TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paint quality on our Mustangs / Shelby's

Grabber

The Paint quality on my GT/CS is perfect. The fit and finish on the car is also superb. Let's talk about how your car turned out. I have only heard of a couple of problems so far but would like you guys to comment on your quality and fit. Your delivery date would be nice to know also.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After TTB gave me the heads up about the paint and finish problems I spent two hours going over my car in bright light and with a flashight. I was only able to fine one small clearcoat bubble on the front bumper and small section of side white stripe missing. The paint and finish was surperb. I even brought a caliber to measure all the fit points. I then did not take the car untill i could again go over it in bright day light on the showroom floor. I counld not find any problems.

Other than a small, 8" by 5" clearcoat "waterfall" on the driver's door that was easely buffed out with a light compound, my paint is

PERFECTO!

SEE? ---------------------------------------> post-4213-1171421173_thumb.jpg

But thanks for asking!

post-4213-1171421173_thumb.jpg

The Paint quality on my GT/CS is perfect. The fit and finish on the car is also superb. Let's talk about how your car turned out. I have only heard of a couple of problems so far but would like you guys to comment on your quality and fit. Your delivery date would be nice to know also.

Can't say enough positive about the fit and finish of mine. Very good quality for an American car. Just can't wait to get it out this Spring.

HSURB

I have found two flaws in mine. Neither were serious enough to go back to the dealer. There is a 6" run in the clearcoat on the leading edge of the hood on the driver's side. It can (& soon will) be buffed out. And there is a "dull" spot in the clear on the passenger side front fender, not sure about that one but you can only see it in certain lighting conditions. The rest of the paint looks great, especially with 6 coats of Zaino :hysterical2: Even the orange peel is very subdued.

As far as fitment, my only complaint is that the trunk deck is ever so slightly misaligned. Again only noticeable if you are studying the joints closely.

Overall, very pleased....It is, afterall, just a mustang as EC was fond of saying :finger:

:redcard: just a joke...just a joke. I love the car and my only disappointment is the wheel hop.

I hope we don't see a whole lot of clutch/tranny problems though...

Ive spent many hours going over the body and the paint after reading about some of the flaws ppl have noticed and i am happy to say that i dont notice any flaws at all, which is great cause they would stand out like a sore thumb on black paint. :happy feet: Since i dont have stripes to worry about, i cant comment on any stripe defects that some people have.

Everything looks great on the paint, stripes and exterior fit. However inside is having some problems, felt showing under my dash by the windshield, short carpet (sounds universal) and the panels that join in the middle of the dash (verticle) is misaligned. Looked at two other Shelbys and this is a problem in all three of our cars.

Paint and fit is great with my car. As a matter of of fact, I have no real orange peel at all. I would however, like to point out that there are two corvette convertibles that sticker at over $65k at a local dealership and they both actually look like oranges the "peel" is so bad.

All in all, I am extremely satisfied with my car in this aspect.

CB

So far we have 5 people that had a paint issue even though minor. Cars still had a problem

The amt of cars getting to people with no problems DOES NOT mean the factory is not having paint issues. Most are fixed before leaving plant although there are quite a few still getting out.

The fact of matter is the AAI plant is having paint issues.

So, Grabber whats your point?

So far we have 5 people that had a paint issue even though minor. Cars still had a problem

The amt of cars getting to people with no problems DOES NOT mean the factory is not having paint issues. Most are fixed before leaving plant although there are quite a few still getting out.

My point is that we have a bunch of members here on this site, and I have been reading the posts for a long time now and the paint issues have not been a concern untill recently. I wanted to see a show of hands for what kind of paint issues the gang has on their cars, and if they have noticed them.

TTB,

I feel the number of cars with less than stellar paint is far greater than realized, simply because not EVERY owner reports such defects on message forums. Take my brother in law for example............brand new 2007 GT. He got rid of the ball and chain, and bought the car as a gift to himself. Anyone who follows my ramblings KNOWS how horrible the paint is on my '95 GT (scanty clearcoat, runs, DA marks, paint actually falling OFF the car - and it's never seen a rainy day, let alone snow or salt!). Well, the paint quality on his '07 makes my '95 looks like damn show car. Needless to say, he's quite disappointed, and I share that feeling. Having worked on the polish line, the lack of attention to detail/defects in this case is simply disgusting. I really don't care if it's a $15,000 car or a $90,000 car...............new is new, and that's what you're buying. A new vehicle should NOT be in the shape of one that's two years old, has been victimized by shopping carts, and environmental fallout. JMHO.

My point is that we have a bunch of members here on this site, and I have been reading the posts for a long time now and the paint issues have not been a concern untill recently. I wanted to see a show of hands for what kind of paint issues the gang has on their cars, and if they have noticed them.

Ok Grabber if you really wanted to hear it. Yes there are cars being held for paint issues! But do not worry your car will be fine when you get it

My fit and finish was incredible .... and working for a ford store i see alot of paint jobs.

My shelby was incredible

Very very happy with it

dond

Ok Grabber if you really wanted to hear it. Yes there are cars being held for paint issues! But do not worry your car will be fine when you get it

How can you say and gaurentee that mine will be fine when I get it ?

Fit is great. I have an issue that is not necessarily fit or finish. On the rear wing I can see two places where there was a milling bit used to remove something. Perhaps the casting seems or something, but I can see multiple milling tool indentations. Has anybidy else seen this?

TTB,

I feel the number of cars with less than stellar paint is far greater than realized, simply because not EVERY owner reports such defects on message forums. Take my brother in law for example............brand new 2007 GT. He got rid of the ball and chain, and bought the car as a gift to himself. Anyone who follows my ramblings KNOWS how horrible the paint is on my '95 GT (scanty clearcoat, runs, DA marks, paint actually falling OFF the car - and it's never seen a rainy day, let alone snow or salt!). Well, the paint quality on his '07 makes my '95 looks like damn show car. Needless to say, he's quite disappointed, and I share that feeling. Having worked on the polish line, the lack of attention to detail/defects in this case is simply disgusting. I really don't care if it's a $15,000 car or a $90,000 car...............new is new, and that's what you're buying. A new vehicle should NOT be in the shape of one that's two years old, has been victimized by shopping carts, and environmental fallout. JMHO.

evil, I guess we will have to have all 10,800 cars inspected by same inspector then write a graph for each cars fit and finish. We could always have grabber do the inspections because, yaknow' he has an eye for it :hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical2:

I remember that little son of a bitch, He crapped on my windshield last weekend. :hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical2:

Yes, thats the one ya' better catch him next time he flys over.

Oh, I have seen a few Shelbys with paint issues.

For the most part they are acceptable to the owners. Most issues are caught at plant.

now that we have you wound up you should sleep well! easy now, easy. Take a deep breath your car is on the way.........

Date of build Aug 30th, date of delivery Sep 29th. Alloy coupe, satin silver stripes. I love everything about mine. Paint quality almost flawless. Just a very small amount of orange peel behind side windows, but only I see it. Deep shine and hoping in spring time I can shine it up even more. Bought Mr Clean car wash kit and think it does a great job. Gonna try the 5Star kit I bought last fall. Lines on doors, hood, trunk, etc perfect. I'm one proud happy camper. :banana piano:

.....darn, I don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading all of this. Hang in there Rob, I'm betting your car will be fine, and that in 6 months you won't even remember all this frustration. For what it is worth, I have not found my first problem with my shelby. Maybe its because I'm not expecting a showcar paint job from the factory. Anyway, take care, and take lots of those happy pills :headspin:

...and ttb, saying sob does not make a hypocrite out of any person, whether they practice a religion of any type or not. I am really surprised you would say that since it just does not fit the situation logically. Is it possible that your personal experiences with ford (and you certainly have had some tough times with them) are putting you in a very unhappy zone when some of these discussions come up? If so, I hope things mellow out over time. I'm not such a ford fan that I think all is perfect, but I do try to keep it all in perspective, and certainly ford is not all bad either. And hell, I bought my shelby to drive, not to look at from the outside :happy feet:

Archived