" until about 2-2500 rpm). Edelbrock's was a Diablo set-up and according to Justin, had some "funny" parameters, so he pulled that one out and started fresh.

Hope the cooler weather is close - the heat and the love-bugs are unbearable!

Sam

Oh yea, Justin definitely tweeked it! The stock Edelbrock tune didn't have near the throttle response and smooth power curve, (more "boggy" until about 2-2500 rpm). Edelbrock's was a Diablo set-up and according to Justin, had some "funny" parameters, so he pulled that one out and started fresh.

Hope the cooler weather is close - the heat and the love-bugs are unbearable!

Sam

Did you make any cam and head changes or is everything beside the supercharger stock? The reason I ask is that i am considering the NA route and will be adding the FRPP Hot Rod Cams and changing the heads, However, it does not rule out the addition of a SC in the future.

Nice Numbers!

Wow, those are great numbers at the wheels. My Edelbrock, with the stock tune and factory airbox was 401HP and 399TQ, I was thinking of putting my Ford Racing CAI back and getting a 93 octane tune from Brenspeed... you may have just sold me. Unless of course, your guy can sell me the tune. Let me know?

Jim

Wow, those are great numbers at the wheels. My Edelbrock, with the stock tune and factory airbox was 401HP and 399TQ, I was thinking of putting my Ford Racing CAI back and getting a 93 octane tune from Brenspeed... you may have just sold me. Unless of course, your guy can sell me the tune. Let me know?

Jim

Young768: No other engine changes - stock except for supercharger, GT500 dual fuel pump just to be sure of fuel flow.

Jim: I had to put the stock airbox on just to get the car running as it would bog down with the Edelbrock Diablo tune and CAI. The CAI performance tune definitely wakes it up! As for selling you the tune, you should probably just email Justin and ask. (Of course it will also require an SCT tuner to download it into your car). I think his email is: Justin@vmptuning.com, but you should probably go to the website and verify that.

Sam

Thanks Sam, I sent Justin an email, I hope using your name and car as an example was alright. I'm pretty excited, what was the noise difference in the Edelbrock by switching to the Ford CAI? What kind of wheels and tires do you have and how hard is it to get that power to the ground? Thanks again Sam,

Jim

Thanks Sam, I sent Justin an email, I hope using your name and car as an example was alright. I'm pretty excited, what was the noise difference in the Edelbrock by switching to the Ford CAI? What kind of wheels and tires do you have and how hard is it to get that power to the ground? Thanks again Sam,

Jim

Jim,

There is definitely more "whistle" than with the stock airbox and I think even the exhaust note changed a bit - I had previously deleted the mufflers with SLP Loudmouth pipes. I'm running 10" wheels on the back with Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR tires (275/40). Before the tune, I could spin the tires, but with slight difficulty - after the tune, she really wants to break loose, especially in 2nd! Mostly I think I just need to re-learn how to drive with this power level!

I'm sure Justin will remember, but you can give him a hint that I was the idiot with the white SGT/Edelbrock charger that he tuned on Wednesday afternoon, (Sept. 15)!

Sam

NIce results!

Was this with the base kit pulley as well (3.8 in)??

Do you have a dyno chart as it would nice to see it??

Mine is going in on Friday for an updated tune after installing the 3.5 in pulley, GT500 pumps and CAI. I should be north of 450RWHP as well and now I can't wait for Friday to get here!!

Pardon my ignorance, but is this 460 HP rear wheel or flywheel?

Thanks!

There are no dumb questions! This would be rear wheel HP. If you've watched some of the speed shows on TV, many of them have the engine Dyno'd while out of the car, THAT is "at the crank" or flywheel HP. Because my engine is in the car and is spinning the Dyno through the drive train with the rear wheels, then it's reading rear wheel HP.

There are some formulas to determine flywheel HP from a rear-wheel dyno, but I think most folks agree that there is a 5-15% loss of power through the drive train. This would mean my engine is developing closer to 500 HP at the flywheel.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Sam,

I received the SCT tuner today and started pulling the stock air box to put my Ford Racing CAI back on but ran into a problem. The elbow from the throttle to the CAI is too small for the FR CAI, how did you make it work? Or is there a special elbow I need to buy? Thanks!

Jim

Now that the gallery is working again, here ya go:

med_gallery_13043_1123_91235.jpg

And yes, that was the stock pulley!

Jim - let me know how it works out for you! Hope your numbers look like mine, (or better!)

Sam

What do those two graphs at the bottom represent ? I thought those were Air/Fuel ratio(bottom) and boost(second from bottom). If not, what are they ?

I loaded the file and took it for a 3 mile drive, all I have to say is HOLY FRICK!

It is night and day from the stock Edelbrock tune. Justin at VMP is waiting for me to do some data logging (once I fugre it out), then he can add 2 degrees of timing which he says will improve the performance even more. It is very impressive and I'm very thankful to you Sam, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Jim

I loaded the file and took it for a 3 mile drive, all I have to say is HOLY FRICK!

It is night and day from the stock Edelbrock tune. Justin at VMP is waiting for me to do some data logging (once I fugre it out), then he can add 2 degrees of timing which he says will improve the performance even more. It is very impressive and I'm very thankful to you Sam, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Jim

Jim,

Woo Hoo! Glad it worked out for you! Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on the intake tube - warming helps, but a "hint" of dish soap worked for me!

Oh, and I need to point out something here I failed to mention about hood clearance and the CAI: Look carefully at the driver's side of the hood - if it's bulging upward, you may need to make an adjustment to the CAI, or trim the rubber intake tube about 1/2 inch, or possibly replace the filter (as I ended up doing) with one that is slightly shorter - or all three!

When I was ready to leave VMP, I closed the hood, but noticed the bulge. It appears that the Edelbrock intake tube + CAI, forces the CAI and it's box to tilt outwards/upwards, mashing the filter between the hood and inner fender. Once I got home, I performed all three of the above described modifications and now the hood fits flush with the fender. I had originally purchased the shorter filter, (I don't have a part number at the moment), from Justin over a year ago as a spare for the FRPP one that came on the car. I never noticed it was about 1 inch shorter than stock, but in this case, it provides the necessary clearance between hood and inner fender so that the filter doesn't get "squashed"!

Oh, and don't thank me, thank Justin!

Sam

What do those two graphs at the bottom represent ? I thought those were Air/Fuel ratio(bottom) and boost(second from bottom). If not, what are they ?

Kurgan,

Of the lower two graphs, boost is the top one. My pulley is the stock, 5 psi pulley that came on the charger, but I can't tell you (and neither could Justin) why the boost crept up to 9+ in the high rpm range.

The bottom graph was supposed to be - unless I misunderstood - fuel pump duty cycle, which in this case was reading around 13% (really loafing for a dual fuel pump set up).

I probably should have paid more attention when Justin was explaining it to me, but I was a bit blown away by the HP/TQ numbers!

Sam

Kurgan,

Of the lower two graphs, boost is the top one. My pulley is the stock, 5 psi pulley that came on the charger, but I can't tell you (and neither could Justin) why the boost crept up to 9+ in the high rpm range.

The bottom graph was supposed to be - unless I misunderstood - fuel pump duty cycle, which in this case was reading around 13% (really loafing for a dual fuel pump set up).

I probably should have paid more attention when Justin was explaining it to me, but I was a bit blown away by the HP/TQ numbers!

Sam

Ok just wanted to make sure that wasn't an Air/Fuel ratio of 13+ on a blown car lol. That is strange about the boost creep.

Archived