TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paint quality on our Mustangs / Shelby's

Grabber

This is what upset us the most! It was unwarranted! yeah, I know it had a shelby warranty and with a few mods it was voided out :hysterical2:

my,,my my

detnar raw nunsaw tit some htsu tespu tahw sis iht? [etouq\]:hysterical2::hysterical:

havin' a bad day scgt500?

you need to go to your local PPG paint distributory and ask them for some featherlax. seems you have never painted a car? truck? bus? anything?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my,,my my

detnar raw nunsaw tit some htsu tespu tahw sis iht? [etouq\]:hysterical2::hysterical:

you need to go to your local PPG paint distributory and ask them for some featherlax. seems you have never painted a car? truck? bus? anything?

by the way the above is your quote backwards and

. Featherlax is the same thing as X-LAX except it tickles the shix out of you :hysterical::hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical2: lighten up will ya? cannot take a joke then take a chill pill and go lay down for a while

TTB,

I understand how frustrated you must be with the situation with your cars finish. I hope it is made "right" with you soon. I am sorry that my threads added to your frustration. I can understand how that happened and it stirred you up. Peace bro. ;)

my,,my my

I have painted about a dozen cars. I have used PPG products, although not lately, and I have never heard of featherlax.

Rob, my 07 Alloy GT has perfect paint from what I can tell, and I have found absolutely no problems with the fit and finish inside and out with it. My 03 Mach 1 was nearly flawless (passenger seat had to be shimmed as it was rubbing on the door panel, but there was a TSB addressing this common problem). My 00 Mustang GT was flawless.

I see a lot of Mustangs. I order all the Mustangs for our dealership. I look over every GT500 when they arrive and I've seen just one that appeared to be perfect, and the other three had very minor issues. The three with minor issues would have been acceptable to me with no need for repair, but minor flaws none-the-less. First one had a bubble under a stripe, but is was on the front leading edge that wraps under the hood, so nobody will ever see it. Second one had the front chin spoiler (splitter) scraped underneath (likely done by the shipping company, not by Ford) and we recently replaced the splitter for the customer (he didn't ask, we offered when we saw it). The Third one had a small speck of something under the paint on the roof of the car - perhaps a little debris in the paint booth at the factory? And, the third car was also damaged in transit when it was backed off the transport trailer - the driver cut a tire (and the wheel) when he backed over a brace on the trailer's ramp. We replaced the wheel and tire, but the paint wasn't an issue to the customer. The fourth GT500 didn't have a single flaw that I (or the customer) could find. Our fifth one is due here next week, and I know the customer will be going over it with a fine-tooth comb, so hopefully it is flawless, as well.

Overall, I believe Ford puts Mustangs together very, very well - and they are certainly much better than the average car. But, as with anything that is mass-produced, you will always be able to find a few examples that are less than perfect (like TTB or Michelle pointed out). I personally believe that cars with major flaws that should have been prevented/fixed at the factory are in the extreme minority. The vast majority of Mustangs that are shipped out are good enough to be accepted by 99.9% of consumers out there.

I think we as car nuts probally pay attention to every detail. Im happy with my car. I dont expect perfection > its a production car and i would expect minor imperfections.

I noticed 2 imperfections. 1 is a tiny chip on the passenger side quarter panel

The other is the stripes on my front bumper are overlapped or "off" as far as alignment.

neither of these i will ask the dealer to fix.For one, they could never duplicate factory appearance and the other is its a car, im going to drive it. im sure it will get a few imperfections through the years Oh well.

I am happy overall. I could care less about the minor problems.

I thought mine had a bubble in one of the stripes on the hood as well, from the factory. I started to wonder if I poked a tiny hole in it, would it go away? I was pushing on it and low and behold found out it was some kind of tree sap or something, maybe a bird pooped some clear stuff or the car was exposed to some kind of tree sap? I cleaned it off. Life was good again.

I'll make a disclaimer here that I don't have ANY experience with paint or stripes...I'm just repeating what I was told.

When I went to Skillman Ford in Indy last year, they had an ebony GT500 with tungsten stripes on the showroom floor. As I was looking it over I saw a large bubble (about the size of a dime) in the stripe. I mentioned it, and the sales person said "oh, yes...that will come out as the car is exposed to the sun and temperature".

Again, I don't know whether that's true...I'm only suggesting that maybe you should either give it a week or so...or possibly pass some warm air over it with a hair dryer gently to see. If that doesn't work, go to step 2.

Dave

I guess I will weigh in here. I am not the paint expert either but I am very happy with the paint job on my vista blue. I have not found any blemishes in the clear or the stripes. The only fit issue is with the gap between the right front fender (passenger side) and the hood. It appears to be slighty wider than the other side (maybe 1/16). Not really too noticeable . I will probably mention it to the dealer next time I take it in for the next oil change. I'm sure it is a fairly simple adjustment? Other than this, I am very pleased with it overall.

I have looked over a bunch of Shelby's and they all had some type of imperfection. For the most part buyers can except them as thats the way they are built. A lot better than the old Muscle car's were especially the Mopar's.

Pretty much like has been said here. Stripe issues mostly bubbles but easy to fix, quite a few early cars had the hood to passenger fender alignment issue, some had shipping damage which is no fault of Fords. Seems like most have some kind of industrial fallout that is easily removed with clay. Also fairly common is very small drips on edges of deck lid or hood. There are cars that have been refused. Some buyers do not want areas repainted as feel it will cause concern down the road. Another common area of concern is the bottom of doors and fenders to not fit flush with each other. More than one person has pointed that out. Not sure if its for clearance for door to open or if its just not a big concern for Ford.

As far as having a car with sand scratches or more than just minor flaws I could easily understand why someone would be upset over it.

my .02 for what its worth. I can say that our Saleen brand Mustangs have much better fit and finish on them.

Don't mind this guy he is obviously on some heavy drugs.

I could tell some great stories also and not back them up with facts.

1) One would HAVE to be on some heavy drugs to tolerate the amount of BS that soils this forum

2) I'm not sure what's been posted that hasn't been "backed up with facts", but if this is a reference to the GT500 with a substandard paint job, a picture (or three) is worth a thousand words. I've seen Chevrolet Celebrities with factory paint jobs better than that of my '95 GT. But TTBs car? That absolutely takes the cake.

1) One would HAVE to be on some heavy drugs to tolerate the amount of BS that soils this forum

2) I'm not sure what's been posted that hasn't been "backed up with facts", but if this is a reference to the GT500 with a substandard paint job, a picture (or three) is worth a thousand words. I've seen Chevrolet Celebrities with factory paint jobs better than that of my '95 GT. But TTBs car? That absolutely takes the cake.

Thats why I offered SCGT500 some featherlax to clean out his system of what ever he is taking.

What more fact do you need than the pics?

What more fact do you need than the pics?

You just *had* to use that word, didn't ya..............

REALITY - *Most* vehicle assembly technicians put alot of pride in the work they do.

Supporting evidence - I was one of those folks, from 2003-2006

REALITY - The sandpaper used in Ford facilities is high quality, but also far too abrasive

Supporting evidence - The *smoothest* sandpaper used in the facility I was in was 400 grit. 400? I could definitely use that to knock the casting off a TFS intake, but on a paint job? Using gravel would likely create the same effect. And why does Ford use it? It's all about speed, baby. How else are you going to sand the entire side of a vehicle in 2 minutes or less?

REALITY - *Some* folks just don't give a shit

Supporting evidence - Does seeing this with your own eyes count? Yeah, it's one of those weeks. You're planning on hitting the bar @ 3 pm. But Boss Hoss states that you're staying 11.5 hours whether you like it or not. Enough to piss you off, isn't it? Why not spread the joy? So, you decide you'll sag a few hoods and hinges. Your buddy, who's also looking for a Crown Royal fix, is all pissed off down in prime scuff. He sees your sags, and suddenly wants to beat YOUR head in. But who does he take it out on? The unit, which he sands so fiercely that he's taken it down to bare metal. And the entire cycle repeats. Think it doesn't happen? That's cool. Just be sure to send me those rose colored glasses when you're finished using them.

REALITY - What is "flawless" to some is marginal to others

20 foot rule may be sufficient for some

It's a fact...........and anyone who has seen MY personal vehicle can prove it. Why? Because I've yet to encounter someone who didn't obsess about how "straight" the green GT is. You know the types...........they walk up during cruise ins, and chime in with "What kind of wax do you use? That color is so deep and glossy". I constantly refrain from throwing a bullshit flag when this happens, as it occurs to me that 1) these folks are simply blind as bats and/or 2) they don't know WTF they're looking for to begin with. I know the trouble areas on that car. I found them after about a week of ownership. While in my eyes it's enough to justify a COMPLETE repaint (which is happening as soon as the weather breaks), others simply don't see these things. Perhaps they're not as fanatical as I am. Perhaps they don't understand the paint process. I don't really know WHAT it is, but what I do know is that if ANYONE could look at the paint on my own car and think it's "flawless", they ought to be committed to the nearest mental health facility - STAT. Am I disappointed? Hell yes. $21K for a car with a $3.75 paint job. Do I now have an understanding of HOW this could have happened, and the fact that those who assembled my car didn't car about that GT that came down the line on 4/28/1995? ABSOFREAKINLUTELY! Doesn't make me feel any better, but yeah, I know exactly why that car looks as shitty as it does.

I guess the moral(s) of this story are as follows:

1) 99% of folks would shit bricks if they saw what goes down in *any* assembly plant

2) Some individuals pride themselves in the immaculate appearance of their vehicles, putting lots of hours into maintaining the finish. I am one of those people. But what's one to do when the car arrives to you with a crappy paint job? I guess the answer is do it yourself if you want it done correctly. Probably not the cheapest or easiest way, but it's the only solution I can live with.

You obviously know what you're talking about having worked at a factory, but I'm surprised to hear that there are still human beings walking around with paint guns in a new car factory. At least that is the impression I get when you say that the guy wanting to go to the bar decides to "sag a few hoods and hinges". I would have thought that all the paint work was done by robots. Thanks for your post, it's interesting to hear from somebody whose been there. I'm sure it's like any job - there are good days and bad days. It's no wonder there are occasional flaws.

You obviously know what you're talking about having worked at a factory, but I'm surprised to hear that there are still human beings walking around with paint guns in a new car factory. At least that is the impression I get when you say that the guy wanting to go to the bar decides to "sag a few hoods and hinges". I would have thought that all the paint work was done by robots. Thanks for your post, it's interesting to hear from somebody whose been there. I'm sure it's like any job - there are good days and bad days. It's no wonder there are occasional flaws.

Owen,

Most areas are done via automation. The robots are programmed to paint certain sections/areas, and usually they do a fantastic job. However, areas like the door hinges, door jambs, trunk well, engine bays, and the undersides of the hoods are manually sprayed. That was my job for many months in '05 and '06. There are times when the guns fail (the air pressure will take a crap, etc) and things are beyind your control. But for the most part, if you're a good sprayer, it's not difficult to do the job correctly.

I've seen lots of stuff done on photoshop.

And I know this forum inside and out and I can bring up some soil if that is what you want?

Fit and Finish on my car is A1, The stripes were a fraction off in a couple places but nothing drastic

I've seen lots of stuff done on photoshop.

And I know this forum inside and out and I can bring up some soil if that is what you want?

Are you suggesting someone is photoshopping photos to make a car look bad?

If so you need to grow up and get a life.

You bring more bad to this forum than the rest put together

Here a mod told you how things happen and you are doubting what is said? I have been reviewing some of your posts and it seems you have an awful lot to say about nothing. you are probably the least respected member of all here with your jibberish garbage. For you to attack evil95 this way is totally uncalled for. What is it in your life that is having this effect on you? Leave it at home. I came here to help many months back and left until now because of your kind. I also looked up and you have had about 10% of all forum posts with absolutely nothing good to contribute.

You know nothing about cars but have to spout off to a mod like you have. I think the ban stick should have a firm wave in your face.

How about you review your own posts and pretend you are someone else reading this forum. Your childish stuff shows who you really are and your words speak for themselves. Sorry to others but this poster is off the deep end. I will check back here when this forum appears a little more grown up as you have to spend hours to find info that says nothing. evil-if he spoke to me that way he would be banned permanently.

Mine was perfect, no complaints here......

EDIT: Let me correct myself.... the exterior of my car was perfect, the under hood areas had many (areas what painters call) "holidays" which usually means the spot was missed.... or the painter was "on holiday" at that moment and you can see the primer which is a different color.

That is not a big deal to me but I can understand how it might be to some.... as long as the exterior is perfect I can accept some "holidays" under the hood.

Here a mod told you how things happen and you are doubting what is said? I have been reviewing some of your posts and it seems you have an awful lot to say about nothing. you are probably the least respected member of all here with your jibberish garbage. For you to attack evil95 this way is totally uncalled for. What is it in your life that is having this effect on you? Leave it at home. I came here to help many months back and left until now because of your kind. I also looked up and you have had about 10% of all forum posts with absolutely nothing good to contribute.

You know nothing about cars but have to spout off to a mod like you have. I think the ban stick should have a firm wave in your face.

How about you review your own posts and pretend you are someone else reading this forum. Your childish stuff shows who you really are and your words speak for themselves. Sorry to others but this poster is off the deep end. I will check back here when this forum appears a little more grown up as you have to spend hours to find info that says nothing. evil-if he spoke to me that way he would be banned permanently.

Blue.oval.salesman.

You have been gone for 6 months and then come back yesterday and today make this post. Evil and SCGT can work out their differences of opinion. SCGT500 is a great guy and has many many friends here on this site, including me. He has also contributed information to us that has been helpful to other members. We also have a good group of members here and many of us stick together just like a family would. If you read thru my posts, I am sure you would ban me too. You would probally ban Ruf, Carnut, MasterMech1, Alloy Dave, Rpretzel, SVTkeith, and many many others too. But that's just not going to happen now is it. <_<

Blue.oval.salesman.

You have been gone for 6 months and then come back yesterday and today make this post. Evil and SCGT can work out their differences of opinion. SCGT500 is a great guy and has many many friends here on this site, including me. He has also contributed information to us that has been helpful to other members. We also have a good group of members here and many of us stick together just like a family would. If you read thru my posts, I am sure you would ban me too. You would probally ban Ruf, Carnut, MasterMech1, Alloy Dave, Rpretzel, SVTkeith, and many many others too. But that's just not going to happen now is it. <_<

Grabber

I would have no reason to ban the others. Are you like family enough that if you saw the other Murder someone you would keep your mouth shut?

Are you all like family that no matter what your personal opinion is you will always stick up for your fellow forum poster no matter if its the complete bassackwards of how you feel? If he has a grudge against evil95 why do you not tell *him* to take it private? Seems you are the one here who does the double standard? It seems you yourself have a grudge against evil95? Usually the forum moderators will stick together and not show a so obvious grudge agains another moderator. If this clown is one of your friends maybe you could tell him to cool it? If you ask me you are about the worst case of a moderator I have ever seen. Sure glad you are not running the country or anything else important.

you seem just the type who has to run to mommy as you cannot make a decision for yourself. Are you going to call in the troops to bail you out here? Seems thats what you have a tendancy to do? I would be willing to make a bet you have already contacted others to help you out as you cannot make a decision on your own what to do? ban me I could car less just trying to point out what you appear to be on this forum

I respect your comment but you are wrong about one thing.

Lets make this clear. I am the one that everybody hates the most :):hysterical2:

I dont even remember what this is about but i saw that one line and had to go for it :)

Grabber

I would have no reason to ban the others. Are you like family enough that if you saw the other Murder someone you would keep your mouth shut?

Are you all like family that no matter what your personal opinion is you will always stick up for your fellow forum poster no matter if its the complete bassackwards of how you feel? If he has a grudge against evil95 why do you not tell *him* to take it private? Seems you are the one here who does the double standard? It seems you yourself have a grudge against evil95? Usually the forum moderators will stick together and not show a so obvious grudge agains another moderator. If this clown is one of your friends maybe you could tell him to cool it? If you ask me you are about the worst case of a moderator I have ever seen. Sure glad you are not running the country or anything else important.

you seem just the type who has to run to mommy as you cannot make a decision for yourself. Are you going to call in the troops to bail you out here? Seems thats what you have a tendancy to do? I would be willing to make a bet you have already contacted others to help you out as you cannot make a decision on your own what to do? ban me I could car less just trying to point out what you appear to be on this forum

Take a deep breath partner. Me and Evil get along just fine, so not to worry on that one. I am not going to ban you, but I am going to ask you to cool down a bit. A Caution here is in order.

Grabber, can you make it so everytime someone opens this thread, the sight plays "Why Can't we be Friends." Because thats what we all need! I think it would mellow everyone out :D

+1

Seems to be getting a little nasty around here the last few days. I have enough stress in my life with all my PSDS. I don't need to wade through all the arguing.

:grouphug:

SCGT is a friend of mine - no - make that family.

He's an asset to this site.

You aren't.

We've got your back, SCGT.

Ruf -

no comment on the paint issue but there does seem to be a double standard here. Here you have a mod saying to stop attacks and keep it on track and a few posts down you get this. A attack towards salesman from rufdrat. Maybe Grabber should spread warnings out in a fair way

this clique or what ever you want to call it is getting old.

I read once in a while but have not posted because of the personal attacks. Way back when this was a nice forum but has gotten to the point of a clique. If you are not in it you are nothing. I have seen the best people who have attended this forum run off for what ever reason. The post count may be going up but the quality of posts is at bottom of scrap heap. Seems like ruf who I was just reading wrecked his car and all will defend him to the max. His foot was carelesly at the throttle and knowone elses. Sometimes things happen to show offs. He is ok but got his due with the car.

Archived