TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The "Champ's" Visit

I almost forgot I had this picture stored away. I am just now becoming savvy enough to use my scanner. It's low res. so that it would attach to this thread. Sorry for that.

In December 2006 a very good customer of our bicycle store who was a personal friend/physical therapist of Ali, called in the morning and asked if we were both going to be at the store that afternoon and that he had a Christmas gift for us. Here we are thinking it would be a bottle of wine or something!? OMG...it definitely wasn't a bottle of wine!!! :hysterical:

They pulled up right in front of the shop door and as they got out of Ali's Suburban and our friend helped him out of the passenger front seat and grabbed him his walker, we couldn't believe our eyes! At the time there was only one customer in the store. He was dumbfounded, just as we were. Greg held the door open for him and Mohammad 'slowly' with the use of his walker, approached our back counter. Unfortuneately with this disease, he isn't able to speak, and needs the walker. But let me tell you my TS brothers and sisters.....his handshake could still have squeezed off my fingers!! Lol. Look at his shoulders. He is still VERY strong, as he continues to lift weight and does lots of physical therapy. That's what our friend Greg does with him when he's at his home in Az. Greg had never led on over the years that he even knew Ali. That spoke to his character, I think. Man oh man, what a Christmas present that was, to meet the Champ!

:happy feet:

Enjoy, BIKEBOY

Not that anyone will see anyone else in the photo besides the "Champ".......but the bald headed guy on the right is me. The handsome Italian on the left is , (was) my partner at the store. he is my wife's brother. Yes....we were both very lucky guys that day!

That is awesome. He had a tough time back in the day, and is having a tough time now, and now, just like then, won't give up.

I'll never forget the Atlanta Olympics opening ceremony. It still brings a chill when I see it. We were at a friends watching it on TV and as they were coming through the stadium we were guessing who it was. I said "It would be cool if it were Muhammad Ali". There was no hint whatsoever, other than it was a sporting celebrity. Everyone's chin dropped when it was him, and everyone was a little choked up to see him.

"Oh my".

Funny how time changes an opinion about somebody.........................I can remember in his heyday everyone couldn't wait for somebody to beat the crap outa him.

I almost forgot I had this picture stored away. I am just now becoming savvy enough to use my scanner. It's low res. so that it would attach to this thread. Sorry for that.

In December 2006 a very good customer of our bicycle store who was a personal friend/physical therapist of Ali, called in the morning and asked if we were both going to be at the store that afternoon and that he had a Christmas gift for us. Here we are thinking it would be a bottle of wine or something!? OMG...it definitely wasn't a bottle of wine!!! :hysterical:

They pulled up right in front of the shop door and as they got out of Ali's Suburban and our friend helped him out of the passenger front seat and grabbed him his walker, we couldn't believe our eyes! At the time there was only one customer in the store. He was dumbfounded, just as we were. Greg held the door open for him and Mohammad 'slowly' with the use of his walker, approached our back counter. Unfortuneately with this disease, he isn't able to speak, and needs the walker. But let me tell you my TS brothers and sisters.....his handshake could still have squeezed off my fingers!! Lol. Look at his shoulders. He is still VERY strong, as he continues to lift weight and does lots of physical therapy. That's what our friend Greg does with him when he's at his home in Az. Greg had never led on over the years that he even knew Ali. That spoke to his character, I think. Man oh man, what a Christmas present that was, to meet the Champ!

:happy feet:

Enjoy, BIKEBOY

Awesome story and what a gift congrats bud...I met him also back in 1984 he was in

Halfax Nova Scotia when Trevor Berbick fought Larry Holmes...I did get to shake hands

with him and got him to autograph a dollar bill...IMO he was in his prime the best HW

of all time without a dought and a great human being.

That is awesome. He had a tough time back in the day, and is having a tough time now, and now, just like then, won't give up.

I'll never forget the Atlanta Olympics opening ceremony. It still brings a chill when I see it. We were at a friends watching it on TV and as they were coming through the stadium we were guessing who it was. I said "It would be cool if it were Muhammad Ali". There was no hint whatsoever, other than it was a sporting celebrity. Everyone's chin dropped when it was him, and everyone was a little choked up to see him.

"Oh my".

Yes...thanks for that as well! And to quote Dick Enberg...."OH MY"!

Archived