TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Took a 2011 GT500 for a test drive

Whammer

This is the 2nd time I've taken one for a test drive. Both and the SVTPP, the one I took out today also had the glass roof.

The car drives very, very well. I'm very impressed with the feel and handling of the 2011's.

I got out on a quiet country highway and opened it up. I was doing 140mph in almost no time flat! I could not believe how much power this car has, definitely seems like a lot more than my 2008. I could've pushed it a bit more to see how much faster I could get it going but didn't want to be too stupid and didn't want to abuse a car that's not mine.

Anyway, I was very impressed with it.

This is the 2nd time I've taken one for a test drive. Both and the SVTPP, the one I took out today also had the glass roof.

The car drives very, very well. I'm very impressed with the feel and handling of the 2011's.

I got out on a quiet country highway and opened it up. I was doing 140mph in almost no time flat! I could not believe how much power this car has, definitely seems like a lot more than my 2008. I could've pushed it a bit more to see how much faster I could get it going but didn't want to be too stupid and didn't want to abuse a car that's not mine.

Anyway, I was very impressed with it.

Yeah it should be night and day different than the 2007-2009 models.

How many miles were on it? I'm actually surprised you didn't say it felt sluggish. A friend has an '09 and he and his wife

test drove a new '11 vert. They felt his car was faster until I explained it to them about the 100 mile boost setting that only

allows partial boost until there are 100 miles on the car. When I test drove mine, my dealer explained that to me before

I test drove it..otherwise I would've been disappointed in it's performance. Now that I've got almost 300 miles on it, she hits

full boost and takes off like a damn rocket. I'll actually say without a doubt, this '11 Shelby is faster in every aspect than my '03 Viper.

Most Viper guys would argue, well, because that's what they do when something is faster. And God forbit, a 3700 lb Rustang

(as they call it) could beat what is, in their minds, the greatest car on earth :D)

As mentioned, the more I drive this car, the more I like it!

How many miles were on it? I'm actually surprised you didn't say it felt sluggish. A friend has an '09 and he and his wife

test drove a new '11 vert. They felt his car was faster until I explained it to them about the 100 mile boost setting that only

allows partial boost until there are 100 miles on the car. When I test drove mine, my dealer explained that to me before

I test drove it..otherwise I would've been disappointed in it's performance. Now that I've got almost 300 miles on it, she hits

full boost and takes off like a damn rocket. I'll actually say without a doubt, this '11 Shelby is faster in every aspect than my '03 Viper.

Most Viper guys would argue, well, because that's what they do when something is faster. And God forbit, a 3700 lb Rustang

(as they call it) could beat what is, in their minds, the greatest car on earth :D)

As mentioned, the more I drive this car, the more I like it!

There was only 25 miles on the car. There are other ways to have the boost safety removed that don't require driving it 100 miles.

Yeah isn't it like 50 starts or something? I can't imagine them starting it that many times to turn on the boost.

Straight out of the manual

Your Shelby GT500 power train control module (PCM) strategy contains

a feature to limit supercharger boost pressure and engine speed to

4,000 rpm for the first five consecutive miles of vehicle operation or 50

engine start/warm up cycles. This feature is enabled prior to shipment. If

neither of these conditions have been satisfied prior to customer

delivery, full power will not be available.

I'm surprised dealerships are allowing people to test drive these cars. I figured they'd be scared some idiot would take it for a test drive and do like 140 mph...wait a minute, that's what you did :hysterical: .

LOL!

Well I'm a very good customers of theirs (or at least that seems to be their opinion) and they let me take them out alone. Normal policy is that you can't drive the car yourself, the SVT mechanic drives the car and takes you for a test ride. But I guess once you buy one you're in the club!

Yeah it should be night and day different than the 2007-2009 models.

That's funny you mention that because I raced a 2011 SVTPP at SAAC 35 last August at Infineon and I absolutely blew him away on the straights....in my '08. Granted a I do have a tune, CAI and pulley, but it wasn't even close. Not to mention the straights are more like sprints from 2nd to 3rd gear. I might attribute some of it to driver error, but it happened twice. Anyway, I love the look of the car and what I've seen, but FWIW, I was not impressed by the raw performance.

^ I'd sure hope your 559whp 557wtq 08 with suspension, intake, pulley and tune would pull on a stock 2011 from 2nd to 3rd gear on the straights. What kind of "Raw Performance" were you expecting from a new stock car with close to 100whp less then your 560whp Griggs equipped 08 on a SCCA racetrack?

Straight out of the manual

Your Shelby GT500 power train control module (PCM) strategy contains

a feature to limit supercharger boost pressure and engine speed to

4,000 rpm for the first five consecutive miles of vehicle operation or 50

engine start/warm up cycles. This feature is enabled prior to shipment. If

neither of these conditions have been satisfied prior to customer

delivery, full power will not be available.

phhfffft.............. Owner's Manual; who reads the Owner's Manual?!

If I had a dollar for everyone who posted some bogus response for this topic, I could buy a new SVTPP with cash. I've usually just resigned myself to the fact that most people don't want to know the truth, they just want to make up something that sounds cool; like "first 100 miles" or "first 1000 miles" or " 'till you disconnect the battery"...........

Back to topic: I look forward to driving an '11 SVTPP myself. I am very curious how it measures up SOTP-wise to an '07-'09 OE suspension.

^ I'd sure hope your 559whp 557wtq 08 with suspension, intake, pulley and tune would pull on a stock 2011 from 2nd to 3rd gear on the straights. What kind of "Raw Performance" were you expecting from a new stock car with close to 100whp less then your 560whp Griggs equipped 08 on a SCCA racetrack?

I expected with the lighter weight and SVTPP suspension that it would have a little better performance than what I witnessed, that's all. Like I said, I like the car (of course because it's a Shelby), but I guess I was just expecting more.

That's funny you mention that because I raced a 2011 SVTPP at SAAC 35 last August at Infineon and I absolutely blew him away on the straights....in my '08. Granted a I do have a tune, CAI and pulley, but it wasn't even close. Not to mention the straights are more like sprints from 2nd to 3rd gear. I might attribute some of it to driver error, but it happened twice. Anyway, I love the look of the car and what I've seen, but FWIW, I was not impressed by the raw performance.

How could you race an '11 last August? Do you mean last month?

Either way I was talking about the handling difference, the difference between the 2007-2011s in the straights is easily bridged by a few mods.

I expected with the lighter weight and SVTPP suspension that it would have a little better performance than what I witnessed, that's all. Like I said, I like the car (of course because it's a Shelby), but I guess I was just expecting more.

Suspension not really going to matter in the straights, HP is going to be king there although he should have got a nose on you at the start with better tires (unless yours aren't stock).

I have to say I just took a bumpy as hell offramp from the expressway doing about 120 MPH on my way to work today, and by the time the ramp ended in (yellow) light I took the turn doing around 60MPH. Despite the car shaking like hell from so many bumps in the road it felt like I could have taken the turn harder and faster.

I love when people complain about the SRA in the GT500. I'd love to see the roads these people are supposedly driving on that make the IRS better because it doesn't get much worse than that offramp I just hit doing 60 and that's about as fast as I've ever taken a turn like that.

So let me get this straight....you are such a good customer of this dealership that they trust you to take the car out by yourself. And you test drive it 140 MPH? uh huh. :rolleyes:

Not really what sure what your trying to ask or imply?

Do you not believe they let me took the car out?

Do you think I'm not a good customer?

Do you think doing 140 is too much?

Regardless, I don't really care. I've taken 2, 2011 GT500's from this dealership out for a test drive (alone) and took another 011 GT500 out from another dealership (alone).

I suppose once you're in the GT500 club they just let you do those things.

How could you race an '11 last August? Do you mean last month?

Either way I was talking about the handling difference, the difference between the 2007-2011s in the straights is easily bridged by a few mods.

Yes, last month at SAAC-35. Coming out of turn 5 I was behind him and I then moved to the inside coming out of the turn, I punched it and passed him the first time quite easily. He must have been letting off. The 2nd time was all out and I still passed him pretty easily. Look I am in no way trying to put down the 2011 at all, but I am sticking up for the performance of the '07-'09 which occasionally take a beating in terms of weight, driveability, handling and power by the '10, '11 owners but more notably magazines. In the end they are all Shelby's and all great cars, IMHO.

Jim

Stock 08 and a stock 11 Gt500 would not be a race at all with equal drivers. Having owned all years of the GT500 07,08,09,10,and now a 11, I can tell you that the 11 in stock trim would hand an 08 in stock trim its a$$. Add 100 more rwhp to the 11 and you would have not passed him. Not only is the 11 faster and better balance because of better Aerodynamics it just drives better no wheel hop in the 11. Both cars with equal horsepower in a straight-line would be a drivers race as speed increased the 11 would have an advantage because of the better aerodynamics and the 120 pounds difference may make some difference but very little. I had a chance to race my 09 when I got the 10 and from a highway pull my 10 walked my 09. Both cars at the time were stock and the 11 feels faster than my 10 did, probably because of the 3.73 gears in the 11. Modified vs. stock is not a fair comparison. To put in perspective the difference in your cars power and a stock 11 GT500. A good example would be the horsepower difference in a 2011 Mustang GT and a 2011 GT500. Do you think the 5.0 would stay with the GT500 on a straight away I think not. Stock vs. Stock it's no contest the 11 would total dominate an 08 like yours in stock form. Modified as your 08 is a Stock 11 has no chances, but modify the 11 and the advantage goes to 11. If both cars had the same power it would be close in a straight-line but 11 would edge out the 08 because of better aerodynamics as speed increased.

Stock 08 and a stock 11 Gt500 would not be a race at all with equal drivers. Having owned all years of the GT500 07,08,09,10,and now a 11, I can tell you that the 11 in stock trim would hand an 08 in stock trim its a$$. Add 100 more rwhp to the 11 and you would have not passed him. Not only is the 11 faster and better balance because of better Aerodynamics it just drives better no wheel hop in the 11. Both cars with equal horsepower in a straight-line would be a drivers race as speed increased the 11 would have an advantage because of the better aerodynamics and the 120 pounds difference may make some difference but very little. I had a chance to race my 09 when I got the 10 and from a highway pull my 10 walked my 09. Both cars at the time were stock and the 11 feels faster than my 10 did, probably because of the 3.73 gears in the 11. Modified vs. stock is not a fair comparison. To put in perspective the difference in your cars power and a stock 11 GT500. A good example would be the horsepower difference in a 2011 Mustang GT and a 2011 GT500. Do you think the 5.0 would stay with the GT500 on a straight away I think not. Stock vs. Stock it's no contest the 11 would total dominate an 08 like yours in stock form. Modified as your 08 is a Stock 11 has no chances, but modify the 11 and the advantage goes to 11. If both cars had the same power it would be close in a straight-line but 11 would edge out the 08 because of better aerodynamics as speed increased.

I can't believe someone has bought every year of the GT500.

What did they change between the 2007-2009 models that made you want to upgrade every year? I can see the jump to a 10 and then maybe from a 10 to 11, but a 2007 to 2008?

:boggle:

Yes, last month at SAAC-35. Coming out of turn 5 I was behind him and I then moved to the inside coming out of the turn, I punched it and passed him the first time quite easily. He must have been letting off. The 2nd time was all out and I still passed him pretty easily. Look I am in no way trying to put down the 2011 at all, but I am sticking up for the performance of the '07-'09 which occasionally take a beating in terms of weight, driveability, handling and power by the '10, '11 owners but more notably magazines. In the end they are all Shelby's and all great cars, IMHO.

Jim

I love my 08, but it's not going to be much competition for the 011. That's just the nature of the car business. If they make a Shelby in 2015 I'm sure the 011 will be soundly beaten by it as well. The 5.0 GT is gong to hammer it's '10 brother and I don't think one '10 owner would argue otherwise. I suppose at some point we just have to be happy with what we've got....except Cobra32! He apparently can afford to upgrade every year ;)

Jim

Stick up for it all you want. I've driven my buddy's '09 stock and with an exhaust. Comparing both cars stock vs stock, an '11 will easily beat an '07 to '09. Your car has mods....so that fact and the fact that these cars respond so well to mods makes your arguement moot. Throw the

same mods on an '11 and again, your car would lose, just like it would've lost if it were stock...Don't get mad, I'm just sticking up for the '11's. :slapfight: :happy feet:

I love my 08, but it's not going to be much competition for the 011. That's just the nature of the car business. If they make a Shelby in 2015 I'm sure the 011 will be soundly beaten by it as well. The 5.0 GT is gong to hammer it's '10 brother and I don't think one '10 owner would argue otherwise. I suppose at some point we just have to be happy with what we've got....except Cobra32! He apparently can afford to upgrade every year ;)

Agreed. I love these cars and all years. I will say however that even if I had the financial means, I would never buy every model year. Just don't get that one :headscratch:

Stick up for it all you want. I've driven my buddy's '09 stock and with an exhaust. Comparing both cars stock vs stock, an '11 will easily beat an '07 to '09. Your car has mods....so that fact and the fact that these cars respond so well to mods makes your arguement moot. Throw the

same mods on an '11 and again, your car would lose, just like it would've lost if it were stock...Don't get mad, I'm just sticking up for the '11's. :slapfight: :happy feet:

I think my '08 stock could beat your '11 stock. :jackinbox: Kidding of course. Look, at then end of the day, I agree with everything you have said about the 2011 vs the 2008. I just thought that with his better tires and lower weight, despite my mods he would have given me a better run for my money. There was half of a turn involved too where he was in front of me until we neared the bottom of the turn and then not once by twice (as I previously mentioned) I pulled on him. If nothing else, we had a great time and great chat about the cars after the session. Maybe I'm just that good of a driver :hysterical: or the 2011 is just that slow :hysterical:

Stock 08 and a stock 11 Gt500 would not be a race at all with equal drivers. Having owned all years of the GT500 07,08,09,10,and now a 11, I can tell you that the 11 in stock trim would hand an 08 in stock trim its a$. Add 100 more rwhp to the 11 and you would have not passed him. Not only is the 11 faster and better balance because of better Aerodynamics it just drives better no wheel hop in the 11. Both cars with equal horsepower in a straight-line would be a drivers race as speed increased the 11 would have an advantage because of the better aerodynamics and the 120 pounds difference may make some difference but very little. I had a chance to race my 09 when I got the 10 and from a highway pull my 10 walked my 09. Both cars at the time were stock and the 11 feels faster than my 10 did, probably because of the 3.73 gears in the 11. Modified vs. stock is not a fair comparison. To put in perspective the difference in your cars power and a stock 11 GT500. A good example would be the horsepower difference in a 2011 Mustang GT and a 2011 GT500. Do you think the 5.0 would stay with the GT500 on a straight away I think not. Stock vs. Stock it's no contest the 11 would total dominate an 08 like yours in stock form. Modified as your 08 is a Stock 11 has no chances, but modify the 11 and the advantage goes to 11. If both cars had the same power it would be close in a straight-line but 11 would edge out the 08 because of better aerodynamics as speed increased.

loosing to an 11 or having an ugly but :headscratch:

I will take the loss

Agreed. I love these cars and all years. I will say however that even if I had the financial means, I would never buy every model year. Just don't get that one :headscratch:

I don't mind saying I'm in a huge state of confusion at the moment.

I REALLY do love my 08. I love the look of the 05-09 body style, but I've been looking at the 10-11 and the look has been slowly growing on me. Clearly the 011's (across all models) are one hell'va car!

The arrival of the Boss 302 has really got be interested!

I had been thinking of getting rid of my GT500 and getting a Boss.

The test drives I've had on the 011's have shown me the improvements that GT500's have made.

I think I'm suffering from a little too much information overload. And I'm suffering from too much negative press about the 07-19 GT500's. The cars seem to be made out to be huge overweight cars that handle like crap. Then I get behind the wheel of my 08 and think- this car doesn't handle that badly. Why is everyone hating on it?

I've read so much about all the new handling improvements it makes me feel like my car is seriously lacking.

Then I ask myself- well what do I really use my car for?

I don't track it, I don't drag it. I just drive it around the streets. I do like to make a quick pull away from a stoplight, and I do like to open it up from time to time (but one must be alert to police presence). But I'm not ripping through neighborhoods and taking hard corners. Do I really need a car that performers better than what I have?

I'm considering a CAI and tune from Evolution (suppose to add up to 100hp) and I'm thinking that for what I demand of the car that is pretty well going to cover it.

Moving up to an 11 GT500 is going to cost me 30k+ (with trade), I'm not really sure I can justify that expense. Getting into a Boss is probably going to run me 15k (with trade).

The CAI and tune is going to run me $800. I should just get that and be happy with what I've got.

I don't mind saying I'm in a huge state of confusion at the moment.

I REALLY do love my 08. I love the look of the 05-09 body style, but I've been looking at the 10-11 and the look has been slowly growing on me. Clearly the 011's (across all models) are one hell'va car!

The arrival of the Boss 302 has really got be interested!

I had been thinking of getting rid of my GT500 and getting a Boss.

The test drives I've had on the 011's have shown me the improvements that GT500's have made.

I think I'm suffering from a little too much information overload. And I'm suffering from too much negative press about the 07-19 GT500's. The cars seem to be made out to be huge overweight cars that handle like crap. Then I get behind the wheel of my 08 and think- this car doesn't handle that badly. Why is everyone hating on it?

I've read so much about all the new handling improvements it makes me feel like my car is seriously lacking.

Then I ask myself- well what do I really use my car for?

I don't track it, I don't drag it. I just drive it around the streets. I do like to make a quick pull away from a stoplight, and I do like to open it up from time to time (but one must be alert to police presence). But I'm not ripping through neighborhoods and taking hard corners. Do I really need a car that performers better than what I have?

I'm considering a CAI and tune from Evolution (suppose to add up to 100hp) and I'm thinking that for what I demand of the car that is pretty well going to cover it.

Moving up to an 11 GT500 is going to cost me 30k+ (with trade), I'm not really sure I can justify that expense. Getting into a Boss is probably going to run me 15k (with trade).

The CAI and tune is going to run me $800. I should just get that and be happy with what I've got.

And for about $6k total you can get my set up which out handles and out performs the 2011 GT500 SVTPP. Griggs SS, JLT CAI, Tune and stock look VMP 2.65 pulley. You won't ever have to do another thing and the car IMO opinion rides better now than stock. Adjustable ride hide and camber to go with it. Great value for our cars. I still love it as much as the day I bought it. I take that back, I love it more and am stoked I have the body style that I do. Much more classic IMO. Yeah, it's nose heavy, but so are the 2010-2011's.

This is the 2nd time I've taken one for a test drive. Both and the SVTPP, the one I took out today also had the glass roof.The car drives very, very well. I'm very impressed with the feel and handling of the 2011's.I got out on a quiet country highway and opened it up. I was doing 140mph in almost no time flat! I could not believe how much power this car has, definitely seems like a lot more than my 2008. I could've pushed it a bit more to see how much faster I could get it going but didn't want to be too stupid and didn't want to abuse a car that's not mine.Anyway, I was very impressed with it.

"I was doing 140mph in almost no time flat! I could not believe how much power this car has, definitely seems like a lot more than my 2008. I could've pushed it a bit more to see how much faster I could get it going but didn't want to be too stupid and didn't want to abuse a car that's not mine." :headscratch:

So why 140? Why not 150 - 160?

:hysterical:

Should something have gone wrong? What's the magic MPH for the car not to be a total loss? :headscratch:

"Not really what sure what your trying to ask or imply?Do you not believe they let me took the car out?Do you think I'm not a good customer?Do you think doing 140 is too much?" Regardless, I don't really care. I've taken 2, 2011 GT500's from this dealership out for a test drive (alone) and took another 011 GT500 out from another dealership (alone).I suppose once you're in the GT500 club they just let you do those things.

Um...ya! I like to have fun too, and especially beat on cars that I don't own but

one word comes to mind. Irresponsible. Club or not.

That's cool then you don't care what I just said.

:slapfight:

Archived