TEAM SHELBY FORUM

tips to buy 2008 GT500

Sun57

I am looking at a 2008 shelby gt500. How would I know if the car has the clutch problem or if the TSB has been done? Do all gt500 have the clutch problems? The car has 9k on it with two previous owners. So I'm wondering why two owners want to get rid of it. But then Ford sells it as a certified pre owned. Any tips to what to look for?

Have them pull an Oasis report if they are serious about selling it and show it to you. It would have every TSB and work that has been done on it at a Ford Dealership. And it cost them nothing.

As far why it's sold twice, it's always a mystery...Some people just may not like the car. Or financial problems could have arisen, no telling. It would be nice to be able to talk to the last previous owner though.

I would look into when making the deal if they would through in or discount the Ford Premium Extended Warranty as well. For my 07, it was around $1250 or so.

Have them pull an Oasis report if they are serious about selling it and show it to you. It would have every TSB and work that has been done on it at a Ford Dealership. And it cost them nothing.

As far why it's sold twice, it's always a mystery...Some people just may not like the car. Or financial problems could have arisen, no telling. It would be nice to be able to talk to the last previous owner though.

I would look into when making the deal if they would through in or discount the Ford Premium Extended Warranty as well. For my 07, it was around $1250 or so.

Thanks for the response texasshelby. I'm assuming an Oasis report is a Ford official report and sales rep would know about them? I have a feeling I will get a blank stare and the guy will not know what I'm talking about. If they do provide it, I guess my question is, can that document be altered to hide things? Did you get your Oasis report for your 07? Thanks for the tip on the Ford Preimum Extended Warranty.

Chances are salesmen will not know what an OASIS report is.

In addition to looking over the car yourself, you'll need (2) things. An OASIS report and the VIN# from the car so you can get a carfax report.

Have the dealership run the VIN through their system to see what has been done to the vehicle since 1st ownership.

Just because the car has had 2 owners, doesn't mean something is wrong. I traded a perfectly good '08 GT-500 into the dealer for an '09 KR. My car had the clutch TSB done successfully and only had 3490 miles on it.

No report for mine, it was a very early 07 (delivered early 4th quarter 06) and I am the first owner. But if I bought a used one, that would be a deal breaker if they wouldn't.

To my knowledge they cannot be altered.

But FLA has a good point, jot down the VIN of the car you are looking at so you can compare it to the VIN on the report and make them provide a CARFAX report as well.

Thanks Fiacobra and Texasshelby for your help. I got a copy of the car fax and oasis report. Everything looks clean. Until I took the wife with me to look at the car around 11pm. My wife noticed that the stripes on the rear bumper is new because of the color is not matching the one on the trunk. Also the stripes on the front bumper is not even, probably a new one also. I looked underneath both the bumpers and I can't really tell if it got into an accident (maybe I should have asked the wife but she was carrying my one month old daughter :doh: ). The dealer wont tell me straight and the car fax does not show anything. (From asking around, car fax will not show minor accidents on their reports, only major). So based on this info:

1. Dealer is giving a 7k discount from KBB"s value of 44k to 37k

2. two previous owners

3. Dealer do not know if it was invovled in any accidents

4. Rear and Front bumper is probably new based on the stripes (I mean why would they change the stripes? Unless the bumpers are repaired)

I think i'll pass. My gut feeling is telling me that something is just not right.

Your feeling is probably right, but a closer exam might do the trick during daylight hours.

A previous owner may have used drive through car washes and that could have removed the stripes in question. Or a number of other reasons that may have resulted in changing the stripes.

If they can't explain it, and you really like the car, go back down, tell them to put it up on a lift for you to look it, or let you take somewhere you can. Any major damage should show up there.

Or stick to your gut feeling and let that one pass and look for another one. Pondering.gif

Gut feelings are usually right in my experience :)

37k is probably a couple grand high for the car right now unless it's got super low miles.

I bought my '07 with 36 miles on it for 36k... car still had the plastic on the seats and window sticker on the window. That was last year as well.

Check out Ebay, that's where I got mine.

Archived