TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paint quality on our Mustangs / Shelby's

Grabber

Well, mine was near perfect when it left Flat Rock. Too bad someone in the rail line or rail yard decided to put a large dent in the side. Showed up at the dealer on the transport that way. Its 'fixed' now but was dissapointing to have to deal with on delivery day. That and a leaking radiator did not make for a low stress, long anticipated event.

Now that both issues are repaired, you could not get me to part with the car. Finest car I have ever had the privlege to own. And far better quality than most of the ferign cars I have driven or riden in.

I have been over the paint with a clay bar, one section at a time with bright sunshine. No flaws other than the shipping damage were found. Much better paint than my 98 Cobra when new.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is quite the language you have here. hypocrite?

First off TTB, you are clearly antagonizing and provoking Grabber! If you dish it, then take it!

Secondly there are two kinds of people that are NOT hypocrites: Dead ones and dieties. I don't think that any of us fit into those catagories!

Rob, hang tough! And don't let him yank your chain.

First off TTB, you are clearly antagonizing and provoking Grabber! If you dish it, then take it!

Secondly there are two kinds of people that are NOT hypocrites: Dead ones and dieties. I don't think that any of us fit into those catagories!

Rob, hang tough! And don't let him yank your chain.

My build date was 6/16/06 and my paint/stripe job seems perfect. Maybe they cared more when the run was just beginning.

Back to topic.

My paint and fit/finish far exceeded my expectations, but my expectations were set for what is, in essence, the same body and interior that comes on a $20k Mustang.

My paint is great, but not perfect. There is very slight orange peel throughout...no different than I see on many cars, some much more expensive than the GT500. There was one dull area on the paint, but I can't see it after a couple of coats of Zaino. There are a couple of slight scratches in the clear coat that are difficult to see. I'm guessing those happened in transit or at the dealer and all but one has completely disappeared with multiple layers of Zaino. There is a slight and odd dimple where one of the hinges connects to the hood. There is a small bubble in one of the stripes on the hood. I have a small rock chip that I'm pretty sure was there when I picked up the car (...it's so small, I didn't notice it until I was polishing the car...it could be that I got it in the first 50 miles, but it is in an unusual location).

Panel alignment is great with the exception of the interior piece Miki mentioned. And I don't think that can be fixed...it looks like a problem with the shape of the piece.

But none of this is bothersome enough to have my dealer work on my car. My experience with dealers trying to fix minor problems is that things come back worse. If the car is 98% good, the dealer will likely take it to 95% good. On the other hand, if the car is 90% good, then the dealer can probably help and bring it to 95%.

I've owned cheap cars and expensive ones and the only one that had better overall fit and finish was a 96 Honda Civic. Hard to believe, but that car was literally perfect. Not onlly was fit/finish great, but my wife put 100k miles on it and I don't think we ever took it in for an unscheduled service.

I buffed a few spots on mine. There is a dirt particle on my right quarter panel that I will wet-sand & buff out. My left door didn't fit very well either. I had to "tweek" it. There was no way to adjust it, so I had to put a little twist in it. I have a small scratch in the lower rt. part of my dash. I will live with it. There is no way I want to have my dash replaced. I hate bringing my car to the dealer, because it's not a matter of if, it's how mad will I be when I get it back.

I would bet that almost everyone has a dry area on the front of the quarter panel where the scoop would be, right at the edge of the contour. I believe that that is just the nature of a robot painting it, and not changing the angle of the nozzle to properly cover that area.

As with every new vehicle I buy, the first thing I do is hand wax/polish it so that I can evaluate every square inch. Overall, I'm very happy with mine. I have a palmed size dull spot behind the passenger door. Looks like it didn't get clear coated. Like JRichard, after a three coats of Zaino it is less noticable and something I will not take back to a dealer to fix. Over the entire car, I have noticed three dirt/sand particles under the paint, but again not worrisome. The stripes look terrific with no bubbles or tears. There were some very light scratches beside the stripes (on the clearcoat) which I could've buff out. Again, Zaino filled in these and are not noticable now.

One thing I may have fixed is the passenger door handle (outside) which appears to be a little loose. Anybody have any idea how to fix this? Looks like the inside door panel would need to be removed to tighten a screw or two.

I buffed a few spots on mine. There is a dirt particle on my right quarter panel that I will wet-sand & buff out. My left door didn't fit very well either. I had to "tweek" it. There was no way to adjust it, so I had to put a little twist in it. I have a small scratch in the lower rt. part of my dash. I will live with it. There is no way I want to have my dash replaced. I hate bringing my car to the dealer, because it's not a matter of if, it's how mad will I be when I get it back.

I would bet that almost everyone has a dry area on the front of the quarter panel where the scoop would be, right at the edge of the contour. I believe that that is just the nature of a robot painting it, and not changing the angle of the nozzle to properly cover that area.

My paint was GREAT!, my last SVT the paint was very bad.

I was pleasently surprised. Check out pictures.

post-3208-1171483304_thumb.jpg

post-3208-1171483356_thumb.jpg

post-3208-1171483427_thumb.jpg

post-3208-1171483442_thumb.jpg

post-3208-1171483462_thumb.jpg

post-3208-1171483304_thumb.jpg

post-3208-1171483356_thumb.jpg

post-3208-1171483427_thumb.jpg

post-3208-1171483442_thumb.jpg

post-3208-1171483462_thumb.jpg

I've only had good weather for one day with mine...I'll withhold judgement until I get to look it over better. I will so there are no OBVIOUS flaws.

I know this is a touchy subject with a lot of folks but...

Not sure if this is going to hold up others and for how long but after many emails and phone calls FoMoCo is going to send an engineer out from Detroit to look at my car.

After doing painting for last 30+ yrs I know a paint problem when I see it. If anyone here thinks the paint issue is not a serious one do you think FoMoCo would put an engineer on a plane to inspect it?

For someone to even think just because "their" car does not have a paint issue means none do is just plain silly.

I would be willing to put money on it that there are others out there with similar problems its just you have not seen it or do not know how to look.

If you are looking out in daylight you better start over! For some reason seems metallic colored cars may have less issues.

The issues are real and do exist.

Just look at this thread how many people here spotted issues that should not have left plant. Minor as they may be but still paint issues.

I am not saying this has an effect on anyone elses car but there have been many many Mustangs/Shelbys with fitment and paint issues along with whatever else is happening like early cars clutches.

on another note BKdraft1 your car is getting closer! Lets just hope its as it should be?

I know this is a touchy subject with a lot of folks but...

Not sure if this is going to hold up others and for how long but after many emails and phone calls FoMoCo is going to send an engineer out from Detroit to look at my car.

After doing painting for last 30+ yrs I know a paint problem when I see it. If anyone here thinks the paint issue is not a serious one do you think FoMoCo would put an engineer on a plane to inspect it?

For someone to even think just because "their" car does not have a paint issue means none do is just plain silly.

I would be willing to put money on it that there are others out there with similar problems its just you have not seen it or do not know how to look.

If you are looking out in daylight you better start over! For some reason seems metallic colored cars may have less issues.

The issues are real and do exist.

Just look at this thread how many people here spotted issues that should not have left plant. Minor as they may be but still paint issues.

I am not saying this has an effect on anyone elses car but there have been many many Mustangs/Shelbys with fitment and paint issues along with whatever else is happening like early cars clutches.

on another note BKdraft1 your car is getting closer! Lets just hope its as it should be?

OK - What would you do to fix all these problems if you were running the AAI plant & had customers like you complaining about a problem that they know they have?

Complaining here on the forum board to the extent that it has is just getting more & more Shelby owners uptight more then they need to. You or I can not fix the issues they have, only they can. You can only control what you can control & nothing else can be done but wait for cars to be delivered so they can be inspected by each one of you who ordered one (or 2). I say let this topic die & post something when it actaully happens.....good or bad.

OK - What would you do to fix all these problems if you were running the AAI plant & had customers like you complaining about a problem that they know they have?

Complaining here on the forum board to the extent that it has is just getting more & more Shelby owners uptight more then they need to. You or I can not fix the issues they have, only they can. You can only control what you can control & nothing else can be done but wait for cars to be delivered so they can be inspected by each one of you who ordered one (or 2). I say let this topic die & post something when it actaully happens.....good or bad.

CWHR, Do you see my name as person who started this post? I am just pointing out a few facts here & have never said there is anything anyone can do until their car comes in now did I? I have actually kept pretty quiet about this matter compared to the info I have on it.

"I say let this topic die & post something when it actaully happens.....good or bad." Thats exactly the reason I came on to post a few more facts.

FoMoCo is putting a engineer on a plane to inspect my car for paint issues. You have a problem with that?

So much for me sticking my neck out for you sending something at my time and cost along with 2nd day shipping so you would have it to send out to your friends now is there? Nice thanks from you.

CWHR, Do you see my name as person who started this post? I am just pointing out a few facts here & have never said there is anything anyone can do until their car comes in now did I? I have actually kept pretty quiet about this matter compared to the info I have on it.

"I say let this topic die & post something when it actaully happens.....good or bad." Thats exactly the reason I came on to post a few more facts.

FoMoCo is putting a engineer on a plane to inspect my car for paint issues. You have a problem with that?

So much for me sticking my neck out for you sending something at my time and cost along with 2nd day shipping so you would have it to send out to your friends now is there? Nice thanks from you.

TTB, I have noticed that you are the most vocal on this since you have a problem with your replacement shelby. I didn't say I didn't believe you about having an engineer flying out there over your problem, but I do remember someone posting a topic called "I wrecked my shelby" & left us all hanging on what the hell happened & if that person was alright. I even remember being one of those people who cared enough to start a search party since the person was not responding to emails or phone calls. But in your eyes I'm some evil member teaming up on you & that is not the case. You have made your points known & each time with more spite to whoever wrote something that differs from your facts as you know them. All I'm asking is for you to lighten up a little on what people have to say or comment on.

I have never seen a new car come from the factory with perfect paint. I don't believe it's possible. If there are sanding scratches in a car then my bet is that it has been repaired at one point or another. Cars do get damaged on occasion. If you've ever looked at a car from the 60's that still has the original paint they usually have pretty crappy paint jobs. I saw a '68 GT500KR with 6000 miles on it and supposedly all original paint, and it looked horrible. The fibreglass on my 67 GT500 doesn't fit worth beans, but that's the way they came from the factory. I expect a few flaws in my car, it makes them all a little different. The first one I saw the stripes didn't meet very well on the spoiler - in fact they looked pretty bad. I told my wife I hope ours look better, but if they don't I'm not fixing them, because that's the way they came from the factory. Thirty years from now people will look at it and say " Look, it is all original, you can tell by the crappy looking stripes!" Lighten up folks, it's just a car!

+1. Although those buying a GT500 in 67 were less interested in fit and finish then today's buyer. IMO. And the reason for the not so good quality back then was based on all US car makers building them that way. Until the late 70's early 80's when Japanese vehicles stormed the country with better fuel economy lower maintenence cars. And they simply were built better. It was a time that changed the american car makers entire game plan forever.

My car had several,"issues",when it arrived. Missing cobra emblem on the grill. Dealer took care of it. The protective tape came loose on the front bumper and slapped a small area scuffing the paint. Buffed out. The drivers side roof gutter cover is badly scratched. There are some surface scratches on the drivers side hood the size of my palm that can be buffed out. The passenger side roof stripe has a dime size bubble. I also noticed the,"bubbles,debris", on the inside of my hood at delivery.(15 miles) on unit.

The gutter cover will be replaced in the spring when the car can get to the dealer. Not sure what I'm going to do about the bubble?

Other then that the fit and overall paint is very good.

+1. Although those buying a GT500 in 67 were less interested in fit and finish then today's buyer. IMO.

My car had several,"issues",when it arrived. Missing cobra emblem on the grill. Dealer took care of it. The protective tape came loose on the front bumper and slapped a small area scuffing the paint. Buffed out. The drivers side roof gutter cover is badly scratched. There are some surface scratches on the drivers side hood the size of my palm that can be buffed out. The passenger side roof stripe has a dime size bubble. I also noticed the,"bubbles,debris", on the inside of my hood at delivery.(15 miles) on unit.

The gutter cover will be replaced in the spring when the car can get to the dealer. Not sure what I'm going to do about the bubble?

This trick will remove the air bubble most of the time - Use a sewing needle to pop it in the center & then start pushing it down lightly from the outside edges of the bubble and work inwards until gone.

TTB, I have noticed that you are the most vocal on this since you have a problem with your replacement shelby. I didn't say I didn't believe you about having an engineer flying out there over your problem, but I do remember someone posting a topic called "I wrecked my shelby" & left us all hanging on what the hell happened & if that person was alright. I even remember being one of those people who cared enough to start a search party since the person was not responding to emails or phone calls. But in your eyes I'm some evil member teaming up on you & that is not the case. You have made your points known & each time with more spite to whoever wrote something that differs from your facts as you know them. All I'm asking is for you to lighten up a little on what people have to say or comment on.

cwhr, Thats all I did was point out a few facts. I never once said all or even the majority of cars have paint or fitment issues. I just pointed out there were cars with issues. As you well know when a manufacturer sees a problem they try to resolve as fast as they can.

This all started when I called bogus to Rob relating it was a cracked tailhousing on the trans because of a bolt issue. I pointed out the simple fact there were no bolts attaching shifter to tailshaft housing. I never once said for anyone to be alarmed at cars condition when It shows up. I was mearly trying to point out fomoco is not known for being honest in the cars hold ups and that "I" simply did not believe all they were saying the above mentioned trans problem a big clue it was bogus.

I was simply trying to give grabber a hard time. I had been in contact with him by a zillion emails and also numerous phone calls and myself told him on numerous occasions to lighten up and not to worry about the car. Also tried to convice him calling Ralph at plant daily or more was not a good way of doing it either. His car would get there when it gets there. I was also checking many times a day on his cars status so he did not have to, as I have done for many many other members here behind the scenes. You will not find a single one where I gave "wrong" information to as I just stuck to the facts as I saw it. I found cars knowone else could or cared to take the time to find.

At this time would like to give a BIG thanks to rbortnick for his generous gift he sent me. It is really appreciated! No matter how I searched I could not find one to buy! Thanks again.

I wouild also say I did not mean to offend members of this forum and apologize if I did. There are a few of you who know the story about this and my other cars and put me in a pretty foul mood having the replacement look like it does. I have kept pretty quiet about it from the day purchased Jan 22nd until. (this is something Rob himself was well aware of) Now that the Ford Executive office contacted me directly later this afternoon it was kind of like a chill pill.

Guess if I had not flunked english in high school I would have an easier time trying to get across what I am thinking.

Think we all need some featherlax in our coffee instead of the cars paint!

I do not need a chill pill as its snowing outside!

At this time would like to give a BIG thanks to rbortnick for his generous gift he sent me. It is really appreciated! No matter how I searched I could not find one to buy! Thanks again.

What gift, TTB? And he is not sharing gifts with us? Ha, ha.

I think apologies are accepted. I did not have a problem with you addressing your matters. And I can imagine how you feel. :angry2: when you receive your car like this.

What gift, TTB? And he is not sharing gifts with us? Ha, ha.

I think apologies are accepted. I did not have a problem with you addressing your matters. And I can imagine how you feel. :angry2: when you receive your car like this.

He sent me a 1:18 scale 40th Anniversary GT500 Black with "GOLD" stripes with Carroll's signature.

(for locating and tracking his car)

+1. Although those buying a GT500 in 67 were less interested in fit and finish then today's buyer. IMO. And the reason for the not so good quality back then was based on all US car makers building them that way. Until the late 70's early 80's when Japanese vehicles stormed the country with better fuel economy lower maintenence cars. And they simply were built better. It was a time that changed the american car makers entire game plan forever.

I thought mine had a bubble in one of the stripes on the hood as well, from the factory. I started to wonder if I poked a tiny hole in it, would it go away? I was pushing on it and low and behold found out it was some kind of tree sap or something, maybe a bird pooped some clear stuff or the car was exposed to some kind of tree sap? I cleaned it off. Life was good again.

Archived