TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 KR "front clip"

ctann

Hi all,

Not trying to start another one of "those" threads here, but I couldn't help but comment on this eBay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180559914808&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Now the occasional KR part popping up is understandable, but this auction kind of blows the lid off the "keeping the exclusivity" line from Shelby. But If you're betting that '08 KRs are going to follow a '68 KR trend in pricing, then this has got to be a good investment. If something like this popped up for sale today, for a '68KR, it would probably be worth as much as an entire car. Vacuum pack it, store it in a climate-controlled place, and pull it out in 2050 - there's your retirement fund! :-) I'm almost tempted...

In the '68 KR world, there are some very dedicated people working behind the scenes to keep their eye out for clones, rebodies, etc. There is no way to stop it from happening, the only real protection is information and research. Here is a thread that popped up a few weeks back, makes for some interesting reading:

http://saac.com/index.php?topic=9657.0

I know there are similarly dedicated people watching the new KRs, lets hope that dedication continues...

Chris.

(disclaimer: I am not involved in the auction in any way, just an interested observer)

I believe this seller is the same person that another person contacted SAI about back in July. If it is, the story I was told is that the seller owned or had access to a KR that he used to obtain service parts from Ford.

When there is a dollar to be made people will find and exploit loopholes to line their pockets at the expense of other KR owners.

By the sales fluff in their auction description I'd say someone is trying to line their pockets big time. Although the seller threatens that if doesn't sell we will never see it for sale again, well I have my doubts on that.

Steve

From what I know, those parts came from the "infamous" Torch Red KR that got damaged by hitting a deer. That car started the whole "KR Hood" fiasco with the $20k replacement price. From the little info I gathered, that car is being parted out.

........someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Edit to add: I know the parts are all new in the box but, I believe these new parts and the car I described above are related.

That KR hood is truely a work of art as automotive parts go. The guys verbage in that Ebay listing is nausiating. It is easy to understand why this stuff is irritating owners of genuine KRs. I'll go out on a limb and state that the 08/09 KRs are the most gorgeous Mustang variants that have ever been built. There will be enthusiasts who attempt to capture this look through alternative chanels.

I agree with Speedyman and Steve from SAI.

In the final analysis I don't know why someone who doesn't own a genuine KR would spend way more then he had too on genuine KR parts to get the KR "look". I think its a total waste of money as you can get the KR "look" or clone parts fror much less for your Mustang. Genuine KR parts on a "faux KR look a like" or clone will add no value to the car IMHO. ..I'm saying this and I own a KR.

Now, if an owner of a genuine KR could buy some genuine KR parts at discount now and then when they pop up on ebay...thats not all bad and I could see that. But in the end, I am for maintaining the exclusivity of the KR specific parts.

Not trying to start another one of "those" threads here, but I couldn't help but comment on this eBay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180559914808&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

I gotta tell ya, if *I* had a '08 or '09 GT500....or even just a Mustang....I'd buy that stuff in a heartbeat.

I doubt you'll *ever* find another sale like that one, being that complete.

From the sound of it he's looking for around $20K (note: OUCH!) but that's about the most complete KR "kit" I've ever seen.

Did anyone else notice that his front grille is already drilled and has the Shelby Brake Duct bezels in it?

I thought they came without that and it was up to the customer to install them. Maybe they come with the bezels but not drilled or ducting installed?

Just wonderin'.....

Phill

Hi all,

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ME:B:SS:US:1123

Now the occasional KR part popping up is understandable, but this auction kind of blows the lid off the "keeping the exclusivity" line from Shelby. But If you're betting that '08 KRs are going to follow a '68 KR trend in pricing, then this has got to be a good investment. If something like this popped up for sale today, for a '68KR, it would probably be worth as much as an entire car. Vacuum pack it, store it in a climate-controlled place, and pull it out in 2050 - there's your retirement fund! :-) I'm almost tempted...

In the '68 KR world, there are some very dedicated people working behind the scenes to keep their eye out for clones, rebodies, etc. There is no way to stop it from happening, the only real protection is information and research. Here is a thread that popped up a few weeks back, makes for some interesting reading:

http://saac.com...hp?topic=9657.0

I know there are similarly dedicated people watching the new KRs, lets hope that dedication continues...

Chris.

(disclaimer: I am not involved in the auction in any way, just an interested observer)

I'm no expert, but I think there is a very easy way to tell a real 08 or 09 KR from a fake by using the VIN. The VIN should be able to be used to differentiate them (but like I said, I'm no expert). This thread should be moved to the GT500 section and not the KR section as I doubt any of the KR owners on here are looking to waste money on those over priced parts. This thread will only lead to another useless debate and only goes to prove my point that if someone wanted a KR they could just pay the (roughly) $10k difference in the price over a GT500 and have a real one rather than spend more than that to get (some of) the KR parts and then have a clone that was not worth as much as a real KR. Someone would have to be an idiot to buy these parts for almost $10k when they can add that cash to the price of a GT500 and drive home in a real KR (or am I missing something). The guy who owns these parts should assemble them and hang them on the wall like he says and accept the fact that he has about $1,500 to $2,000 worth of parts on his wall that may be worth something to someone in 40 years when the parts are "unobtainium" as he says.

I'm no expert, but I think there is a very easy way to tell a real 08 or 09 KR from a fake by using the VIN. The VIN should be able to be used to differentiate them (but like I said, I'm no expert).

One of the reasons I started this thread, and used the link to a '68 discussion, is that clones, fakes, and rebodies *do* happen. Now in this wonderful modern age, it will definitely be harder to pull off this sort of thing, but the standard VIN information can only get you so far. Re-bodying and title washing do happen, and some big players have been known to try it. Of course, this doesn't just apply to Shelby's, it applies to anything that sells for a premium over its material costs - artwork, watches, clothing, you name it.

As to whether a KR owner would purchase this? I believe many people that purchased KRs did so with the idea that '08 KRs will follow their '68 brethren in long-term desirability. If you purchased an '08 KR with a view to how desirable it will be be (and lets face it, that translates to "price", whether you are looking to sell or not) in 30 years time, then yes, I would say this kit would be a darned wise purchase.

I didn't end up buying an '08 KR (I bought an '08 S302E instead). If a similar complete S302E Kit came up, then I would buy it in a heartbeat....

Chris.

[PaulW], I think you're looking at it from a different perspective. Forget about the guys verbage in the ad......

Picture the ad with no description at all. All you would see are factory new KR parts.

Now, picture the same ad, without any description, and it's all factory new 1968 KR parts. If you had a 1968 KR that needed restoration and saw those parts, you'd buy them in a flash. While the price is high for these new parts now, in 30 or so years from now, they'll be a bargain. Someone down the road will love to have these parts to restore their 2008/09 KR.

.........i'm not looking at his ad as a way to dress up a V-6. I'm looking way beyond that.

I'm no expert, but I think there is a very easy way to tell a real 08 or 09 KR from a fake by using the VIN. The VIN should be able to be used to differentiate them (but like I said, I'm no expert). This thread should be moved to the GT500 section and not the KR section as I doubt any of the KR owners on here are looking to waste money on those over priced parts. This thread will only lead to another useless debate and only goes to prove my point that if someone wanted a KR they could just pay the (roughly) $10k difference in the price over a GT500 and have a real one rather than spend more than that to get (some of) the KR parts and then have a clone that was not worth as much as a real KR. Someone would have to be an idiot to buy these parts for almost $10k when they can add that cash to the price of a GT500 and drive home in a real KR (or am I missing something). The guy who owns these parts should assemble them and hang them on the wall like he says and accept the fact that he has about $1,500 to $2,000 worth of parts on his wall that may be worth something to someone in 40 years when the parts are "unobtainium" as he says.

Just watched a 2009 KR with 24 miles on the clock sell for 48.5K at Meccum Auction on Speed. No point in piecing together a high dollar fake.

09KR0369... I saw that. That was a freaking STEAL! Why the seller let it go for that I'll never understand.

A steal meaning that the car would have sold for considerably more elsewhere? Unlikely that this was the very first sales offering for that particular KR.

The KRs have sold for low 50s 6-8 months ago. 48.5K is not anything at all surprising at this point in time. New cars depreciate regardless of what enthusiasts and current owners "feel" they should sell for. This KR sold for what another individual interested and capable was willing to pay.

Times are tough. People are losing their houses and jobs....toys are always the 1st to go.

I completely agree with you but a 2009 could very well get another $3-$4k wholesaled to a dealership. It is very sad though to see someone have to sell a car like that because of financial troubles.

Don't forget to add the Barrett Jackson commission. I think its 10% of the selling price to the seller and buyer.

Therefore the car actually sold for around $52.5K.

Also, the other question is was the car NEW or was it already titled. If already titled its technically a used car. As a used car the selling price doesn't shock me. Not in todays economy.

It gets even better the guy is now stating: "There was 1 reason and ONE reason only why I purchased these items. I wanted to assemble the entire front end and hang it on my wall for a display with working lights etc."

HORSE-POOP, when I met him he was in bad need of cash as he had been unemployed for MANY months! This guys lies never stop!

It gets even better the guy is now stating: "There was 1 reason and ONE reason only why I purchased these items. I wanted to assemble the entire front end and hang it on my wall for a display with working lights etc."

HORSE-POOP, when I met him he was in bad need of cash as he had been unemployed for MANY months! This guys lies never stop!

Seems a little on the mean side, don't you think? I mean what is the guy suppose to say? Come take advantage of my terrible situation?

He has the parts. He's trying to sell them for the most he can.

He tried to sell you a KR without title? Really? His? The one he hit the deer with? Is he some kinda mechanic or body man?

He tried to sell it to me in late December 2008 when the car had 30 miles on it. I drove through a snowstorm 280 miles to buy it and when he didn't have the title I had to come home empty handed. PM me with your email address and I'll let you read the email exchange. The guy is a piece of work and if he hadn't been so far away, he would have regretted saying what he did about my wife and kids.

He's claiming he got the all the KR parts for a display, not for his wrecked KR. The guy is a liar, his story changed to me every time I talked to him. I'm delighted his car is dead! :slapfight:

Does anyone have the CSM number for the wrecked KR? I would like to verify the registry entry.

LMK

Steve

I'm working on that Steve. If I find something, you'll be the first to know.

Don't forget, i'm also working on something else for you.

Archived