TEAM SHELBY FORUM

White marks on black molding around air vents-HELP

relopez98

So this summer I washed and waxed her and inadvertantly got some wax and/or armoral on the black molding around the convertible top and around the air vents on the hood.

I've tried windex and washing the hell out of them several times. I can't seem to get rid of the residue and it looks terrible in the sun.

Any suggestions?

Sorry no pics, but, I know I'm not the only one that's done this.

I use Armor All on the heat extractors to give them the like new look, so I don't think it is causing the problem. I usually do it after 3 washings.

You may have gotten wax on them. You can try this, take an old toothbrush and spray some Armor All on it and work it into the areas with the white spots.

It may also work with detailing spray and toothbrush.

You used some wax that stains trim. If I were you I would get some wax/sealant that doesn't stain trim... there are many now so to use the ones that stain is just an unnecessary risk.

You could try a product like Poorboy's Trim Restorer... it will help, but it may not get rid of the stain only cover it up.

I've heard good things about Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser but I don't have first-hand experience with it.

Try using a clay bar to clean them up.

You could try 3m wax and grease remover on a small test spot on the bottom of the lower valance where it doesn't show. If that doesn't harm it that used with a tooth brush should get it. The armor all and tooth brush will probably get it. I treat the black areas with pure silicone prior to waxing so that nothing sticks.

Try a small area of the non-toxic product called "oxy-clean" liquid and a toothbrush. My wife's co. makes and sells a ton of it under the Arm & Hammer name. I use the stuff on EVERYTHING. It smells pleasant, is totally biodegradable, and works on all tough stains. She carries an oxy-pen in her purse at all times for stains on clothes at the restaraunt! I cannot believe it took scientists all these years to create this seemingly natural harmless product?

Good Luck.

So this summer I washed and waxed her and inadvertantly got some wax and/or armoral on the black molding around the convertible top and around the air vents on the hood.

I've tried windex and washing the hell out of them several times. I can't seem to get rid of the residue and it looks terrible in the sun.

Any suggestions?

Works every time...

post-29119-051912300 1284600732_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions?

For black plastic trim (including textured) the product to fix your problem is "Color Magic" by Turtle Wax for black cars. It's actually a wax that contains black dye and pigment which works beautifully! I've been using this little trick since the 80's when I experimented with Kiwi black shoe polish paste on the moulding of my car. Either one will work for wax residue or fading.

post-28411-057362300 1284659441_thumb.jpg post-28411-052102200 1284659614_thumb.jpg

post-28411-057362300 1284659441_thumb.jpg

post-28411-052102200 1284659614_thumb.jpg

I've used Back to Black, Meguairs Trim Detailer, and Turtle Wax Ice on the black trim and all seemed to do a good job. I agree that Ice is easy to use, working well on the paint and the trim.

Archived