TEAM SHELBY FORUM

For Yamahar1 all about the S197 Mustang

mikspny

My story is a bit unusual (so I've been told) and since it involves a Mustang I will share my story in hopes that it will liven up this site in the Mustang category. I agree with Yamahar1 regarding the thrill level on this site. I've only been visiting since November, it is the first Forum I have ever even tried to use, let alone play on. It has been fun and I "like" a lot of you on here and have spent a lot of time laughing my rear off over some of your humor.

So, not being one to complain and not try to fix, here is my story. It started in 1978 at Sacramento Raceway...High Shcool Drags and one real cool 69' Fastback. Well, I got to drive it....ON GIRLS night. I also drove a 1972 Nova. But that Mustang made my heart pound, it was beautiful. My mom bought a 1979 Mustang...ugh, what a cute car for a mom. Anyway I never really liked the Mustangs after 1970 and really always had a thing for Porshes and Beamers. So my first new car was a Rabbit GTI...nice. Then I drove diesel trucks....for twenty something years. I loved the sound and later learned to realize...the torque.

Fast forward 2005....driving my kids to school, in my deisel Excursion....rear view mirror...Burgundy GT Mustang circa 2005. I could not breath, that car absolutely took my breath away. I whipped out my cell, called my husband and said "I am going to buy a new Mustang". Well as most of you know it was not going to be that easy. They were hard to find....ohhhh, I love a good hunt. Three months later I bought my sweet little Mineral Gray GT (my Avatar). I subscribed to every Mustang magazine known to man....the mods started with a fury...and my Dad said (Porsche guy) "hey, why don't you take that Ford on the track?" He wasn't talk'n drag strip either. Well, I did and I've been on that slippery sloap ever since. See my sig and you can see how the car is today. We won't talk about my Shelby.

I've been to a bunch of racing schools, in my Mustang and have done a ton of track time. Many have suggested I race a Miata....well remember what I said about torque....I gotta have it. Also handling. I do get concerned when I see so much focus on HP when the underside is largely ignored....especially in the 500hp variety. OOOps, back on track. I have my ARC racing license and am going for my SCCA license in three weeks. My first race is supposed to be in April. My Mustang will have it's log book on the 24th. Something else I find interesting is there are not very many of these cars in road racing.....oh my gosh....there should be. I'm not sure how to say this but these cars can kick some SERIOUS foriegn butt. Not to mention a little Chevy too.

One more thing. I'm a 44 year old mom who is stupid over these cars. This information will either make you think I could not possibly know what I'm talking about or it will give you something to talk about!!

Here...here to the S197 one hell of a car....before the Shelby GT500!

My story is a bit unusual (so I've been told) and since it involves a Mustang I will share my story in hopes that it will liven up this site in the Mustang category. I agree with Yamahar1 regarding the thrill level on this site. I've only been visiting since November, it is the first Forum I have ever even tried to use, let alone play on. It has been fun and I "like" a lot of you on here and have spent a lot of time laughing my rear off over some of your humor.

So, not being one to complain and not try to fix, here is my story. It started in 1978 at Sacramento Raceway...High Shcool Drags and one real cool 69' Fastback. Well, I got to drive it....ON GIRLS night. I also drove a 1972 Nova. But that Mustang made my heart pound, it was beautiful. My mom bought a 1979 Mustang...ugh, what a cute car for a mom. Anyway I never really liked the Mustangs after 1970 and really always had a thing for Porshes and Beamers. So my first new car was a Rabbit GTI...nice. Then I drove diesel trucks....for twenty something years. I loved the sound and later learned to realize...the torque.

Fast forward 2005....driving my kids to school, in my deisel Excursion....rear view mirror...Burgundy GT Mustang circa 2005. I could not breath, that car absolutely took my breath away. I whipped out my cell, called my husband and said "I am going to buy a new Mustang". Well as most of you know it was not going to be that easy. They were hard to find....ohhhh, I love a good hunt. Three months later I bought my sweet little Mineral Gray GT (my Avatar). I subscribed to every Mustang magazine known to man....the mods started with a fury...and my Dad said (Porsche guy) "hey, why don't you take that Ford on the track?" He wasn't talk'n drag strip either. Well, I did and I've been on that slippery sloap ever since. See my sig and you can see how the car is today. We won't talk about my Shelby.

I've been to a bunch of racing schools, in my Mustang and have done a ton of track time. Many have suggested I race a Miata....well remember what I said about torque....I gotta have it. Also handling. I do get concerned when I see so much focus on HP when the underside is largely ignored....especially in the 500hp variety. OOOps, back on track. I have my ARC racing license and am going for my SCCA license in three weeks. My first race is supposed to be in April. My Mustang will have it's log book on the 24th. Something else I find interesting is there are not very many of these cars in road racing.....oh my gosh....there should be. I'm not sure how to say this but these cars can kick some SERIOUS foriegn butt. Not to mention a little Chevy too.

One more thing. I'm a 44 year old mom who is stupid over these cars. This information will either make you think I could not possibly know what I'm talking about or it will give you something to talk about!!

Let me start by saying....Will you adopt me..... :baby: ....I must say, nice story, and I am jealous! You have some fine cars there. I have always loved mustangs, for some reason. My dad retired from GM, and I grew up in a GM town, don't know why I was not a Camaro or Corvette guy. I love Mustangs....It was born on the same day as me! Wow, I wish I had the kind of funding for my stang! I just dropped like $1500 and did not even make a dent in the handling area. I am driving a vertible though, so I won't be racing much. I must say though, you are probably one of the only people on here with a car that can whoop my bike in a race! I am glad to see another mustang enthusiast. This site is dead though. I have been here for a year, and so many good people are gone now. We used to have some really good debates. I mostly just read everything back then, because I did not have my 'stang yet. Now, I get a stang, and the site is dead, go figure. I have been reading Mustang Forums a lot though, there is way more people and tech on there. I have just invested so much time here, it is hard to leave. I guess I just hate to give up. Your cars sound awesome though, keep the stories coming, definatly it will liven the place up a bit.

Very cool story.

I bet you never had a mini van. :hysterical:

I had two. Niether lasted a year. Could not figure out the problem,.... they were so practical. No sound, no torque and front wheel drive...bye bye mini vans. Lost my financial rear on that little turn in the road.

I had two. Niether lasted a year. Could not figure out the problem,.... they were so practical. No sound, no torque and front wheel drive...bye bye mini vans. Lost my financial rear on that little turn in the road.

GREAT story keep them coming.

Ms Pony - I love what your doing with the S197. Thanks for sharing your unique story. Don't get me wrong - I think the GT500 is a great car but get a S197 coupe and strip it out until its down into the 2500# range. Then tweak the suspension and put a big set of binders and get the HP up to around 400. Now that's what I'm talking about :happy feet:

I understand the interest in NASCAR and NHRA but what I don't understand is the seeming lack of interest in road racing. Go to the Team Ford Racing site and try to find more than a passing mention buried several links down that Mustangs kicked serious Porsche and BMW M3 keester at Daytona. :banghead:

Maybe if Chevrolet fields a serious team with the new Camaro and Daimler Chrysler does the same we'll take the retro craze one more step to a competitive road circuit like the Trans Am series of the 70's. I hope so - it would be good for all the companies

yamahar1 - He just called you on your bitchin. Bring this site to life, or it is all on your shoulders.

HSURB

Did he just tell me to shut up :boring: , ROLF,,,funny. Can I refer you to the hand, or Bite Me? :stop: Your choice! I agree, members are dropping like flys. I just hope you guys like what is left of the site when people finish leaving. Seems like it is dead to me, tell me to shut, I just tell it like I see it.

yamahar1 - He just called you on your bitchin. Bring this site to life, or it is all on your shoulders.

HSURB

Love that picture man, reminds me of a bad hair morning.....after too much to drink night.....so funny...you could use that mugshot of the freak astronaut also if you like....she is cute, not!

Great story!

There's definitely something about the S197 that's just "right" in the way it looks and sits... I can only imagine getting to take em out on a road course and tear it up!

- Tony

A lot of people have recieved their cars and are busy modding them, others are snowed in or it's too cold to mess w/ their cars, others are just plain busy being the beginning of a new year. I see a few people gone, but I don't see them on other sites either? Why all the hype?

No hype, I am just bored waiting for my parts and the warm weather! Drive on guy, I just don't appreciate it when people say shut up. Kiss my keaster! Not you, but you know what I mean. I just miss some of the people who used to be here when I first came here. No big deal, new people will make me happy. Maybe when most of the US comes back from the frigid weather, the site will pick up again. Later gaters.......

Archived